Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Davies - a lone Albion hero at the inept FA

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think that tells us more about Kelly than it does about Davies. To me it shows that Davies was refreshingly competent whereas Kelly was a f***ing gutless wanker. :tosser: :tosser: :tosser:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I can see it now, Graham Kelly's new autobiography

"Graham Kelly - The Gutless Wanker" available from all good bookstores

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I can see it now, Graham Kelly's new autobiography

"Graham Kelly - The Gutless Wanker" available from all good bookstores

If there's one thing Graham Kelly wasn't short of, it was guts..... but I take your point!

Fair play to DD too - would have been all too easy for someone with much bigger fish to fry to forget about the "little troubles" on the South Coast.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
On a slightly different note, when I was working at the Royal Albion Hotel, he was a guest at the hotel. He saw me check the Brighton score on teletext in the bar, when we were playing a midweek away game.

He then asked me which team I was looking out for, I said Brighton, and he then asked me about the stadium etc. I was in the middle of telling him about our season, and it was nice to be back in Brighton, when his phone rung.

He then said to me, do you want to speak to the England manager. He then passed the phone over to me, and on the other end of the phone was Kevin Keegan. I spoke to Keegan for a couple of minutes, and then continued my conversation with Mr Davies :)

phil1977

"And now on Whistle Test"
Nov 19, 2004
Bristol
My main memories of Kelly was his poker face and squeeky voice and also picking out the balls with Millichip in Lancaster Gate during the FA Cup draw, before it was turned into a Lottery-esque showbiz event.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
On a slightly different note, when I was working at the Royal Albion Hotel, he was a guest at the hotel. He saw me check the Brighton score on teletext in the bar, when we were playing a midweek away game.

He then asked me which team I was looking out for, I said Brighton, and he then asked me about the stadium etc. I was in the middle of telling him about our season, and it was nice to be back in Brighton, when his phone rung.

He then said to me, do you want to speak to the England manager. He then passed the phone over to me, and on the other end of the phone was Kevin Keegan. I spoke to Keegan for a couple of minutes, and then continued my conversation with Mr Davies :)

Your WHORING knows no bounds mate...

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
During those dark days, I actually spoke to Graham Kelly. It was during my lunch break and I was so incensed by what what was happening that I just picked up the phone and dialled the FA, asking for Graham Kelly. I was gobsmacked when I was transferred to him via his secretary.

Now this is the gods honest truth. I asked him nervously like, what he and the FA could do with Brightons situation. His reply was that why should the FA do anything and that many clubs like Brighton will go bust. They are a business and businesses go bust all the time, why should football clubs be any different. I tried to convince him otherwise.

Not verbatim, but that was the jist of it.

So Graham Kelly, you are a c*nt

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
My main memories of Kelly was his poker face and squeeky voice and also picking out the balls with Millichip in Lancaster Gate during the FA Cup draw, before it was turned into a Lottery-esque showbiz event.

And, judging by the above, that is precisely all he did. I don't actually ascribe to the oft-heard rather dull point of view that everyone who works in football administration at any level is automatically a crook or inept or both. But in this case I'll happily make an exception.

And fair play to David Davies for wanting to set the record straight, as well as implying that maybe there was something more sinister than just plain incompetence to blame for the FA's remarkable and shameful inaction back in the dark days.

During those dark days, I actually spoke to Graham Kelly. It was during my lunch break and I was so incensed by what what was happening that I just picked up the phone and dialled the FA, asking for Graham Kelly. I was gobsmacked when I was transferred to him via his secretary.

Now this is the gods honest truth. I asked him nervously like, what he and the FA could do with Brightons situation. His reply was that why should the FA do anything and that many clubs like Brighton will go bust. They are a business and businesses go bust all the time, why should football clubs be any different. I tried to convince him otherwise.

Not verbatim, but that was the jist of it.

So Graham Kelly, you are a c*nt

except that he was right.

If we hadn't got off our arses and done something about it then nothing would have happened

don't think he ever did it with Millichip in the boardroom at Lancaster Gate.

Kelly was secretary of the Football League during the time Millichip was at the FA. You're thinking of the urbane, smooth talker that was Ted croker......

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sweet revelations............. this is how I tend to remember DD.

Martin Samuels of the Times by the way.

Before the publication of the autobiography of David Davies, the former FA executive, rumours circulated of revelations, resignations and stories that would rock football. Instead, so tame was his coverage that many of those who were said to have most to fear from Davies’s pen were amiable guests at his launch party.

Most typical of his recollections was the account of the controversy around Rio Ferdinand’s missed drugs test and the proposed players’ strike that overshadowed England’s crucial European Championship qualifying match in Turkey in 2003. A meeting took place at Davies’s house between Ferdinand, Maurice Watkins, the Manchester United lawyer, David Gill, the United chief executive, and Nic Coward, the legal representative of the FA. Davies told how his wife, Susan, went shopping for the group but could find only a Battenberg cake at the village shop. As the executives got down to business, Ferdinand sat in the kitchen with Susan and the Battenberg.

With this bombshell, Davies has at last solved the great unanswered question from one of the most controversial chapters in the history of English football. Who called the strike? We do not know for sure. How many players supported it? We cannot say for certain. Why did it fail? We are yet to discover. But was there cake? Yes, and it was a Battenberg.

Next week: Davies reveals all about the light refreshments on that infamous Cathay Pacific flight home from Hong Kong in 1996: “I particularly enjoyed the salted cashews.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here