Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Davies - a lone Albion hero at the inept FA

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
In the dark days, the FA's David Davies was a real unsung Albion hero - this is taken from his recently published autobiography "FA Confidential" : Chapter 4 Pages 64-66.

On behalf of all Albion fans, Thank you David.

-------------------------------------------------

Of all the fires I had to fight during that period, the most complicated was the long running saga of Brighton & Hove Albion. The intentions of businessman Bill Archer towards the club were unclear. Archer was in dispute with Dick Knight, someone who became a great mate of mine. Brighton’s plight filled me with despair. They moved out of the Goldstone Ground, and their very existence seemed threatened under Archer.

‘We have to get involved’, I told Nic Coward and Graham Kelly repeatedly. ‘For us to intervene would set a precedent’, replied Nic, ever the lawyer.

‘But we cannot afford not to move on this,’ I argued. We reached a compromise that the FA would not become involved directly but would encourage mediation and pay for it. On contacting the CBI, I talked to Bill Marsh, who operated their short-sharp shock mediation service. “Bill, we have this complicated situation at Brighton with Archer and Knight,’ I said. ‘I need you to broker a deal so Archer can leave and Knight can run the club.’ Marsh tried his best. The mediation became not so short, and not so sharp.

Dick invited me to one of the many public meetings in Brighton. ‘It’ll be quite rough, you know,’ Dick said on collecting me from Brighton Station. ‘The FA are not popular down here.’ When I entered the night-club, the setting for the meeting, I was welcomed by 1,000 Brighton fans chanting ‘The FA have done f*** all’. After waiting for the boos to die down, I took the microphone. I knew what I was about to say might antagonise Kelly and Coward, but I had to get involved.

‘I will fight for Brighton,’ I promised. ‘The FA move in mysterious ways, but I can assure you that I will move heaven and earth to make sure Brighton survive. To allow a club of Brighton’s stature to die would be a disgrace. I will fight for you all the way. One of my friends at school was a passionate Brighton fan. He lived and breathed the club. So I understand what Brighton means to you. I promise you this: you do have a friend at the FA.’

Silence ensued, ended by a standing ovation. Brighton fans knew that at least someone at Lancaster Gate was emotionally involved in their predicament. When I returned to HQ, word had got around about my speech. A certain frostiness was in the air. But sod it.

‘What is the FA for?’ I asked Kelly. ‘We should be involved in situations like this. We are the guardians of the game. The Goldstone Ground is history but the club needs support to survive. I know the FA are not a police force, and we can’t just go into a club simply because we don’t like the look of someone. But Brighton are a challenge we need to meet. I don’t know whether Bill Archer is good, bad or indifferent. I do know that Dick Knight has some finance, and could take over the club. Dick is a real supporters’ person, just the person you want running your club. I’m going to stick in there.’ I left Graham’s office, feeling very much on my own over Brighton. To this day, I’ve never understood why Graham, who cared about grass-roots football so much, always seemed loath to get involved in saving Brighton.

Of course, the FA couldn’t just rustle up a few tanks, roll down the A23, along the promenade and rebuild the Goldstone Ground. So it was left to me to coax and cajole all parties. Eventually we got a new Board together with independent directors, including Sir John Smith and Lord Richard Faulkner. I gave evidence for Brighton at the public inquiry for a new stadium at Falmer. I passionately believed in Brighton’s cause. In truth, I wish I’d found the time to champion more clubs whose futures were being threatened. But so much of my time was taken up with England.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

QUOTE]

I'll 2nd that, dark days indeed and who's to say that he didn't make the difference in us having a club or disappearing as I am sure that is what Archer would have preferred

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I remember that meeting, David Davies bashed his briefcase into my left knee as he walked into the Concorde(?). What he says just supports how totally gutless the FA were and have been ever since. Shameful.

Come to think of it some twelve years later I have disclocated my left knee, I wonder if it was that blow that weakened it?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I remember that meeting, David Davies bashed his briefcase into my left knee as he walked into the Concorde(?). What he says just supports how totally gutless the FA were and have been ever since. Shameful.

Come to think of it some twelve years later I have disclocated my left knee, I wonder if it was that blow that weakened it?

sue 'em

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was there too. It just underlines what a gutless waste of space kelly was. he just wanted to be mixing with the publicity of England.The FA did FA for us.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why does running a National Team provide such a huge workload? He might have been on our side, but the FA as a whole are a pathetic bunch of wasters, lunching on money that could be much better spent.

In truth, I wish I’d found the time to champion more clubs whose futures were being threatened. But so much of my time was taken up with England.

That sums up what the FA stands for. The National Team would not have disappeared with some careful delegation...

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I'm pretty sure that a journo friend of mine met DD at the time of the arbitration, when he indicated that he had a Plan B up his sleeve in the event that the arbitration failed.

I wonder what that was?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
David Davies - legend.
When he resigned i was fortunate enough to have a communication with him, and he spoke of his extremely high regard for Brighton fans

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Was Graham Kelly a "northener"...?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
In the dark days, the FA's David Davies was a real unsung Albion hero - this is taken from his recently published autobiography "FA Confidential" : Chapter 4 Pages 64-66.

-------------------------------------------------

When I returned to HQ, word had got around about my speech. A certain frostiness was in the air. But sod it.

‘What is the FA for?’ I asked Kelly. ‘We should be involved in situations like this. We are the guardians of the game. The Goldstone Ground is history but the club needs support to survive. I know the FA are not a police force, and we can’t just go into a club simply because we don’t like the look of someone. But Brighton are a challenge we need to meet. I don’t know whether Bill Archer is good, bad or indifferent. I do know that Dick Knight has some finance, and could take over the club. Dick is a real supporters’ person, just the person you want running your club. I’m going to stick in there.’ I left Graham’s office, feeling very much on my own over Brighton. TO THIS DAY, I,VE NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY GRAHAM KELLY, WHO CARED SO MUCH ABOUT GRASS ROOTS FOOTBALL, ALWAYS SEEMED LOATH TO GET INVOLVED IN SAVING BRIGHTON.

Often think authors of books are trying to tell us something, without leaving themselves open to be sued.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Often think authors of books are trying to tell us something, without leaving themselves open to be sued.

Are you suggesting he was on a bung? I thought he was just an incompetent gutless fool!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Are you suggesting he was on a bung? I thought he was just an incompetent gutless fool!

Would never enter my head that someone from Blackpool involved in football, might possibly have ever met a business man from nearby Crewe,who wanted to make a fortune from a struggling "southern" club.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Graham Kelly was also a non-executive director of Luton Town, another struggling club who are no stranger to bungs.

Also, if you rearrange his name, it spells Gay Lark Helm, clearly meaning that he was in CAHOOTS with someone at the TOP of a football club in a City with a large gay population, and thought it a LARK to destroy the club.

Burn him now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here