Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darren Sheldrake.. Remember him?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
A few weeks ago I was so livid after the Bournemouth match (a crime against professional sport in my opinion, so bad was the officiating) I actually e-mailed a contact of mine at the Football League. Incredibly today I received a response. Absolutely shocked.

The first paragraph is the expected response. The second paragraph is where things get interesting..

Chris,

Many thanks for your email. We often receive numerous queries and complaints regarding individual referee's decisions and their overall performances. Although we are usually unable to respond on each individual incident, we can advise that the performances of all officials are constantly monitored by way of club and assessor reports, the match video or DVD and, at some grounds, the Prozone statistics. The match is also analysed by the Referees' Manager, a referees’ coach and the referee and, despite the perception of some, match officials are most accountable for their performance.

Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) has reviewed several key incidents in the match you refer to and these will have been analysed thoroughly by the referee, the assistant referee and their respective coaches. The referee in this instance was very disappointed by his performance, and withdrew himself for availability for the subsequent fixtures at his own request. Referees will make errors of judgement in a match in the same way that players do. They make their decision based on years of training and experience and what they see at that moment in time, from a position different from anyone else in the ground - he can only act on what he sees, assisted by the other match officials and not everyone will agree with the decisions he takes. However, in this instance appropriate action has been taken.

Contrary to expectations, the Referees' Manager will not attempt to support a referee out of sheer loyalty. It is his responsibility through Professional Game Match Officials to identify training needs of not only individual referees but also of all National Group officials. The Manager also works with his group in a bid to constantly improve standards in a game which has become faster and more frenetic over recent years. Every match is recorded and referees are under closer scrutiny than ever before.

We have noted your comments and have forwarded them to the referees department for their attention. We trust that some of this reply at least highlights to you the procedures in place designed to improve performances and we thank you for contacting us with your comments.

Regards,

XXX

Senior Response Supervisor

The Football League Limited
Email - enquiries@football-league.co.uk

The Football League - LATEST NEWS, FIXTURES, RESULTS AND TABLES | OFFICIAL SITE

It feels somehow like part auto-response and part honesty. It probably helped I had someone to e-mail it to rather than just the generic form on the website.

And yes, I know it's gone and in the past etc but I will always remember that match. My Father, a retired referee, described it as the 'most hopeless performance I've seen in 40 years' - says it all really.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Very interesting and goes much further than I thought they would. Usually you get the line trotted out that its the refs opinion against yours, etc, etc. In this case it does look like he admits he made a cock up of monumentous proportions and has even dropped himself from refing at the moment. Mind you I think that 75% of the problem was the cock of a Linesman and theres no mention about him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was it appropriate for him to sign it off with a " XXX " ?

A bit familiar.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
After bland FL responses to similar letters I sent over Prosser a few years ago... think your reply is quite stunning ... a recognition by the ref himself and the FL that he got it wrong!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesn't get us our 2 points back though does it :tantrum::angry:

No. Quite.

It would be nice if the referee actually came out and ACKNOWLEDGED his complete and utter balls-up to the club and the fans and offered an apology, instead of keeping it all under wraps and behind-the-scenes.

The damage has been done of course, and can never be corrected, but a simple apology wouldn't kill him, would it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I am seriously impressed with that response but I am still of the view that just as managers (with the exception of Fergie for whom special rules seem to apply) have to face the press after a game, the referee should do too. Most do okay most of the time but everyone makes mistakes and a bit of openness and honesty on the subject could change peoples' views of match officials overnight

No. Quite.

It would be nice if the referee actually came out and ACKNOWLEDGED his complete and utter balls-up to the club and the fans and offered an apology, instead of keeping it all under wraps and behind-the-scenes.

The damage has been done of course, and can never be corrected, but a simple apology wouldn't kill him, would it.

Why.

the referee's decision is FINAL. and most ref's know when they've had a poor game! (just like most players!)

Doesn't matter that the foul was OUTSIDE the area

Doesn't matter that Lampard's shot went OVER the line.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Poor refereeing is part of the game, the same as Rob Green letting in the USA goal and Murray missing 5 1on1's in a game.

Yes we've been f***ed over but how many times in the past have we got the plus side of a poor decision?

Its just the way the game goes. If we get a winner on Saturday because of a Ref mistake will we start e-mailing the Football League saying it ruined the enjoyment of the game?

Didnt think so!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why.

the referee's decision is FINAL. and most ref's know when they've had a poor game! (just like most players!)

Doesn't matter that the foul was OUTSIDE the area

Doesn't matter that Lampard's shot went OVER the line.

It doesn't change anything in terms of the result obviously.
But it would at least alter peoples perceptions of many refs being arrogant, aloof and not giving a toss about their cock-ups f***ing up thousands of peoples Saturday afternoons.

If I lost control of a strimmer and accidentally lopped off one of your ears and several parts of your face, I would at least apologise to you. It wouldn't change anything, but I'd make sure you knew I deeply regretted the incident.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
At least it looks like he's realised the mistake and is trying to learn from it. Can't ask anyone to do much more really. Reffing professional football must inevitably require experience that can only be gained from actually doing it. In my humble opinion the fre is a brave man to take on a job where every decision is replayed and criticised endlessly on video.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I think someone else got a reply as well and has posted it on here. From what I remember of it the 1st, 3rd and 4th paragraphs were pretty much identical to the earlier reply, but the 2nd is good to see.

I'm still ruddy LIVID though!

CatkinCUFC

Dec 2, 2008
Found this thread googling "Darren Sheldrake" online for reasons that will become clear below......

Some of you may have noticed today that Sky Sports had us (Colchester United) leading 1-0 for at least 10 minutes against Charlton, before the score became 1-0 to Charlton. Well.......

Our striker was put through and stroked the ball past the keeper to score. Ref (Darren Sheldrake) goes to consult with the linesman who hadnt flagged or indicated our striker was offside in any way and after much debate the goal is given.

The game then restarts, as the goal was given, but a few seconds later the game stops and the fourth official calls the ref over. The goal is then unallowed by Sheldrake, seemingly on the advice of the fourth official.

It transpires that the ref had blown his whistle (alledgedly, it seems this is what the fourth official told the ref!?) before the ball hit the back of the net and therefore Sheldrake saw fit to un-give the goal.

To top it off, the game didnt restart with a free kick to Charlton but instead a drop ball! Incensed with this decision, Sheldrake should be struck off!

Does anyone have any views on whether he should even have been allowed to un-allow the goal!?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Was he the ref in our BMuff game or the lino?

Sorry to see this Col U - we'd have rather u got a point there too mate!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here