Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Weir turns down return to Everton

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I really dont loathe Rafa nor Liverpool , was just trying to put things in perspective ......

OK, fair enough. Apologies.

(there are plenty who do pile into the 'bin-dippers' at every opportunity, though)

:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Even more generous than that if you consider the £4m is mostly taxable whereas the £40k is tax free (apologies if this has already been factored in).

I hadn't factored that in, no :wink:.

You also remind me of a row I had with one of my brothers (the Corbynite) who thinks the more you earn the more you should pay in income tax in percentage terms. Thus, If I earn £10K I should pay 10% (£1K), whereas if I earn £100K I should pay 40% (£40K). As a flat rate tax fan, I find that a bit unfair on the high income earner. He was also comfortable with the Old Labour 90% marginal rate for those earning over (let's say) £500K. Call me a cold-hearted member of Kier Starmer's labour party, but that is ****ing stupid, surely?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I hadn't factored that in, no :wink:.

You also remind me of a row I had with one of my brothers (the Corbynite) who thinks the more you earn the more you should pay in income tax in percentage terms. Thus, If I earn £10K I should pay 10% (£1K), whereas if I earn £100K I should pay 40% (£40K). As a flat rate tax fan, I find that a bit unfair on the high income earner. He was also comfortable with the Old Labour 90% marginal rate for those earning over (let's say) £500K. Call me a cold-hearted member of Kier Starmer's labour party, but that is ****ing stupid, surely?
By and large that is how the proportional income tax system works, i.e higher earners paying a higher proportion of their income in income tax.
However, the problem is that over the past 40 years the overall tax burden through indirect taxes has shifted the balance from rich to poor.
A report a few years ago stated that the poorest 10% of households in the UK paid 42% of income in tax (income tax, nat insurance, VAT and council tax) compared to 34% for top 10% of households.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
By and large that is how the proportional income tax system works, i.e higher earners paying a higher proportion of their income in income tax.
However, the problem is that over the past 40 years the overall tax burden through indirect taxes has shifted the balance from rich to poor.
A report a few years ago stated that the poorest 10% of households in the UK paid 42% of income in tax (income tax, nat insurance, VAT and council tax) compared to 34% for top 10% of households.

Is it a fact that the richest 10% pay in region of 80% of total tax income

Interesting. Does anyone have any stats for this?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Interesting. Does anyone have any stats for this?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-council-tax-vat-equality-trust-a7704331.html

I think it is the top 1% pay 30% of all income tax, and top 10% pay around 70% of all income tax, but remember they earn so much more than the poorest 10% that it is not that disproportionate. Than add in the indirect taxes, and they relatively better off after tax, and of course absolutely better off! Effects_of_tax_and_benefits_on_household_income_in_the_UK_2011_-_2012.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The succession planning doesn't do itself, the acquiring of talented young players doesn't do itself and the sourcing of clubs to loan our younger players to doesn't do itself.

I think Ashworth is very good at his job and you only need to look at how West Brom imploded after he left them to see the impact he has on a football club. West Brom's recruitment strategy totally changed after he left, and they were promptly relegated having signed multiple expensive mercenaries on contracts which favoured the players and not the club.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Got the promotion he wanted by talking to Everton:

David Weir has been promoted to the role of assistant technical director, with immediate effect, working alongside the club's technical director Dan Ashworth.

The former Rangers, Everton and Scotland player steps up from his original role of pathway development manager, which saw him specifically overseeing the club’s players who are on loan at other clubs.

Technical director Dan Ashworth said, “We are delighted that David has accepted this new role and it expands on the already excellent work he has done as pathway development manager. The assistant technical director will be exactly that, supporting me on a day-to-day basis at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre.

"Since I came to the club the brief and workload for the technical director role has expanded to include the women’s and girls football operations and analysis across both the men's and women's set up. We have also expanded what we are doing in terms of player welfare and psychology during the past 18 months.

"We have also seen additional workload due to various external factors such as Brexit and the new Governing Body Endorsement procedure, and even the effect of the pandemic on the Premier League's evolving policies and procedures.

"David's football knowledge and experience is exceptional and to have his help, expertise and experience on a day-to-day basis will be a great benefit for the club."

----------------------------------
Interesting that Ashworth talking about supporting him on a day to day basis. Does that end the Newcastle speculation?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ashworth succession plan?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Possibly but maybe also allowing Ashworth to free up his time to further future projects.

I would say this signals clearly that Ashworth ISN'T leaving. They wouldn't do this now if they were expecting another change imminently. I agree this looks like a move to

1. Give Weir more responsibility
2. Support Ashworth to add more value.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Talk in Glasgow suggests that Rangers will soon be looking for a Director Of Football. Their number one target - David Weir.

He obviously has very strong links to that club, but he’d be foolish to move now wouldn’t he?

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Talk in Glasgow suggests that Rangers will soon be looking for a Director Of Football. Their number one target - David Weir.

He obviously has very strong links to that club, but he’d be foolish to move now wouldn’t he?
Can't imagine that Rangers could compete financially with a EPL club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This all stems from Charlie Nicholas suggesting Weir would be a standout candidate, nothing more as far as I can see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here