Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave Brooks supports Fox Hunting!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Aren't farmers allowed to shoot foxes if they're on their land? What's the difference?

What are the other options that the club could have done?
Left some poison around and let it die a slow painful death, or ask it to f*** off one or the other! Oh breaking news leave a cage trap and when detained relocate the fucker to country where he will die anyway.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
You do wonder at some people. I wonder how Ms Paynter would feel if she had seen what was left of a hen house after a fox has paid a visit ? It's kills all of them even though it only wants one. They also attack cats and sometimes kill them. They are vermin when all is said and done.

Sorry but that isn’t the case. A fox will kill all of the chickens and if un disturbed will come back over the course of a day or a couple of days for his quary. The fox will then hide it’s dead prey around its territory.

The idea a fox will kill for fun or without intention of eating its prey simply isn’t true.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sorry but that isn’t the case. A fox will kill all of the chickens and if un disturbed will come back over the course of a day or a couple of days for his quary. The fox will then hide it’s dead prey around its territory.

The idea a fox will kill for fun or without intention of eating its prey simply isn’t true.

Didn't say it did it for fun did I ? Granted it's following it's instincts it's just that some people see foxes as cute little innocents, they're not. We get quite a few round where I live. One of my dogs loves chasing them. It's scares the crap out of them (she's a lot bigger than a fox) but all she wants to do is play with them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this isnt hunting, this is culling a nuisance. it seems they have a problem with a particular animal, so rather than trying some soppy approach they've gone for the simpliest and most efficient solution. typical reaction from the Hove townie, all that crying that it might be a "breadwinner", firstly they arent people and dont require a pair to raise cubs and secondly they probably wouldnt have been allowed to shot the fox they thought this an issue.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Oh, ok then. But the chickens are still dead, right? They won't be laying eggs any time soon. What about their inalienable right to life? Do you think you may have missed the point on this one?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Didn't say it did it for fun did I ? Granted it's following it's instincts it's just that some people see foxes as cute little innocents, they're not. We get quite a few round where I live. One of my dogs loves chasing them. It's scares the crap out of them (she's a lot bigger than a fox) but all she wants to do is play with them.

Sorry, I know you didn’t suggest they did it for fun I was just pointing out a common misconception.

You are right about them not simply being ‘cute little innocents’ but it’s not their fault our cities and towns offer An abundance of food for them. If we weren’t so wasteful and dirty our towns wouldn’t be so attractive to them.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Oh, ok then. But the chickens are still dead, right? They won't be laying eggs any time soon. What about their inalienable right to life? Do you think you may have missed the point on this one?

I guess you’re right but the fox is just doing what comes natural to him.

Saying that I probably have missed the point as is frequently the case, I was just given my 10 pence worth which is probably worth more like a penny.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
You do wonder at some people. I wonder how Ms Paynter would feel if she had seen what was left of a hen house after a fox has paid a visit ? It's kills all of them even though it only wants one. .

I think this just goes to show the ignorance of people. In the wild a fox will kill when it can and if it kills more than it can eat hide/bury food for later. So when it gets into a chicken house it follows it's instincts. The fox will kill every bird and then start to carry the dead off to it's "larder". Of course what happens is that it is disturbed by human activity so cannot carry off all it's kills.
The problem is a natural byproduct of domesticating poultry. Humans have bred animals to be docile and then keep them caged in large numbers. Of course our habit of anthromorphologising leads people to label the perpetrators with motives that are beyind the capacity of a wild animal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Good on him, the foxhunting ban IMHO was one of the most ill thought out pieces of government legislation of its kind.

No-one really consulted the people living out in the country who suffered most at the hands of the foxes, and over a decade on our towns and cities are awash with the 'delightful creatures' causing all kinds of mayhem.

What a load of rubbish. The ban is about abolishing the killing of foxes for fun. You have the pro hunt lobby claiming that foxes get into chicken runs and kill for fun and then that is exactly what they then want to do to foxes. Fox hunting has never been about performing a social service for farmers. I know plenty of people in rural areas that are completely against fox hunting.

Are you seriously suggesting that those in rural areas should be the only ones that decide laws that apply to them? If so, perhaps those in urban areas should be able to vote on preventing subsidies to rural areas. Maybe they should have to pay their own way.

As for culling of foxes that are causing a problem, I have no problem with that nor with what what Sussex CC. It would have been preferable for the fox to have been trapped and relocated but maybe that would have just put it an environment where it would die because it would have gone from scavenging in an urban area to actually having to hunt.

Banning fox hunting has had no discernable impact on fox numbers.

I would seriously question that, since Tony Blair and co did the 'decent thing' Worthing seems to be awash with the 'lovable' little creatures.

Exactly how many foxes did the Worthing Urban Hunt actually kill then prior to the ban?

this isnt hunting, this is culling a nuisance. it seems they have a problem with a particular animal, so rather than trying some soppy approach they've gone for the simpliest and most efficient solution. typical reaction from the Hove townie, all that crying that it might be a "breadwinner", firstly they arent people and dont require a pair to raise cubs and secondly they probably wouldnt have been allowed to shot the fox they thought this an issue.

Agree completely.

Perhaps Mrs Paynter would like to help me with the vet bill I had a couple of years ago when some fox took the top of my cat's ear off in a fight, we had to rename her 'Holyfield'.

So you had a vets bill. Don't let your cat out at night then. Out of interest, does your cat ever stalk wild birds, voles etc. Does it ever kill them then leave the carcass for you whilst it wanders over to its bowl of kitekat?

I not trying to defend Mrs Paynter as she sounds detached from the real world but there is a considerable difference between culling and the sport of fox hunting.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sorry, I know you didn’t suggest they did it for fun I was just pointing out a common misconception.

You are right about them not simply being ‘cute little innocents’ but it’s not their fault our cities and towns offer An abundance of food for them. If we weren’t so wasteful and dirty our towns wouldn’t be so attractive to them.

Agree with that but at the same time they are vermin, the same as rats and mice. The fox population is not decreasing because an urban environment but probably increasing thanks to the availabilty of alternative food.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think this just goes to show the ignorance of people. In the wild a fox will kill when it can and if it kills more than it can eat hide/bury food for later. So when it gets into a chicken house it follows it's instincts. The fox will kill every bird and then start to carry the dead off to it's "larder". Of course what happens is that it is disturbed by human activity so cannot carry off all it's kills.
The problem is a natural byproduct of domesticating poultry. Humans have bred animals to be docile and then keep them caged in large numbers. Of course our habit of anthromorphologising leads people to label the perpetrators with motives that are beyind the capacity of a wild animal.

Actually you've missed my point completely, the hens are just as dead full stop. Has it occured to you that a fox killing farm birds costs the owner ? Why does a fox have more rights than a hen ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
How many foxes do you think the hunts killed?

Not many at all in truth. Many peoples' issue with Fox Hunting was more of a rather outdated class issue. Believe me plenty of people who rode to hounds did not go to public school. Granted there's no denying the a fox caught by the pack met a pretty babaric end but there again, it's no laughing matter for a fozes prey either.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Actually you've missed my point completely, the hens are just as dead full stop. Has it occured to you that a fox killing farm birds costs the owner ? Why does a fox have more rights than a hen ?

And there you go making my point for me. It's not about rights, it's about the way the natural world works and what happens when we try to impose control on it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Rumours of Leicestershire CCC shooting a martlet in a revenge attack have so far proved unfounded.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
And there you go making my point for me. It's not about rights, it's about the way the natural world works and what happens when we try to impose control on it.

Well by that way of thinking it's perfectly natural to shoot vermin then.

Tosh. You watch a fox in a hen house :eek:and tell me that's not killing for fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here