Deepest, darkest Sussex
But would Ryan have saved that?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
....and lost us the title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He, and we, were decidedly unlucky. The norwich game for example, where two goals bounced off the post and back in off him. To happen once was unfortunate, the second time, very unlikely and to repeat very unlucky. No goalie could have done anything better. We were poor against Bristol City and then still had further opportunities, that was not down to Stockdale.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Every defender knows you should aim a back pass wide of the goal but let’s all laugh at the keeper who got us promoted.

On top of that, the defender has absolutely launched that back pass. Utterly reckless.

I did this for my school team once, having been put in goal because my dad played in goal for a local team. I had collected the ball outside the area, and passed out to another defender. I then turned my back on the game and walked back toward the goal (still sulking they'd put my in). The backpass came back to me and as they shouted, I turned as the ball passed me on the opposite side. Comedic. I also fell over running back to get it in a panic. It just dribbled over the line.

Still the best keeper we had though. Which is a terrible indictment.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
....and lost us the title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prefer to remember things like the double penalty save re Massive personally and find it a bit sad that he's fallen so far. He didn't lose us the title any more than Baldock, Murray etc missing chances and the squad playing well below 100% because the job had been done (subconsciously at least).

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Every defender knows you should aim a back pass wide of the goal but let’s all laugh at the keeper who got us promoted.

Him being part of our promotion side isn't relevant here. He cocked up and any keeper...hell, any player should be able to trap a ball which isn't exactly lashing towards him.

Only because they were great for us at the time, doesn't mean they can't be criticized or commented on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Prefer to remember things like the double penalty save re Massive personally and find it a bit sad that he's fallen so far. He didn't lose us the title any more than Baldock, Murray etc missing chances and the squad playing well below 100% because the job had been done (subconsciously at least).

Exactly - Stockdale was a massive part of this club getting promoted to the Premier League and I'll always remember his time at the club with great fondness.

The team, collectively, threw away the title by taking their foot off the gas when promotion had been achieved. It's not an unusual thing to do though, see Liverpool this season for a more recent example.

Regardless, he's had an absolute shocker in that video, but all keepers have them, see David De Gea and Ederson for high-profile examples.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Even after his time here I'm still not sure on Stockdale. Nice bloke, no doubt but I think he's just a poor to average keeper who had a purple patch with us.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Me too. He gets the headlines because of the error at Villa but is the rest of the squad hadn't been p!ssed for the last few games it wouldn't have made a difference. I still think that, in amongst a truly excellent season, the squad let Hughton down in not sealing the title

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Him being part of our promotion side isn't relevant here. He cocked up and any keeper...hell, any player should be able to trap a ball which isn't exactly lashing towards him.

Only because they were great for us at the time, doesn't mean they can't be criticized or commented on.

Of course they can be commented on, but some comments are just spiteful.

As has been posted. he was good for us, especially that Wednesday game, and other penalties that he saved, ie MKDons. I also remember all the good work he did with Albion in the Community especially following the Shoreham disaster. Just my opinion.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Any conversation about Stockdale always degenerates into this!
No one player cost us the title, nor one mistake, only an imbecile would think so imo. Over the season as a whole Stockdale played a blinder, his best ever season it now seems. Personally, I will always think of him positively, also re the Shoreham air disaster.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I cannot stand the phrase "how the mighty have fallen" used in the same breath as David Stockdale it must be the 4th or 5th time it has been done. Absolute legend in my eyes, not least after Shoreham, and I can only wish the best for him and wish he had that little bit extra which could have made him our number 1 for many more years in the prem as he would have deserved it if not for just being a top bloke and role model of a person

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I cannot stand the phrase "how the mighty have fallen" used in the same breath as David Stockdale it must be the 4th or 5th time it has been done. Absolute legend in my eyes, not least after Shoreham, and I can only wish the best for him and wish he had that little bit extra which could have made him our number 1 for many more years in the prem as he would have deserved it if not for just being a top bloke and role model of a person

I only posted a clip that would have made any Own Goals and Gaffs compilation :shrug:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Exactly - Stockdale was a massive part of this club getting promoted to the Premier League and I'll always remember his time at the club with great fondness.

The team, collectively, threw away the title by taking their foot off the gas when promotion had been achieved. It's not an unusual thing to do though, see Liverpool this season for a more recent example.

Regardless, he's had an absolute shocker in that video, but all keepers have them, see David De Gea and Ederson for high-profile examples.
Indeed, and the role he played in many community activities, not least his involvement after the air disaster.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Stockdale was immense in our promotion season. He had a fantastic season. Against Newcastle at home I was directly behind the left hand post in the North stand and I can clearly still see a free kick from Shelvey horrifyingly sneak round the wall. I was so sure it was in, it was low and quick and it looked certain to go in. I have no idea how Stockdale saw that in time let alone react to it and tip round the post, it was an amazing save and one of many he made that season.
If it was the best season of his career, or if his form has fallen away since, so what? He put an absolute shift in for us that year and we should appreciate that. And that's not even mentioning what a fantastic ambassador and role model he was. I'm disappointed when I hear anti Stockdale sentiment, I'd like to think we're better than that.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He comes over very well in Neil Harman's new book about Wycombe, 'Close Quarters.' Comes in to challenge the first choice, takes the jersey, loses it again, but is completely supportive afterwards. Good for him. The double penalty save against Sheffield Wednesday was one of the highlights of the promotion season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Still mystified why Stockdale gets as much grief as he does on here.

Decent keeper, did a very good job for us, nice guy and was fantastic after Shoreham. Leave him alone.

Sheffield Wednesday penalty save game still one of my best nights watching the Albion in recent years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here