Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darren Sheldrake.. Remember him?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
So, if it HAD restarted, the goal MUST still stand, and the game finished 1-1, which suits us much better. Come on Colchester, don't take this lying down.

Was watching it unfold via Sky Sports, and I don't think they mentioned it being restarted, just took a long time to initially discuss with the lino, then get called back to talk to the 4th official.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes we've been f***ed over but how many times in the past have we got the plus side of a poor decision? Its just the way the game goes. If we get a winner on Saturday because of a Ref mistake will we start e-mailing the Football League saying it ruined the enjoyment of the game?
I don't buy this - or the 'things will iron themselves out over the course of a season' rubbish. Honestly, when was the last time we were awarded a penalty, which very clearly - on three separate counts - wasn't a penalty, in the very last minute of a game - the scoring of which directly affected the result and the number of points won? Has this ever happened to us? Certainly not this season - or I'd suggest for a very long time.

It bugs me now, as we should have an extra three points on Bournemouth than we currently have. It could still cost us the Championship or even promotion.

Sheldrake was at fault, for not sending off Symes either, but also over the penalty for a) not spotting Fletcher's foul on Elphick, b) not spotting the handball was actually by the Bournemouth player and c), and most importantly, allowing himself to be over-ruled by a linesman who was standing 40 yards away at an angle, when he was just a few feet from the incident.

The real blame has to go to Farries, however, who should never be allowed to officiate at another professional game. The way he raised his flag only after being spoken to by the Bournemouth player, and then over-ruled Sheldrake's original decision when he could not possibly have seen with any accuracy where the incident had occurred, was absolutely scandalous.

Last edited:

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
But its only the officials governing body investigating. At best it will mean some kind of sanction against Sheldrake or one of the other officials, but I very much doubt it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There does seem to be a whistle before the ball goes in. Around about when the ball bounces inside the six yard box. I can only assume the ref instinctively blew for offside, then after the goal checked if it was offside. The linesman said no, so he awarded the goal, and then the fourth official highlighted the fact that since the whistle had gone play had stopped before the ball went in the goal, so the ref couldn't give it.

I can understand the reasoning behind the law about play stopping when the whistle has gone, as opponents who may have stopped a shot may have stopped trying on hearing the whistle, but in this instance the keeper was already making a moved for the ball and no one else had a chance of getting to it, so it's not like the whistle distracted any players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here