Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David "1 shot 1 cross Man of the match" Beckham

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Having been at the game its hard to see who else deserved it. Crouch may have scored two but was generally crap for the rest of the game. Glen Johnson was his usual mix of class and utter crap at the same time. Barry wasn't great. JT and Fat Frank both played well, but...when Beckham came on he did improve England considerably. His range of passing is immense, he sees things that no-one else seems to and still puts in a great work rate and lifts the crowd. For me he has to be on the plane to SA. Not a starter for sure but for the last 20 mins if need be.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Am I the only person who thought Belarus looked a half decent side? They kept the ball really well, better than England, and if they had a decent striker and Hleb playing they'd look alright.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Am I the only person who thought Belarus looked a half decent side? They kept the ball really well, better than England, and if they had a decent striker and Hleb playing they'd look alright.

I thought the same, however i think we allowed them the space and time to make them look better than they were, as we had nothing to prove or play for.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I thought the same, however i think we allowed them the space and time to make them look better than they were, as we had nothing to prove or play for.

Probably true. Thought they looked a much better side than Croatia though.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Beckham will be on the plane. Capello and he knows that he will only be a 25 minute supersub but what a supersub to have in your pocket if you need to change a game. I heard Alan Green on 5live say last night that it wasn't a good sign that Beckham is going with the implication that we should be taking younger players. Bollocks to that. I want the best squad of players going. I wouldn't mind if we took 20 34 year olds if it won us the World Cup.

I was disappointed by Barry. Too many mistakes for my liking in what will be a hugely important position if we play Johnson and Cole. I hope Hargreaves can get fit and into some form to at least put some pressure on Barry.

ITV were doing the usual Crouch is scoring loads, Heskey is a load of crap routine. More bollocks. Heskey and Rooney up front, no question.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He was nippy that Belarussian. Like Shitov a shovel.

Collymore is a knob, and has hated Beckham for ages. It's become a very boring hobby horse. Unfortunately he will never realise that the reason why a lot of fans cut Beckham a lot of slack is that for years it was a one-man team, and a poor side in which he shone. When you've paid a lot of money to go to Wembley or all over the world, you don't forget that.

And never let a good rant get in the way of the facts. Which are that last night, as in so many countless times before, Beckham changed the game, a game that had gone totally dead. In the last World Cup, we were not very good, but Beckham created/scored goals.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having been at the game its hard to see who else deserved it. Crouch may have scored two but was generally crap for the rest of the game. Glen Johnson was his usual mix of class and utter crap at the same time. Barry wasn't great. JT and Fat Frank both played well, but...when Beckham came on he did improve England considerably. His range of passing is immense, he sees things that no-one else seems to and still puts in a great work rate and lifts the crowd. For me he has to be on the plane to SA. Not a starter for sure but for the last 20 mins if need be.

That's probably the best post on here. There were some average performances and despite the early goal we let Belarus back into it and they bossed the game for a large period up to half time. They kept the ball well, played it out of defence rather than hoof it and when we did get the ball we gave it back to them virtually straight away. Beckham's influence changed that.

No you are not.

Beckham will be on the plane. Capello and he knows that he will only be a 25 minute supersub but what a supersub to have in your pocket if you need to change a game. I heard Alan Green on 5live say last night that it wasn't a good sign that Beckham is going with the implication that we should be taking younger players. Bollocks to that. I want the best squad of players going. I wouldn't mind if we took 20 34 year olds if it won us the World Cup.

I was disappointed by Barry. Too many mistakes for my liking in what will be a hugely important position if we play Johnson and Cole. I hope Hargreaves can get fit and into some form to at least put some pressure on Barry.

ITV were doing the usual Crouch is scoring loads, Heskey is a load of crap routine. More bollocks. Heskey and Rooney up front, no question.

As far as Alan Green is concerned, I wouldn't shed a tear if he choked on his own microphone. He has been critical of Beckham since 2006. Was one of those advocating dumping Beckham for the young upstarts completely ignoring the fact that none of them could deliver the ball properly. McLaren dumped him for the start of the Euro campaign and we only got ourselves back into the qualifying competition when he brought him back, only for McLaren to screw it up on the last game. Had McLaren not done the 'new broom' routine, I doubt if Beckham would have gone to the States when he did.

As far as Beckham is concerned I believe he deserves his place in the squad and on the bench. I have forgiven him for 1998, eventually, and, like Rooney, I can forgive him for playing for Manure.

As for Crouch poached a couple of goals and did nothing else. he is a long way behind Rooney, Heskey, Defoe and I would even put Walcott in there as well as a fit Owen.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
its funny, because the VT bit after the game to demonstrate his "range of passing" was a pass that went to empty space and resulted in loss of possesion to their full back. during the game Twnsend was felating him saying how "you know exactly where he will pass it"... yeah, and so do the opposition.

theres no doubt he is quality and his presence did change things, but it couldnt have stayed the same as he's a totally different player to Lennon. but he is so damn easy to defend against with those long diagonal balls. against top teams i'd rather see Lennon/SWP/Walcott terrorising the fullback.

That is absolutely spot on.

Those long range Hollywood balls that look so great, hardly ever pick the player out (but what they do is land near the area of the intended recipient) I struggle to think of one goal England have ever scored from one of these passes.

The opposition would much prefer passes such as this which work 1 in 10 (if that) times than a winger racing past them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
but...when Beckham came on he did improve England considerably. His range of passing is immense, he sees things that no-one else seems to and still puts in a great work rate and lifts the crowd.

sorry, his range of passing is not immense, unless you mean range as in length. he only sees things other dont because he's looking for the long range pass while others aren't. its fair he does give a lift, though he seriously needs to work on fitness if he's to maintain that workrate for more than 15min.

That is absolutely spot on.

Those long range Hollywood balls that look so great, hardly ever pick the player out (but what they do is land near the area of the intended recipient) I struggle to think of one goal England have ever scored from one of these passes.

The opposition would much prefer passes such as this which work 1 in 10 (if that) times than a winger racing past them.

The problem is last night that the wingers weren't racing past them. Lennon was anonomous and kept running sideways, while SWP wasn't much better. Beckham had a good influence on the game. As much as anything else, he lifts the crowd, which in turn lifts the players.

As soon as he came on last night he was probably the best player on the pitch. Without Gerrard and Rooney there is no-one with decent vision; apart from the Barry ball to Agbonlahor for the goal, I can't think of one decent creative pass. As soon as Beckham came on his vision meant he was seeing passes that no-one else was, and most of the time (but definitely not all) they were coming off.

I was at the game, and while we were mystified by the decision to give him the award, we were struggling to work out who it should have gone to. We decided Crouch for his two goals, but besides those (both tap ins) he was completely anonymous (sp.).

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I thought Terrry had a solid enough game to take Man of the Match.

Isn't everyone getting a bit too worked up about this seeing as Steve Bruce made the call?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I want Beckham on the plane for any number of reasons.

Not only does he still retain the ability to change the game, or score a goal out of nowhere, but his ethic epitomises what it should mean to pull on the England shirt. He's done all he can to get involved. Commuting thousands of miles, moving to Milan when required (meaning no real recovery between seasons because MLS runs through the summer), and Capello loves that because clearly it rubs off on other players - let's not forget how Beckham knuckled down to prove Capello wrong in the right manner, whilst at Real Madrid. It makes the manager's job a lot easier when his senior players (Heskey too) are behaving this way.

Man of the match last night? I was only half watching really, but he certainly changed the game, which is all that was asked of him. Probably not MOM, not that it matters.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
The problem is last night that the wingers weren't racing past them. Lennon was anonomous and kept running sideways, while SWP wasn't much better. Beckham had a good influence on the game. As much as anything else, he lifts the crowd, which in turn lifts the players.

As soon as he came on last night he was probably the best player on the pitch. Without Gerrard and Rooney there is no-one with decent vision; apart from the Barry ball to Agbonlahor for the goal, I can't think of one decent creative pass. As soon as Beckham came on his vision meant he was seeing passes that no-one else was, and most of the time (but definitely not all) they were coming off.

I was at the game, and while we were mystified by the decision to give him the award, we were struggling to work out who it should have gone to. We decided Crouch for his two goals, but besides those (both tap ins) he was completely anonymous (sp.).

I actually thought SWP played ok, beat his men quite a few times but just couldn't seem to get the final ball right. I would have given it to Crouch mind, 2 goals and thought he held the ball up ok, not fantastic but no-one was.

Those long balls that look so great, what vision etc.etc.etc Andy Townsend blah blah. but they get to their intended target 1 in 10 times and even if they do, they go to a winger who still inevitably by the time he brings the ball under control has to beat his man, this time to beat his full back then allows his central defenders time to get back and re-group.

The key reason why England are a much better side now is speed. We have incredibly fast players all over the pitch, SWP, Lennon, Walcott. it is the speed of these players getting past their full backs that allow us to score so many goals. We are the top scorers (in all groups) because the speed of our (nearly all) players allows us to beat their man to create so many chances. Beckham does not fit this criteria at all.

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
Becks is a national treasure and his contribution to the England team is always impressive. He WILL be on the plane next year but ...............

last nights man of the match should have been Peter "if I wasnt a pro footballer i'd probably be a virgin" Crouch!

Those long balls that look so great, what vision etc.etc.etc Andy Townsend blah blah. but they get to their intended target 1 in 10 times and even if they do, they go to a winger who still inevitably by the time he brings the ball under control has to beat his man, this time to beat his full back then allows his central defenders time to get back and re-group.

The key reason why England are a much better side now is speed. We have incredibly fast players all over the pitch, SWP, Lennon, Walcott. it is the speed of these players getting past their full backs that allow us to score so many goals. We are the top scorers (in all groups) because the speed of our (nearly all) players allows us to beat their man to create so many chances. Beckham does not fit this criteria at all.

With the greatest of respect, I've no idea what Andy Townsend said because I was actually at the game last night. Were you?

The long passes created problems for the Belarus defence because they stretched them out. England certainly took more of a hold on the game, and looked more creative, once he was on the pitch. I'm not saying that he maybe doesn't overuse them, or that they are all perfect, but they certainly ARE useful. And quite frankly to suggest that 1 in 10 reach their target is complete bollocks.

I wouldn't disagree that England are a better side now; however it's a bit simplistic to put it down to speed. We had speed under Schteve McClaren but were still shit. It's about using it, and I agree that some of that is having wingers running directly at fullbacks. Beckham obviously doesn't have that, but he offers an option of something different. And quite frankly, last night plan A of the wingers running at the full backs wasn't really working; Lennon had a pretty shit game. So bringing on Beckham he didn't really have anything to lose.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Whilst it adds mothing to the discussion, can I just add that I find Lennons' close ball control a joy to watch. Ok, there is often nothing at the end of it, but at times it looks like the ball is glued to his boot. That is all.

Oh I say - it's Boy's Own stuff! It just begs the question: is Lennon the new Charles Charlie Charles: or is Charles Charlie Charles the old Aaron Lennon??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here