Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Wheater for England...

Skidmarks

Feb 12, 2008
Woolworths
i was more intrigued as to why it made you 'laugh and 'laugh' and talk about who everyone in your family supports;)

hhmmm, let me see, Spurs and Gooner fans have a far better opinion of players like Walcott and Lennon than a Brighton fan who watches Arsenal on tv up in Newcastle, you make me laugh because you have no back-up to your opinions on players who you have never watched and never will, unlike myself. To mention Walcott is in fine form is like saying Ronaldo is in off-form, you sound like someone who judges players on Highlights you might get on MOTD.
Whats next, recall Mclaren?

Oct 25, 2003
hhmmm, let me see, Spurs and Gooner fans have a far better opinion of players like Walcott and Lennon than a Brighton fan who watches Arsenal on tv up in Newcastle, you make me laugh because you have no back-up to your opinions on players who you have never watched and never will, unlike myself. To mention Walcott is in fine form is like saying Ronaldo is in off-form, you sound like someone who judges players on Highlights you might get on MOTD.
Whats next, recall Mclaren?

1. of course it is, never said it was
2. 'unlike myself' - i thought it was your family?!
3. i have seen both players play (newcastle/sunderland are in the premiership yeah?)
4. yep, some of my opinions are based on highlights, some are based on live performances, big deal

christ, i'll think twice before i DARE to state an opinion:lolol:

Skidmarks

Feb 12, 2008
Woolworths
I really dont see what Theo has done to get a call up? I guess its more down to the fact we have no English forwards.

Gotta to be a link with Arsenal and England, not the first time this has happened.
Having an England international player playing for Arsenal will be an obvious get out clause for all the critism Arsenal have been getting for not having any decent English talent.

Skidmarks

Feb 12, 2008
Woolworths
1. of course it is, never said it was
2. 'unlike myself' - i thought it was your family?!
3. i have seen both players play (newcastle/sunderland are in the premiership yeah?)
4. yep, some of my opinions are based on highlights, some are based on live performances, big deal

christ, i'll think twice before i DARE to state an opinion:lolol:

. Newcastle/sunderland are in the premiership yeah? correct, one right.
But here has to be one word for your response... BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Christ, i'll think twice before i DARE to state an opinion', Yes i would strongly recommend that instead of lying.
As i'v said before i have family who watch Arsenal and Spurs home and away, Spurs are playing Newcastle on March 30th at st James park and Arsenal are at sunderland on the last day of the season!.
Lennon was injured aginst Sunderland and Walcott wasn't even on the bench against Newcastle but yet you've seen them both...hhmmm!!

Yet again an opinion based on lies, I think you now see why i may be SO intriged to tell you who my family support! because they don't talk shit and pretend they watch football so they can have a footie debate!!

plz no more lame and sourceless responses, its like debating Albion with a Geordie

:bigwave::bigwave::bigwave::bigwave::bigwave:

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2003
hmmmm........not sure i said this season, pretty sure i saw lennon last season vs the TOON

anyway, this is all a bit PATHETIC isn't it.........seeing as its a debate about NOTHING.......lets gets back to the actual 'footie debate'

who would you have over walcott?!

Skidmarks

Feb 12, 2008
Woolworths
hmmmm........not sure i said this season, pretty sure i saw lennon last season vs the TOON

anyway, this is all a bit PATHETIC isn't it.........seeing as its a debate about NOTHING.......lets gets back to the actual 'footie debate'

who would you have over walcott?!

No one, as the squad is to be brought down to 23 (i think), having Walcott in the squad just shows how poor England are at the moment .
Defoe is the next worst player to Walcott up front, yes he has scored for Pompey but how many of them have been from pens?
The England team is a joke hence why there not in the Euro champs this summer.
I would like to see players like Nolan (Bolton Captain), Ashton, Noble etc rather than Walcott, Defoe,Beckham etc.
We have 2 years till the next competition and i think the building should begin now by avoiding players who aren't good enough or past it , playing potential who perform well at club level is the way to plan forward.

ps Lennon was awful last season against the toon, remember the miss of the season he made?

Well let's not over-estimate the old guard just because we are familiar with their names.

Ashley Cole shouldn't be anywhere near an England shirt, for example.

The likes of Agbonlahor, Young and Wheater can just as easily be the new breed - and actually start winning some games

Wheater's playing well but will he get a game? If not he'd be better off in the U21s.

I'm surprised Carrick hasn't got a look in, I'd have thought he'd be Capello's type of player, and is playing well. Rob Green is in much better form than Carson.

Also it seems odd that players like Lennon and Huddlestone aren't in the U21s OR the senior squad.

Nah, neither Lennon or Huddlestone are consistent, or effective enough. Decent Prem journeymen that have their moments for their club, but England quality?
It must fall even more to qualify those two, in my opinion.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
No one, as the squad is to be brought down to 23 (i think), having Walcott in the squad just shows how poor England are at the moment .
Defoe is the next worst player to Walcott up front, yes he has scored for Pompey but how many of them have been from pens?
The England team is a joke hence why there not in the Euro champs this summer.
I would like to see players like Nolan (Bolton Captain), Ashton, Noble etc rather than Walcott, Defoe,Beckham etc.
We have 2 years till the next competition and i think the building should begin now by avoiding players who aren't good enough or past it , playing potential who perform well at club level is the way to plan forward.

ps Lennon was awful last season against the toon, remember the miss of the season he made?

you talk so much shit in this thread it's untrue. if you had seen walcott lately he clearly has been on good form. and a marked improvement from earlier this season. and you continue to bang on about on form players etc etc why even mention ashton, noble and nolan?! nolan has done nothing for about 2 years since everyone wanted him in the squad. noble doesn't start for west ham when everyone is fit, and ashton looks terrible ever since he came back (and one good goal doesn't change poor performance after poor performance)

since defoe has joined pompey he has looked like his old self.. which may not be a world beater, but definitely worth a place in the squad. walcott would not play up front for england if he did feature, he hasn't played there for arsenal yet so why would he?

and do you really think bolton's captain (soon to be championship), a backup west ham midfielder and some slob ashton up front would have got us into the euros?! behave.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
and whoever has slated wheater in this thread clearly haven't seen him play this season, he has been very good.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Capello will play Beckham at some stage during the game against the frogs and then say you have your 100 caps, thank you very much we dont need you anymore.

Also giving Wheater a game gives him the chance to see if he can make the step up to international level ok.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
Give Beckham his 100th cap then feck him off,he not got another w/cup in him at his age.So lets all get this 1 over with and move on.
Glad we are looking at new players for the future,its about time the press didnt massacre the team on each game but look to the future and maybe winning something,instead of harking back to old players and performances they put in 5 yrs ago.

Regarding Walcott and England - there is a desire and trend to use the England Under-21 squad as a breeding ground for future England first-teamers. If Copello doesn't select anyone from the Under-21s it would be a bit of a disregard for that set-up, for Pearce completely, and for the young players who are deemed to be talented enough to wear the shirt.

Walcott is quick and he is creative, and we ought to hope that his too-early emergence from a couple of years ago doesn't result in total disappearance.

Before people get to reject and scorn Walcott for no sin committed other than accepting a premature call-up, they should simply hope that he DOES turn out to be an amazing player for England eventually.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Wheater deserves his chance. Has played well this season and weighed in with some important goals for Boro.

Not you typical premiership player though, the did a feature on him recently, his hobby is going to bingo halls for a few games with his girlfriend! :eek:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Nothing wrong with trying out new players in friendly matches.

I doubt he will START but having him in the squad will help his future transition in the same way Venables introduced Sol Campbel slowly to start with.

Far better than just throwing him in at the deep end in an important game.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Terry, Ferdinand, Woodgate, King, Lescott, Brown, Jagielka, Carragher, Upson, Davies.

Thats 10 centre backs of the top of my head that will always be better than Wheater, i could probably think of a few more.

Well, no-one has seen ore of him than the Middlesbrough management, and they decided to sell Woodgate, because of how pleased they were with how Wheater was developing. That spoke volumes about him for me, and I've watched out for him since that happened, and I've gotta say I think he looks a very good prospect.

Good selection Capello, we all seem to think the team needs a shake-up, even if it's to make the likes of Teryy and Rio a little less comfortable about their selection.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Great thread! Arrogance, ignorance and vehemence all over the place.

I've never seen Wheater play but as Gritt23 said one of the reasons Middlesborough agreed to sell Woodgate was how well they thought Wheater was playing and developing. That's a pretty good recomendation. Plus he's one of TEN defenders in the provisional squad. The likelihood of him getting a game is pretty small. There's absolutely nothing wrong with including him in the squad so he can get a feel for it and as a reward for his performances so far. It lets him and any other player not in one of the big teams that they are being watched and can break into the squad if they play well and consistently enough.

As for Walcott. He's how old? 18? 19? How can he be written off as a player at that age?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here