Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Day 11 - Tue 22nd Feb – NOISE AND AIR

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Inquiry Day 11 (Tuesday, morning) – Noise And Air

Two witnesses called this morning; Mr. Andrew Colthurst (Noise) and Mrs. Hannah Dalton (Air).

1. Noise
Fitting that the Inquiry should be discussing Ambient Noise Levels this morning, what with the pneumatic drill / electric generator rattling away outside and the PA system humming away inside. Seeing as how Mr. Colhurst was described as an expert in the field of acoustics, noise and vibration I see no good reason why he should not have been despatched to tell the workmen to shut the f*** up, but instead he restricted himself to reading his evidence and fielding cross examinations. As indeed he should. His stint in the witness box took up about three quarters of the morning session.

Basically Noise Disturbance came down to proximity of the site to local residential areas. As you might expect; of the three plausible sites which have not been comprehensively ruled out for other reasons, a relatively large number of Sheepcote Valley residents in Wilson Avenue could be expected to suffer significant noise disturbance both during site construction, operational use and ‘thirty second noise levels’ i.e. when the Albion score. Similarly a relatively large number of Toad’s Hall Valley residents in King George VI Avenue could be expected to suffer significant noise disturbance both during site construction, operational use and ‘thirty second noise levels’. Mr. Colthurst confirmed that the respective scores in the various categories for Toad’s Hall Valley and Falmer were remarkably similar, but that Falmer clearly came out as the preferred option because taking equivalent measures from the centre circle to the nearest residents, some 230 metres away, Downland Drive has a significantly larger number of residents than Falmer which has only The Old Rectory and St. Lawrences House the same distance from the site.

Mr White (for Lewes District Council) asked Mr. Colthurst if he had done a full Transport Assessment to measure exactly the current noise levels and the projected noise levels. Mr. Colthurst confirmed he had not, but said in as many words that the more residents there are in the immediate vicinity of the site, the more the Noise Disturbance would inevitably be. Which is sort of stating the bleeding obvious, but there you go. Maybe having to concede to on the number of residents front, Mr. Hopkins (for Falmer Parish Council) asked had Mr. Colthurst considered the impact of Noise disturbance on the ‘600’ Sussex Uni Students in Halls of Residence on the Falmer site. Mr. Colthurst said that they hadn’t as they were not in line of sight of the, er, site, and were in fact round the back of the Uni buildings tucked behind a hill. Which came as a bit of a surprise to Mr. Hopkins as he thought they were at the front of the buildings. Gotta admire his recovery tho. Within seconds he was asking what about the recent planning permission given for accomodation for 450 students round the front of the building. News to many of us, including Mr. Clay for the Albion who promptly accused Mr.Hopkins of ‘not for the first time’ being ‘a conduit for evidence’ i.e. producing his own proof which had not been submitted to the Inquiry. Not sure that we-only-just-found-out-about-it will do somehow. The photocopier is glowing red-hot as we speak, and this one will have the meter running for a bit of time yet methinks. Ker-ching!

2. Air
Mrs. Hannah Dalton (Air) took the stand for the final half hour of the morning session. To sum up, I could quite easily do a copy’n’paste job on the entry above for ‘Noise’. Because – big surprise there! – the more residents in the area, the more traffic queues, the more exhaust emissions, the more degradation of the air quality with associated risks to human health. Mr White (for Lewes District Council) asked Mrs. Dalton if she had done a full Transport Assessment. Well he would do, wouldn’t he? Again the answer was no. But under construction, more heavily populated residential areas would suffer more Dust Nuisance, offset to some extent by ‘Dust Nuisance Mitigation Measures’. But in effect the simple equation was more nearby residents = more nuisance. As you might expect. The closing soundbite from Mrs. Dalton was that in terms of Falmer vs. Other Potential Sites with regard to general impact on air quality, all are ‘equal or worse’. No further questions.

And no further questions from me. I’m done with all this. My brain has melted into slush faster than the cover-free Withdean playing surface. I can no longer tell my Sheepcotes from my Toads Halls, my LDC from my FPC. I’m outta here. By sustainable method of transport. Naturally. Falmer for All!

Keep The Faith :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Thanks for that, so none of the sites were better which they need to be.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Top stuf Tom. I'm going along on Friday for a sniff, hope to see some VICIOUS cross-examining from Mr Clay.

Megan in a crop-top would be nice as well, but probably too much to hope for.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Easy 10 said:
Top stuf Tom. I'm going along on Friday for a sniff, hope to see some VICIOUS cross-examining from Mr Clay.

Megan in a crop-top would be nice as well, but probably too much to hope for.

Ned & I were there this morning. Ned has also fallen under Megan's spell :(

He wants to see her in Albion's stripes.
The spare room may be awaiting ???

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Re: Inquiry Day 11 (Tuesday, morning) – Noise And Air

Tom Hark said:
Seeing as how Mr. Colhurst was described as an expert in the field of acoustics, noise and vibration I see no good reason why he should not have been despatched to tell the workmen to shut the f*** up

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :clap2: :thumbsup:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
"Within seconds he was asking what about the recent planning permission given for accomodation for 450 students round the front of the building. News to many of us,"

I dont want to say I told you so, but I put this on NSC a couple of weeks ago and wondered at the time how this could have gone through on the nod with not a whimper of disgust from the NIMBY's:angel:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Yorkie said:
For you so that Megan can move in with Ned? :lolol: :jester:

Offers wrists for a good slapping

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Hopkins was even trying to use the student accommodation to say that the stadium would have a greater impact of noise on 'residents' by the students being there.
Since when did students object to noise? If the games were on a Saturday morning I could understand it as they'd be sleeping off hangovers, but by Sat afternoon most of them would be up and out.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Some of the students could also become part-time BHAFC fans during their three year educational sojourn.

Sea

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
The halls of residence up at falmer isnt that near to where the stadium would be, its down the hill quite a bit further on and theyre all spread out away from the direction of the stadium anyway so i doubt that they would be that affected by it

Sea

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
Beach Hut said:
Some of the students could also become part-time BHAFC fans during their three year educational sojourn.
Exactly, lots of people i know that are studying down here would love to go and see a brighton game, but cant for obvious reasons and instead they go to watch southampton!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If I remember rightly the new residences will be between the railway and the A27 just past the station (travelling from Lewes)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yorkie said:
Ned & I were there this morning. Ned has also fallen under Megan's spell :(

He wants to see her in Albion's stripes.
She has a bewitching presence, Yorkie. Its undeniable.

Neds only human.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I'm still waiting to find out if the spare room is for Yorkie, Ned or Megan

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Beach Hut said:

That's right. I used to watch Bradford City when I was at uni and the Albion weren't playing up north.

There'll be a few non-Albion supporters who'd love to go along.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The student angle is not to be sneezed at.

Only a small fraction of the students who turned out en masse for the Red Sox and Patriots celebrations this year are natives.

Boston's massive student population is a constant source of new Sox fans especially, BU being a stone's throw from Fenway Park. Kids from places without a major league team already sort of adopt the Sox.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Everest said:
I'm still waiting to find out if the spare room is for Yorkie, Ned or Megan

She didn't even glance his way.

He'll be in the spare room until he takes the silly look on his face ;)

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Yorkie said:
If I remember rightly the new residences will be between the railway and the A27 just past the station (travelling from Lewes)

If that is the case then aren't the students going to be more disturbed by the constant noise of the trains and traffic rather than 2 hours 23 times a season. And I suspect that if the residences have been agreed to go there then the planning and building would include provision for double glazing?

The words straws, at and clutching spring to mind.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yorkie said:

He'll be in the spare room until he takes the silly look on his face ;)

Long time then?:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here