Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
How do you think the squad is weaker? We've only sold one player that made regular first team appearances last year but brought in two whom you'd expect to be in every matchday squad.

Plus....
all of the regulars have another 20-40 premier league games experience under their belts
and another season of finessing their Potter skills/tactics/positioning
and getting to know each others strengths and weaknesses.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
How do you think the squad is weaker? We've only sold one player that made regular first team appearances last year but brought in two whom you'd expect to be in every matchday squad.

We have lost White. Our best player last season. We have lost every back up forward we had and are now likely pinning our hopes on Danny Welbeck remaining fit. As much as I admire the man, Shane Duffy will be found out at this level this season. Cucurella is a good signing but the position he plays is the same position that March has excelled at. So more depth there maybe but unlikely to be an improvement. There is no way that the squad can be seen as stronger than last year. If so, how? Where have we strengthened?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Plus....
all of the regulars have another 20-40 premier league games experience under their belts
and another season of finessing their Potter skills/tactics/positioning
and getting to know each others strengths and weaknesses.

Yeh, I think we might be better this season for the reason you outline. Our young side should improve year on year.

But it's totally legitimate to point out that in attack we don't have the depth or quality of similarly ranked clubs

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
Signed 2 strikers apparently, both to go on loan, 1 to Belgium and 1 to Stoke, I get we have to look to the future but will there be a future if we rely on what we have left? bit risky.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We have lost White. Our best player last season. We have lost every back up forward we had and are now likely pinning our hopes on Danny Welbeck remaining fit. As much as I admire the man, Shane Duffy will be found out at this level this season. Cucurella is a good signing but the position he plays is the same position that March has excelled at. So more depth there maybe but unlikely to be an improvement. There is no way that the squad can be seen as stronger than last year. If so, how? Where have we strengthened?

You've given yourself away here. No need to debate any further.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

White wasn’t even our second best defender

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think our last hope is that we sign a striker, loan them to USG and take Dante Vanzeir off their hands - could be kept completely quiet for obvious reasons, but somehow doubt Bloom would do this.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yeh, I think we might be better this season for the reason you outline. Our young side should improve year on year.

But it's totally legitimate to point out that in attack we don't have the depth or quality of similarly ranked clubs

Fair point that Zeqiri going reduces our depth up front, but serious question: how many minutes did he actually play last year as a striker? He's not going to be hugely missed and the fact that we've brought in a young Spanish international left back means that that particular string to his bow won't be missed either.

Overall, given our strength in the centre-back department and weakness with regard to pacy wide players, I think that the purchase of Cucurella more than offsets the departure of White. Mwepu looks like an interesting buy and you can arguably add Caicedo and Richards as additions to this year's squad as well.

edchan102

Aug 21, 2020
White wasn’t even our second best defender

Perhaps White wasn't our best defender on defend, he was still our best defender on long ball, ball control which helped the team a lot while attack. If the team cash out him and didn't invest in a striker with the money received, then this surely is a downgrade.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Fair point that Zeqiri going reduces our depth up front, but serious question: how many minutes did he actually play last year as a striker? He's not going to be hugely missed and the fact that we've brought in a young Spanish international left back means that that particular string to his bow won't be missed either.

Overall, given our strength in the centre-back department and weakness with regard to pacy wide players, I think that the purchase of Cucurella more than offsets the departure of White. Mwepu looks like an interesting buy and you can arguably add Caicedo and Richards as additions to this year's squad as well.

It will be interesting to see if any of them can shoot and hit a target.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Perhaps White wasn't our best defender on defend, he was still our best defender on long ball, ball control which helped the team a lot while attack. If the team cash out him and didn't invest in a striker with the money received, then this surely is a downgrade.

Which is a biggie for me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone reckon we might go for a left field loanee, a bit like when Welbeck was announced?

Older player who is happy to play odd parts of games. Experience for the youngsters, etc etc.

Could Daniel Sturridge fit the bill? Currently without a club, 31 years old.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Anyone reckon we might go for a left field loanee, a bit like when Welbeck was announced?

Older player who is happy to play odd parts of games. Experience for the youngsters, etc etc.

Could Daniel Sturridge fit the bill? Currently without a club, 31 years old.

Not played a game for nearly 1,5 years so would indeed be a bit left field.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Incorrect - he wasn't even our best CB

I'm still not quite sure what Leeds fans were trying to achieve by hijacking the POTS poll, other than ensuring that White was going to be sold for way more than they could afford to spend on a single player!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here