Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darlo in Administration

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/darlington/3345801.stm

Now I know I'm not the most attentive of people but I don't recall any mention of this subject over Xmas.

They went into Admin just before xmas and only found out when chatting to a Carlisle supporter today.

It seems the Inland rev has not been paid and the administrators may insist on a move back to Feethams if it is deemed more financially sensible.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think the 10 points deduction comes into effect at the end of the season, but I'm not 100% sure on this.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
From the bbc website

Third Division Darlington have been placed in administration.
They are in the Division Three relegation zone despite moving into a new 27,000 capacity stadium.

And chairman George Reynolds blamed the Quakers' cash problems on difficulties putting the new stadium to non-football uses.

Reynolds claimed he took the action in a bid to prevent the club being wound up by the Inland Revenue.

He said: "It's very sad news. We've tried very hard, built the stadium and worked untold hours.

"If you look at other stadiums, they are allowed to do car boot sales, markets, and computer and antique fairs - but we're not. We're not allowed to make any money.

"I warned Darlington Borough Council four months ago - they've not been bad. I'm not going to criticise them because they've got a job to do - but it's a long process. It's taken a long time."

However, Reynolds believes the club can survive, with the co-operation of everyone in the town.

He continued: "We're sitting ducks but the club will turn around if everyone gets behind it. We can survive.

I will provide every assistance to ensure the future well-being of the club

Darlington chairman George Reynolds
"My message to the fans is this. If the fans and the business people in the town get behind us we will dance through this.

"I paid off a £5.2m debt when I came in in seven days - I've put my heart and soul into this club. But I've never had a year like this in my life - it's been an awful year for me."

Reynolds added: "I have invited the appointment of joint administrators to protect the club from being wound up by the Inland Revenue who have issued a winding-up petition.

"You should be aware Feethams was condemned and it was essential to relocate the club.

"The new stadium is almost complete and negotiations are on-going with the council and it will be for the administrators to resolve this as a matter of urgency.

"I will provide every assistance to ensure the future well-being of the club.

"Whilst the administrators resolve the footballing issues I will endeavour to develop other commercial interests for the benefit of the club."

Despite the club's financial problems, Reynolds says he does not regret getting involved with the Quakers.

He added: "I didn't support Darlington but I couldn't bear the thought of 120-odd years of history going out the window - that's why I became involved."

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
another rich man getting bored of his toy football club,did'nt the same happen to oldham.
so much for the five year plan he had to get into the premiership:nono:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Reynolds biggest mistake was building a stadium of that size in the first place. To imagine that Darlo would ever compete with the likes of Sunderland, Newcastle and Middlesbough (not to mention Hartlepool) was pure folly.

Damn it, even we, who are far bigger than Darlo, only plan a 22000 seat stadium.

Face it, George Reynolds was just on a huge ego trip.

SeagullSimon

Jul 5, 2003
Kent Uni; Bexhill
Quakers set for ground switch!

Darlington could move back to their old Feethams ground to help them survive.
The Quakers moved into their new £20m Reynolds Arena in August but poor crowds and form saw them go into administration last week.

The side are second from bottom of Division Three and Feethams would need to be upgraded if they did move back.

Peter Ashmore of the Darlington supporters trust said: "We are totally behind the club, and its survival is our main aim."

He added: "We are not saying we want to move back to Feethams, we just want the club to survive.

"It is up to whoever is in control of the club to decide where it should be."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Quakers set for ground switch!

SeagullSimon said:

The Quakers moved into their new £20m Reynolds Arena in August but poor crowds and form saw them go into administration last week.

If that's not a wake-up call to the Albion to invest a bit of dosh in the playing side between now and Falmer, don't know what is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here