Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Stockdale

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think that's really harsh though. Did I say no deflected shot is saveable? What I said was he could do nothing about it and in this instance, the deflection meant he couldn't go for it. Are you saying that if he'd made a couple more saves during the game, letting the goal in wouldn't have been an issue? I don't really understand your point.

It feels a bit like you are damning him because he's not had much to do so far but if you say you're not, then fine. Personally, I hope he continues to have little to do as his defence is performing well and protecting him.

Hmmm. I take your point. I'm genuinely not intending to damn him, and it would of course be brilliant if we went the entire season with him never having to make a save, brilliant or otherwise, because our defence is so good. However, that's not going to happen. At some point, probably soon, he's going to be called upon to make a decent save (rather like Bogdan's tip onto the bar off CMS). All I'm saying is that, so far, I've not seen any evidence that he'll do so.

Harsh? Yes, possibly so. It might have been better to keep my powder dry until there's evidence either way. I posted because Icy Gull had made a point that I agreed with...

Time will tell. Anyway - very happy with the way we played and the result.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You could make a good case for saying Bogdan had no chance with that shot of CMS that he tipped on to the bar and over but he did and made a GREAT save. If that had gone in everyone would have said Bogdan had no chance with it. I am not damning Stockdale, I'm just saying he hasn't made a great save yet, it was an observation not a criticism.

I'm not having a go, just feels odd that the season's starting to look decent and someone has to be criticised. For what it's worth, I think it's easier to make a save like that from a shot outside the area, like from CMS, than it is from a deflected header from a corner. We'll see. I'm sure we all hope he turns out to be a brilliant signing. Fulham could certainly do with him at the moment!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hmmm. I take your point. I'm genuinely not intending to damn him, and it would of course be brilliant if we went the entire season with him never having to make a save, brilliant or otherwise, because our defence is so good. However, that's not going to happen. At some point, probably soon, he's going to be called upon to make a decent save (rather like Bogdan's tip onto the bar off CMS). All I'm saying is that, so far, I've not seen any evidence that he'll do so.

Harsh? Yes, possibly so. It might have been better to keep my powder dry until there's evidence either way. I posted because Icy Gull had made a point that I agreed with...

Time will tell. Anyway - very happy with the way we played and the result.

Fair enough. I don't think there's evidence either way as I don't think he could have saved any of the goals he's conceded (I realise you disagree about yesterday). Let's see what happens. I doubt he'd have got into the England squad if he couldn't make great saves when required.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Agree with posts that he has not a great deal to do so difficult to judge. Distribution is good, though one late clearance yesterday to CMS using a low kick pinged straight back at us, not good decision making based on balance of risk at 2-1 up.

Like the way he engages with team mates before matches, seems more of a team player than Koosh.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Look what has happened to Fulham since he left. Its not just about distribution ( pretty good imho ) and making saves ( has he had to yet? ), its about his authority and organisation of the back four and his influence and personality within the team/dressing room, which I dont think anyone can question both of those qualities.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Only on NSC would there be a bizzare thread like this. We've conceded 3 in 5 games, one a spectacular unstoppable shot, a free header right into the corner of the goal and the Birmingham goal I don't remember that well but he wasn't blamed for that either. Astonishing that people say he hasn't made any spectacular saves yet so they are 'unconvinced' I will just notify our defence to start letting teams have more shots at goal to give him the opportunity. Haven't seen Courtois make any spectacular saves for Chelsea yet either, I'm unconvinced.

He commands his box well and the OP is nonsense anyway, one kick he made yesterday went out for a throw but other than that I actually remarked what an outstanding distributor of the ball he is and given how we play now that could prove important. I only hope players don't read NSC.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I'm a big fan already. He hasn't had many saves to make in any of our games to be fair. But he exudes confidence, and that spreads to the defence (Greer is playing the best I've seen him in years, and Dunk also looks sharp, focused and ready to push on). The full backs are looking for quick ball from the back, rather than all that incessant fannying around which we had under Garcia (and to some extent Poyet). The second Stockdale gets the ball, he's looking for an outlet. Occasionally that will catch even our own players flat footed, but it'll create more in the long term than it gives away. He's largely quite accurate (Kuszcak's kicking last season was appalling), and is happy to play high up the pitch if needed, to sweep up behind the defence. He's claimed plenty of crosses, evidently likes to dominate his box (which defenders also love), and is quite manifestly the sort of keeper who talks to his back four constantly and keeps them focused.

I think the million quid spent on him will be easily up there with the best investments we make this season. Would Ankergren, nice guy though he is, have the same impact? Not a chance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I'm a big fan already. He hasn't had many saves to make in any of our games to be fair. But he exudes confidence, and that spreads to the defence (Greer is playing the best I've seen him in years, and Dunk also looks sharp, focused and ready to push on). The full backs are looking for quick ball from the back, rather than all that incessant fannying around which we had under Garcia (and to some extent Poyet). The second Stockdale gets the ball, he's looking for an outlet. Occasionally that will catch even our own players flat footed, but it'll create more in the long term than it gives away. He's largely quite accurate (Kuszcak's kicking last season was appalling), and is happy to play high up the pitch if needed, to sweep up behind the defence. He's claimed plenty of crosses, evidently likes to dominate his box (which defenders also love), and is quite manifestly the sort of keeper who talks to his back four constantly and keeps them focused.

I think the million quid spent on him will be easily up there with the best investments we make this season. Would Ankergren, nice guy though he is, have the same impact? Not a chance.

You make good points.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Nope. Disagree. His distribution is orders of magnitude better than Kuszczak and so many of our attacks yesterday were launched by his quick thinking.

On top of that, defensive confidence starts with the 'keeper and Stockdale exudes the confidence of a seasoned pro.

No he's not made a great save, but he's not had much opportunity to yet either.

True, if the stats are correct, they only had one shot yesterday

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Stockdale's going to attract the same sort of criticism that Ben Roberts used to i.e. unfair. Nips a lot of chances in the bud by being prepared to come a long way off his line. Once or twice he's going to get caught and the bedwetters will have a field day. Likewise, his distribution is superb compared to our previous keepers and will launch a lot of attacks.. but there'll be plenty who focus on the occasional quick kick that goes astray. Same old, same old.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Stockdale's going to attract the same sort of criticism that Ben Roberts used to i.e. unfair. Nips a lot of chances in the bud by being prepared to come a long way off his line. Once or twice he's going to get caught and the bedwetters will have a field day. Likewise, his distribution is superb compared to our previous keepers and will launch a lot of attacks.. but there'll be plenty who focus on the occasional quick kick that goes astray. Same old, same old.

Spot on

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As somebody who coaches goalkeeping to youngsters, the basics are simple, know where your goal is, know your angles, good handling, be strong, be quick thinking and quick footed. If you achieve a good level of all these you rarely have start flying all over the place to keep the ball out. Stockdale has proven this season already he has all these attributes in abundance. He'll do me just fine, money well spent.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
He is a very accomplished and gifted goalkeeper. I like his confidence and I like his self belief, and I also like that he rarely leaves himself exposed through poor positioning or not reading the game well. I have him down as being a step up from Kuszczak.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Yes indeed. In the second half yesterday, we had the Manuel Neuer of the Championship: Bolton had the Manuel from Fawlty Towers.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely anyone who catches crosses and gets the ball out quickly has to be an improvement on TK?

I never thought TK was particularly poor on crosses, and he's without a doubt one of the best keepers we've had in recent years. But his second season was nowhere near as good as his first, and his distribution just got worse and worse as time went on. Incredibly frustrating to watch him continually punt it out for a throw in.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Hush your mouth. I agree though. I've not seen him make a proper save of any description yet, let alone a great one. "Casual" is a good word. Twice yesterday shots went wide, but close enough for me to wonder why he didn't dive to cover them. He's either a much better judge of angle, power, swerve and where his posts are than PiG is, or he's a bit casual.

I do accept it could be me, since he comes with a decent reputation, but I'm also yet to be convinced...

I'm not sure that I accept that there was nothing he could do about yesterday's goal either, though it would have required something pretty spectacular to keep it out, I concede.

That is the biggest load of s..t I have read this weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here