Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darlington

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
it's amazing how quickly things change in football

last time i saw darlington they beat us 4-0 at gillingham around 1999?

hopefully things will change for them as quickly as they have for us

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Feethams was a lovely little ground - walk to it though the cricket field. Terribly quaint and atmospheric like playing in an edwardian cup tie against Corinthians or the Royal Engineers

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think Darlington has already decided that the Northern Echo arena was too big for them and that they would play next season, whatever league they were in, somewhere more appropriate. It may be that Nene Park isn't going to be the only white elephant stadium.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I still don't understand why leeds and luton had the massive deductions and darlington, boston etc get relegated 4 divisions but pompey get a measly 10 points??

can anyone explain it to me?

Could be wrong, but Pompey and Leeds are in higher leagues, therefore they would have a better income. Darlo and other lower league clubs dont have a good income and it is very low, so it would be hard to pay the debts.

Thats 1 reason anyway. I mean look at United, they have hundred of millions of debt - yet arent out of business.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I feel sad for Darlo, playing at this level, including in the FA Vase, perhaps against the likes of Littlehampton, Hassocks or Crawley Down.

Strangely I have no similar sympathy for Pompey who "lived the dream" and fcuked over every one who got in their way.

imagine the local derby in the FA Vase quarter finals 2013/14 Portsmouth 0 Chichester City 2

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
Could be wrong, but Pompey and Leeds are in higher leagues, therefore they would have a better income. Darlo and other lower league clubs dont have a good income and it is very low, so it would be hard to pay the debts.

Thats 1 reason anyway. I mean look at United, they have hundred of millions of debt - yet arent out of business.

I kind of understand that but leeds had 30 points deduction, As i see it pompey are in a worser state than leeds were??? I may be wrong.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I kind of understand that but leeds had 30 points deduction, As i see it pompey are in a worser state than leeds were??? I may be wrong.

Leeds were given a 10 points deduction at the end of the 2006/7 season for going into administration. They were then given another 15 points deduction at the beginning of the 2007/8 season for not exiting the CVA in time. The non football creditors have only this week found out they will be given 4p in the £ and will only receive a one off final payment if Leeds get promoted to the Premier League before the start of the 2017/8 season.

see here :Leeds United creditors receive £600,000 payout - Top Stories - Yorkshire Evening Post

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Luton were given a 30 points deduction but that also involved additional charges of irregularities at the club.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Did I see DFC were locked out of their stadium today? I was watching Sky in a pub with no sound on... I guessed that was what happened?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was there just a few years ago to see Darlington lose 2-0 to Rotherham, it was obvious they were going out of the league then and of all the people I spoke to there (not too many, there weren't many there), only a few were overly bothered. Not in a bad way though, there was absolutely no delusion amongst the fans at all. They knew they were a small club who were moved into a ridiculous stadium which has killed them. It is extremely depressing what has happened there, but it wasn't the sort of situation Plymouth were in, for example. Or us, in 1997. Or even Portsmouth today. Darlington were moved into a massive stadium they had absolutely no hope of filling, they were never going to be able to sustain life in that stadium. With one entire stand closed off permanently and only half the stands behind the goals opened, the place looked daft on a matchday. It was easy to get away from though!

Supporters of most Clubs in real difficulties tend to have a huge attachment to their ground. That doesn't seem to be the case at Darlo. The move to Shildon is a clean break that might just save them.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
How on earth did george reynolds manage to become a safe cracker.He must have had the intelligence of a rocking horse to believe that he could build a 25000 all seater stadium in Darlington & believe they could fill it.He could have offered a free blow job from tulisa to all fans & only 5000 would turn up.
The only reason football fans go to Darlington is to change trains.

But the thing that worries me the most is that when George Reynolds came up with this stupid idea why none of his so called friends/colleagues had the decency to tell him what a stupid idea it was

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
But the thing that worries me the most is that when George Reynolds came up with this stupid idea why none of his so called friends/colleagues had the decency to tell him what a stupid idea it was.

CEO's are in fact the smartest people in the world. They wouldn't be hearing it every day from everyone they run into, now would they, if it weren't true?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Terribly sad. Now next year they will ground-share with Shildon, to try and avoid the £10,000 a month that is lost because of the stadium.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Supporters of most Clubs in real difficulties tend to have a huge attachment to their ground. That doesn't seem to be the case at Darlo. The move to Shildon is a clean break that might just save them.

I'm a bit suprised they haven't opted to share with Bishop Auckland. I went past their ground whilst I was up there and was told it had been recently redeveloped and was quite smart inside.

NUFC1892

Feb 13, 2011
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Was down Darlington last season to watch Gateshead play there (never went to that embarrassing pre-season game down there) and you could tell that the ground wasn't maintained very well but who could blame them? Gateshead had around 1,500 there and the overall crowd was 4,000 or so. That stadium has absolutely crippled them and it's a huge shame because they're a decent club. Hopefully the move to Shildon will save them, as someone said earlier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here