Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave Cameron

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Can someone enlighten me on the reasons behind David Cameron's departure (I'm naturally slow to catch onto these things)

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
That is undoubtedly true, but did he not also cause dischord in the dressing room with boasts around his salary? Seem to recall tales of a training ground punch up?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'll never forget when that woeful tosser somehow scored against us for Lincoln, and proceeded to run the entire length of the field in celebration. The crowning turd in the U-bend on a thoroughly piss-poor afternoon.

...taken of after 15 minutes againgst xxxxxx to his fury and our bemusement!:)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
London Calling said:
...taken of after 15 minutes againgst xxxxxx to his fury and our bemusement!:)

MA left the team to Alan "I think I'm 'Ard" Cork for the afternoon while he was off doing some scouting. Corky took Cameron off after 15-20 mins, and when asked about it afterwards said he did it "because he was crap."

Monday at training was tasty, with Cork and Cameron going for each other at regular intervals, until finally in the changing rooms after the session Corky invited the big ex-Army man out into the car park.

Dave was back getting changed a few minutes later and Cork vanished for a week. Before Corks bruising had gone down enough for him to show his face again at the club, MA had packed Cameron off to Worthing.

You'd have thought Cork would have learned his lesson about winding up ex-Army blokes after his run-in with Kuipers, but maybe some people just never learn.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
He was still crap tho. Regardless of who was the hardest. He could have gone on to bigger and better things if he was good.

I remember the Albion fans booing (yes booing) Micky Adams after the Cameron saga.

What I wonder would have happened had Micky decided to walk after our first season at Withdean. We may not have won the league the year after.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Gritt23 said:
MA left the team to Alan "I think I'm 'Ard" Cork for the afternoon while he was off doing some scouting. Corky took Cameron off after 15-20 mins, and when asked about it afterwards said he did it "because he was crap."

Monday at training was tasty, with Cork and Cameron going for each other at regular intervals, until finally in the changing rooms after the session Corky invited the big ex-Army man out into the car park.

Dave was back getting changed a few minutes later and Cork vanished for a week. Before Corks bruising had gone down enough for him to show his face again at the club, MA had packed Cameron off to Worthing.

You'd have thought Cork would have learned his lesson about winding up ex-Army blokes after his run-in with Kuipers, but maybe some people just never learn.

what happened with FDM

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
ditchy said:
what happened with FDM

"Michelle? Stupid girls name .... blah blah blah. I'm gonna call you Trevor."

It last a couple of weeks before FDM snapped and had Corky pinned up against the dressing room wall.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Gritt23 said:

It last a couple of weeks before FDM snapped and had Corky pinned up against the dressing room wall.

At half time against Southend, hence the mysterious (at the time at least) appearence of Mark Cartwright at half time.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Gritt23 said:

thx g23
dont think i would go there !

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
e77 said:
At half time against Southend, hence the mysterious (at the time at least) appearence of Mark Cartwright at half time.

Exactly.

;)

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Gritt23 said:

Yep , that's the version I heard. Cork basically screwed up and left MA in a bad situation. At one point Cameron was going to go public but DK persuaded him otherwise. Cork was goading Cameron and suffered the consequences of a very pi$$ed off ex-pongo Jock, not very clever. Apparently Charlie Oatway described Cameron as a f£$king nutter ... praise indeed.

Cameron wasn't very good (actually he was crap) but he didn't deserve the crap he got from Cork.

As has already been said, Cork started his unique style of management on Kuipers and got pinned against the wall by kuipers.

Cork .... a prize dickhead ...

Tooting Gull said:
I'll never forget when that woeful tosser somehow scored against us for Lincoln, and proceeded to run the entire length of the field in celebration. The crowning turd in the U-bend on a thoroughly piss-poor afternoon.

Albion V Lincoln City (0-2)
Cameron had to score
by Andy Naylor

August 26, 2000
Bust-up: Tempers flare as Albion try to get back into the game at Lincoln on Saturday

It had to happen. David Cameron, dubbed "useless" last season by Alan Cork and banished to the reserves by Micky Adams as a "disruptive influence" in the dressing room, duly came back to haunt Albion.

He added the closing chapter to a pre-destined script by saving up his first goal in English football for the Seagulls.

Cameron's sweet revenge came in the 38th minute. Paul Miller"s slide-rule pass put the big Scot clear of a defence looking in vain for an offside flag and he calmly slotted past Mark Cartwright.

Cameron milked the moment, wheeling away in delight towards the Lincoln fans before gazing over to the Albion dugout from the far side of the pitch as he continued his celebrations.

He hurried away after the match without comment, but his boss Phil Stant said: "I am delighted for him and he is delighted as well against his old club. I joked with him beforehand about what the odds would be on him scoring.

"He works hard and he is one of those unsung heroes."

The 738 Albion fans who watched Cameron find the net in front of them must have wondered why he never managed to do so in an Albion shirt.

They left rain-soaked Sincil Bank even more bemused by the team's failure to take something from a match they totally dominated from start to finish in all areas apart from the most important one.

Albion had an unlucky 13 shots on target, Lincoln scored with two of their three. Albion forced 14 corners compared to Lincoln's six. I could go on, but you get the general picture.

Opener: The ball loops into the net and Steve Holmes has opened the scoring for Lincoln City
What annoyed Adams much more than Cameron scoring, and even more than the failure to capitalise on a catalogue of chances, was the way his team defended.

Steve Holmes' 34th-minute opener for Lincoln was particularly hurtful, not just because it arrived completely against the run of play but also because of the manner in which it was conceded.

Paul Mayo's corner was headed back into the six-yard box by Richard Logan at the far post. Holmes, having pinched Lincoln's only previous point with a late equaliser at Halifax a week earlier, helped them to their first win of the season by scrambling the ball in.

Match Facts

Scorers: Lincoln: Holmes (34), Cameron (38).
Bookings: Albion: None. Lincoln: Smith (74) foul.
Shots on target: Albion 13, Lincoln 3.
Off target: Albion 2, Lincoln 2.
Corners: Albion 14, Lincoln 6.
Offside: Albion 1, Lincoln 2.
Free kicks: Albion 13, Lincoln 25.
Referee: Mr.S. Baines (Chesterfield).
Venue: Sincil Bank.
Attendance: 3,021.
Pitch Conditions: Uneven, then greasey.
Weather: Raining.
Next match: Albion v Kidderminster, Nationwide League Division Three.

Adams selected teenage striker Scott Ramsay in preference to double hernia victim Darren Freeman and Nathan Jones, with Gary Hart cast in an unfamiliar role wide on the right, for defensive reasons as well as attacking ones.

"It worked for the first half hour didn't it?" Adams remarked ruefully. "I wanted us to attack. Darren is obviously struggling and I was worried about the set pieces.

"I thought if I played Nathan Jones and left Harty down the middle that would leave us without another big boy to defend set pieces and that's part of the game you have got to think about.

"We talked about people standing up and being counted in defensive situations. I have got some pretty footballers, but maybe I have sacrificed a bit of steel. I have got to think seriously about that.

"Look at their defending. Phil Stant told me he was going to buy a lottery ticket. That's how lucky he felt. He had honest pros putting themselves on the line for the team.

"My question to my lads is how many of them are prepared to do that for the cause?"

All of which suggests Adams may at least contemplate a return to the three centre halves he favours, although Andy Crosby's forthcoming ban pending an appeal would probably scupper that.

Not much has gone right for Crosby so far this season. He was one of Albion's biggest attacking threats.

Midway through the first half his firm header at the far post from a Paul Watson corner was forced behind by a combination of Lincoln's exceptional goalkeeper Alan Marriott and the post.

Four minutes later, Crosby peeled away to meet Watson's free-kick with a goalbound looping header which Marriott clawed to safety.

Crosby's misfortune is such at the moment that an intercepted pass meant for Kerry Mayo could have cost Albion another goal just before the break but for Gavin Gordon's meek finish.

Proving a point: David Cameron celebrates

Lincoln's net led a charmed life in the opening 45 minutes. There were numerous other narrow escapes and Bobby Zamora wastefully miskicked eight yards out from Hart"s pull-back before drilling the follow-up at Marriott.

The pattern continued in the second half. Paul Brooker had an effort headed off the line by Grant Brown, Crosby fired over and Jones forced Marriott into a spectacular stop with a cracking right-foot shot from 20 yards after replacing Ramsay.

Adams acknowledged Albion, to a certain extent, had only themselves to blame. "We can't keep giving teams starts and you have got to score your goals when you create chances like that," he said.

It could have been worse. Cameron's downward header from Justin Walker's free-kick went the wrong side of the post, or the right side from the Seagulls' perspective, with ten minutes left.

A minute from time the former solider found the net again, converting the rebound when Mark Cartwright parried Walker's fierce shot. It was rubbed out for offside, but Cameron had already had the last laugh.

Fan's View
Matthew James (Hassocks)

In 21 years following the Albion, I don't think I've seen us dominate an away game like that without scoring. The scoreline was completely ridiculous, caused by a mixture of inspired goalkeeping, poor finishing, dodgy defending, bad luck and questionable refereeing.

Lincoln seemed surprised by our change in formation and couldn't get near us for half an hour. We should have been at least three up before they got into our penalty area.

Keep the faith. If we keep creating chances like that, we'll soon give someone a real hiding.

Back to Archive

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here