Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David James: Terrace comments do affect players

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I have tried on a few occasions, but there is a part of me, unfortunately, that recognises that he has paid for his season ticket and is entitled to his (absolutely f***ing ridiculous) views. Was amusing yesterday when he was bang in the middle of one of his 'backwards' 'sideways' rants just as Calde fired in though .:D

What was his reaction to the ball nestling in the Brizzle net? I'd imagine he used Calde's missile as another opportunity to justify his "get it forward" -type-rantings. :rolleyes:

Maybe you would be kind enough to film this DIV in action & post it on here? Mind you, I just hope to God he ain't somebody I know...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I must admit to being a 'heartless fart'. I gave James a bit of stick yesterday in the North, as did just about everyone else. Nothing malicious, just trying to upset his concentration. I'm in the 'pay me £10000 a week and call me what you want' camp, people get more abuse on here than he got yesterday.
I think that's part of being a fan tbh. Our 'job' is to help our team, that means cheering them and trying to put the opposition players off their game. I'm more than happy to yell abuse at opposition players.

It does illustrate though that no true Brighton fan (or fan of any other team for that matter) will ever verbally slag off their own players during a game as it DOES have a negative effect. We all go "oh for f***'s sake" when a pass goes astray for example, and some boo at the end of a poor performance, but that isn't the same as dishing out personal abuse to our own players. And yes, I know there's a legitimate school of thought that says "I've paid my money I'm entitled to say what I think. And if I want to scream abuse at Harley for 90 minutes then I will do so, after all the lazy useless fucker earns more than I do". That's fair enough - but those people aren't 'fans' in the real sense of the word.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Personally I have no issue to giving the likes of Harding and Hammond some grief, if only because they lied through their teeth about their actions and aspirations. Being a total hypocrite I would of course have Hammond back here in the team/squad if the opportunity arose. Even so I think there is a dividing line between calling Harding a wanker and wishing AIDS on Dean Hammond, but I may be wrong.

I still can't fathom why some 'fans' give our own players so much grief during the match. If it can make 0.01% positive difference to get behind the team and players, then as an Albion fan I would always do it, the performance against Burnley is surely testament to that.

Having seen programs hosted by Michael Vaughan and Andrew Flintoff recently, and given the recent tragic death of Gary Speed (and for older fans our own Justin Fashanu) it is clear that mental health is a problem that many people, especially men, struggle to deal with. The 'you can call me whatever you want' mentality of some does come at a price.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Personally I have no issue to giving the likes of Harding and Hammond some grief, if only because they lied through their teeth about their actions and aspirations. Being a total hypocrite I would of course have Hammond back here in the team/squad if the opportunity arose. Even so I think there is a dividing line between calling Harding a wanker and wishing AIDS on Dean Hammond, but I may be wrong.

I still can't fathom why some 'fans' give our own players so much grief during the match. If it can make 0.01% positive difference to get behind the team and players, then as an Albion fan I would always do it, the performance against Burnley is surely testament to that.

Having seen programs hosted by Michael Vaughan and Andrew Flintoff recently, and given the recent tragic death of Gary Speed (and for older fans our own Justin Fashanu) it is clear that mental health is a problem that many people, especially men, struggle to deal with. The 'you can call me whatever you want' mentality of some does come at a price.
abso fuckin lutely, this :albion2:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In the light of the recent Suarez incident and his 8 game ban, there was an interview with John Barnes who says he had to play listening to extreme racist abuse for almost his entire career and he suggested that things are better ( but not perfect ) now. He did go on to say that he hoped there would be an acceptance that ALL kinds of abuse from the terraces towards players would be banned/stopped and that it is absurd that people like Arsene Wenger have to cope with foul and ignorant abuse for doing their jobs.

It is a strange irony that having paid £25 admission people feel it acceptable to holler foul abuse at whoever they want to in a football ground while they wouldn't dream of going to see a film and stand up in the middle and shout loudly that the director is a paedo/**** or that an actor was shite.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think it also depends on the player. Some players, on receiving stick from the crowd, will be motivated by it, and go on to play brilliantly.

Others- Dan Harding springs to mind- let it get to them and end up embarrassing themselves and thus copping even more abuse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here