Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darlington's new ground!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Whilst I agree with the poster that said we need to raise the season-ticket-holders to help fill our new stadium (oooh, feels good saying that), I believe that to maximise potential capacity, the club must facilitate "on-the-spur" fans with a simple pay on the gate option - there must be thousands of fans who, for what ever reason, either can't or don't want to be sth's - we have to facilitate easy access for this segment of our fanbase. They will bring mates who perhaps have never been before and if the entertainment is right, they will come back for more.

Also, how about a section with no seats (ie terracing), is this an option?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I can't remember (but 'm sure others will!) what Falmer was costed on as an average gate, but we need to look at what we NEED to sell, ticket-wise. Will we break even on 10,000 average over 5 years?

I reckon 22,000 is about right for us. Some games will sell out (first few, depending on opposition and results, and big cup games), but most won't. This isn't a problem though, yet.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Its the customer base that is the thing with BHA. Btn has a population of 250,000 - the size of leicester approximately. The Albion also have Shoreham / Southwick / Portslade and Worthing in the same connerbation, which together adds the size of the city by another 130/150K. The outer lying areas such as mid sussex (Bhill, HHeath, east Grinstead plus country is about 150K) and coastal areas from Newhaven, Peacehaven to Seaford (about another 70K) and then the towns of Eastbourne (90/100K) and Hastings (not sure but its igger than Crawley / Worthing so in excess of 100K and I heard its the same size of Wigan.) North Sussex towns like Horsham and Crawley have always had a fair few Albion. Plus the country areas like Arundel in the West and Hailsham in the east.

If someone gets the club right (as did Mike Bamber in the 1970s), then they will have little goldmine.The question, will the club get it right and sell the club to the County. With Falmer, i think they might. The last 15 even 20 years have been bad times for the club with Gillingham, Withdean and even the last 10 years at the goldstone the ground / team was run down.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Strike, you are overlooking a very crucial point, Reading are in the Premiership and playing well,whereas we are only hanging on in Div1.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I agree with Croydon Seagull that naturally attendances will increasefor a while,but not for long.There will be even less cash available for signings due to the cost of paying back the considerable loans so that the level of success/entertainment can hardly be expected to increase, gates would then fall,particularly as there is no need to to purchase a season ticket as there will be ample seats available on the day.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Brighton and Hove = 250k+ popn as mentioned above, our overall catchment area (i.e. Sussex) is 1.5 million and while only a small percentage will be Albion, Falmer will be looking woefully inadequate if we ever get to the Premiership.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Bit of a correction on the figures about Leicester. I lived there for 7 years and thought the 250,000 figures bandied about were way too low, so had a look in Wikipedia.

Population of Greater Leicester area including the suburbs was 441,213 at the time of the 2001 census. While I was there I never felt that footie was that important to them with gate of 15-20,000 at Filbert St. Made the increase in gates at the new stadium quite impressive.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
I think we will fill 3 quarters of Falmer,the reason withdean is empty is people have experienced the place,no roofs, freezing cold,winds that rip through the place and have decided not to bother anymore. Falmer will be very well protected and therefore the crowds will happily turn up in all weathers dependant on the team picked and how well in in the league we are doing whatever league we're in,Albion fans are faithful as long as the premises are right.

Oct 25, 2003
most people in darlington support one of the 'big 3', plus it's a much smaller town than brighton, without any form of real catchment area

bit unfair to compare us and them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here