Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] David Attenborough- A life on our planet

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
that would mean if we ended farming of animals, we'd remove 94% of animals from the world???
I know you're not being entirely serious here, but those farm animals have just replaced all the animals we killed off to make the space - with significantly less biodiversity. Of we removed the farm animals, we could replant forests and rainforests and they'd be teeming with life again soon after.

I also watched his "Extinction: The Facts" documentary the other day, where it's quoted that of the 8 million or so species of animal that exist, 1 million of them are at risk of extinction. Almost all because of us. Madness.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
“All our environmental problems become easier to solve with fewer people, and harder — and ultimately impossible — to solve with ever more people.”
– Sir David Attenborough, Population Matters patron

https://populationmatters.org/the-i...lPRw7gsPDrz75fW-xylTUMLcm979MoukaAi-iEALw_wcB

What do you think should be done to reduce human population that is not already being done? There is very little, apart from killing people, that's going to make any real difference. Education, healthcare, female empowerment etc will all help shift patterns a bit, and should be done anyway of course, but we are largely locked in to a pattern of population (not endless growth, but a peak and decline) and need to work out how we are going to manage that. Which means dealing with consumption. 'Population' is a red herring and used as an excuse (often, but not always, by the poltical right) to avoid discussion of the actions that we can, and should be taking.

We do not all need to become vegans. Or vegetarians. Again, that idea is just a way of avoiding action (eg if everyone isnt going to be vegan, we shouldn't bother doing anything). We just need to eat fewer meat and animal products.

As someone has said, David Attenborough does address the issue of population in his documentary. I beleive his views have actually changed somewhat on that subject.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
whilst not being a vegetarian or vegan we decided to eat less red meat , it does mean our chicken consumption has gone up a bit so slightly less impact on the world and to on a purely selfish level more healthy for us. Also try to have non meat/fish meal once a week which is usually a vegetable curry. None of this has made a difference to our eating experience but does reduce impact. Yes only a insignificant part but if everyone in uk did this then impact would be very significant.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
whilst not being a vegetarian or vegan we decided to eat less red meat , it does mean our chicken consumption has gone up a bit so slightly less impact on the world and to on a purely selfish level more healthy for us. Also try to have non meat/fish meal once a week which is usually a vegetable curry. None of this has made a difference to our eating experience but does reduce impact. Yes only a insignificant part but if everyone in uk did this then impact would be very significant.
I think Sir David said something like 75% of all birds on earth are chickens

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yep 50% of fertile land on earth is used for our consumption, only 35% of wilderness left.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think Sir David said something like 75% of all birds on earth are chickens

that does not surprise me ... certainly not implying chicken consumption has no impact but i think it is less than other forms of meat. i might be wrong...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Off track a bit. There was a repeat of a programme about the Andes on Saturday on Yesterday. There is a tropical cloud rainforest at the northern end in Ecuador. It holds one sixth of the world's types of plants . It also has a frog which not only changes colour but also changes shape to match its mossy environment. it has only been discovered in last 10 years....

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Off track a bit. There was a repeat of a programme about the Andes on Saturday on Yesterday. There is a tropical cloud rainforest at the northern end in Ecuador. It holds one sixth of the world's types of plants . It also has a frog which not only changes colour but also changes shape to match its mossy environment. it has only been discovered in last 10 years....

Are they tasty frogs? Asking for a friends cat.

We don't eat much red meat . . .a good Cote de bouef or fillet steak once a month, sausages and bacon are a weak spot, fish probably twice a week and chicken regularly. I don't persoanlly buy the must be veggie bit, but clearly the mass marketed meat/poultry industry has no leg to stand on when it comes to sustainability and/or environmental issues.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It’s one of the UNs five sustainability goals! You can’t argue with that. As for the 100 companies to blame, you mean the ones we all buy products from, work for, our pensions are invested in...those ones? We’re all responsible. Which is why We’re all going to hell in a handcart.

I’m not arguing that it isn’t an issue. I do disagree however that nothing can be done until it is dealt with.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

An economist study suggested that going plant based for two thirds of meals could cut food related carbon emissions by 60%, going fully plant based could cut those emissions by 85%. Every little helps and all that :thumbsup:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
An economist study suggested that going plant based for two thirds of meals could cut food related carbon emissions by 60%, going fully plant based could cut those emissions by 85%. Every little helps and all that :thumbsup:

Exactly.

We don't need to be 100% veggie. Just eat less meat and more veg. It's good for you, good for the environment, good for animal welfare.
Do it bit by bit and it's suprising how quickly you stop missing meat with every meal.

The purist and evangelical veggie's (you are not doing any good unless you are doing everything good) annoy me as much as the pathetic middle age men (Piers Morgan, I am trying not to look at you) who get offended by a Greggs veggie sausage roll and think they have won the argument with the entire environmental movement by pointing at a leather belt and screaming 'hypocrite'.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Surely, asides farming, transportation must be a massive contributor ?

I did the shopping yesterday and spercifically bought UK produced fruit & veg . . . . flying beans from Kenya and Apples from New Zeland is just crazy.

I resisted using the word nuts there, I know what you're all like!

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I thought it was a very good programme. David Attenborough was excellent and left me feeling hopeful and wanting to play my part, even if it was to just start having some main meals without meat. I think his approach is probably far more likely to have the desired effect than a young activist screaming doom and gloom. He did paint a pretty glooming picture of the future during the programme but it was balanced and he ended on a hopeful note. Well done Sir!

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
We must do something - Greta reckons forest the area of Australia is cut down every fortnight.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I’m not arguing that it isn’t an issue. I do disagree however that nothing can be done until it is dealt with.

Sure there’s several others, probably stemming population growth more than any others will have the most impact. Unfortunately the most difficult to achieve Id say. Now, about reducing air travel, how’s that airport expansion coming along...:lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sure there’s several others, probably stemming population growth more than any others will have the most impact. Unfortunately the most difficult to achieve Id say. Now, about reducing air travel, how’s that airport expansion coming along...:lolol:

Education, poverty inextricably linked to population growth. If we can educate and end poverty, then we will stem population growth. Most developed countries have a negative birthrate. Politically it probably is the most difficult to achieve, even though it is probably the simplest in terms of wealth distribution.

Although cutting your meat intake down per week is pretty easy, and saves a bob or two. I've developed quite a love of sweet potatoes and halloumi. I always imagine Eddie Murphy from Trading Places "halloumi sir?" "You ain't hallouming nobody"...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We must do something - Greta reckons forest the area of Australia is cut down every fortnight.

reckon Greta missed geography and maths lessons. all forest would be gone in about 3 months if that were true.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
reckon Greta missed geography and maths lessons. all forest would be gone in about 3 months if that were true.

Really?!!
giphy (1).gif

Who would have thunk it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here