Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Day 10 - Thu 17th Feb - FICKLE C.P.R.E.

dave the gaffer said:
Agreed but there is no chance that Brighton and Hove would pass a planning application for this as it does not meet the Local Plan and also the sustainable transport agrument.

That is why I am so concerned over the apparent shift towards Sheepcoat Valley
One of the criteria that every alleged alternative site has to be assessed against is:-

Is the site available?

The City Council (as Owner of the Site and as Local Planning Authority) will present evidence to the Inquiry that the answer to this question, as far as Sheepcote Valley is concerned, is NO.

End of.

But be prepared for this evidence to be challenged at the Inquiry by Falmer Parish Council, Lewes District Council and anyone else who wants Sheepcote Valley.

Last edited:

perseus said:
(even if the Council waylaid these objections with a Scrutiny Committee)
Brighton & Hove City Council don't have Scrutiny Committees.

They have retained the old local government system of decision making service committees (which is only allowed, where Councils have held a referendum on whether to introduce an elected Mayor and voters have rejected the idea).

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Scarface said:
It amazes me that this inquiry has gone on for so long and I am yet to read about a decent solid arguement against Falmer or in favour of another site.:shrug:

Agreed. I thought the purpose of this enquiry was for opponents to Falmer to try and prove other viable options/sites within the criteria laid down by the OPDM. All I seem to be reading is the same tired old anti-Falmer arguments.

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Another long day at the inquiry yesterday, must of been about half six by the time we were out of there last night.
From my point of view this inquiry is getting interesting, not just because the lovely Megan is there, but the fact that it is interesting to see how the system of inquiries work, and I am actually beginning to understand it more from what I did at the last inquiry.
Even though this inquiry has a serious side to it concerning the future of our club, there are quite a few good comedy moments, and in a way it makes the atmosphere feel more relaxed.

Anyway on to yesteday, still very cold in the chamber and everyone having to sit wearing hats, Coats, Scarfs, blackets, eskimo suits, but there again that is nothing like what withdean can be like.
First up were Pinky and Perky(Mr Allden and Mr Summerfield) of the CPRE who both put their case across in Support of Sheepcote valley even though their story was different from last year.
And as Lord B mentions in his report there was some confussion on the issue if the CPRE wanted a stadium built on Sheepcote or not, and a sudden U-turn was on the cards and of course Mr Clay pointed this fact out to them, of which was was denied.
During this period, the phone in the Chamber rings, and Mr Clay pointing to the phone and says to the inspector "It's for you Sir" this had everyone laughing, even the Nimbys broke into a smile. Prehaps it was Mr Prescott on the other end telling the inspector to hurry up with the inquiry. The phone was unplugged by a council member so that the rest of that session could proceed in peace.

David anorak Bangs (Friends of Whitehawk Hill) was next to enter the dock, he treated us to a two to three hour lecturer about the Stadium needing an urban location and suggesting other alternative locations. He had one of those tones of voices that make you want go to sleep and at times I was finding hard to keep my concentration. But in theory Mr Bangs was doing us a favour by saying that Sheepcote, Waterhall and Toads Hole should stay untouched. But the problem was he was mentioning these other sites, Goldstone, Benfield Valley etc, and one of them the Dolphin Industrial estate, Kingston Buci is situated at the bottom of my road where Shoreham FC have their home.
Even though this would be a nice 2 minute walk for me, a 22.000 seater stadium would not fit there, plus would of course cause serious congestion in the surrounding area, surely this bloke is just having a laugh. Next he would want me to increase the size of my garden, lay down a lawn and put a couple of seats around the edge.

After lunch it was time for Mr Clays cross examination of Mr Bangs, which saw quite a good debate going on, on whether Mr Bangs anwered Mr Clays questions or not and whether he would answer them at all. Mr Bangs was refusing to answer Mr Clays questions with a direct answer, a simple yes or no would have done, but no Mr Bangs either kept changing the subject or going around the houses before he could come to some sort of an answer. This debate got quite heated and on several occasions and the inspector had to verbally intervene to make sure their was no fisticuffs.

The afternoon to late session involved Hazel McKay (Regency Society) and her sidekick Laptop. She also went on for about two hours talking about congestion and putting a case across for Shoreham harbour, from this point I had switched off slightly thinking I've heard it all before. I either switched my attention to looking around the room or briefly looking across in Megan's direction. The poor girl I think was finding it hard to consentrate on doing her job as it was getting so late, but from what I have seen her doing during this inquiry she does an excellent job, and it very dedicated to her work.

And that was about it for the day, hopefully the heating in the chamber will be fixed by next week because the forecast for next week does not look very good.
I will be there on tuesday, if it snows I will Ski all the way from Shoreham.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
ShorehamGull said:
I will be there on tuesday, if I snows I will Ski all the way from Shoreham. [/B]

Great report SG. See you next week ias long as the snow does not stop the bus from Seaford
PS I thought the lovely Megan looked very cold as well as tired.
Hope she is not ill as a result.

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Gaffer said:
Great report SG. See you next week ias long as the snow does not stop the bus from Seaford
PS I thought the lovely Megan looked very cold as well as tired.
Hope she is not ill as a result.

I am sure I can find a way of warming her up,

See yer next week Gaffer:wave:

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
pasty said:
Agreed. I thought the purpose of this enquiry was for opponents to Falmer to try and prove other viable options/sites within the criteria laid down by the OPDM. All I seem to be reading is the same tired old anti-Falmer arguments.

That was my thoughts today I once I carefully re-read the letter from the Deputy prime minister about the re-opening of the inquiry. The opposition have still been unable the meet the all the criteria set out, so all the arguments they have put across so far are either being repeated from the last inquiry or is being well crushed by our club lawyer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here