Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Dark Side of the moon

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A small extract of an article in todays Telegraph

Roger Waters: ‘I wrote The Dark Side of the Moon – let’s get rid of all this “we” c--p’​

I’d been promised details of a major new musical project, one that may land Waters in yet more hot water. For months, Waters has been secretly working on a new version of Pink Floyd’s psychedelic journey through life and death, sanity and madness, The Dark Side of the Moon (1973).

He has re-recorded it from scratch, without the involvement or even knowledge of any of his old bandmates. He’s still polishing the final details, but plays me a full-length cut. At the time of writing, I’m one of just a handful of people to have heard it from start-to-finish. What I hear comes as a genuine surprise. (More on that, too, later.)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Roger Waters: ‘I wrote The Dark Side of the Moon – let’s get rid of all this “we” c--p’​

I’d been promised details of a major new musical project, one that may land Waters in yet more hot water. For months, Waters has been secretly working on a new version of Pink Floyd’s psychedelic journey through life and death, sanity and madness, The Dark Side of the Moon (1973).

He has re-recorded it from scratch, without the involvement or even knowledge of any of his old bandmates. He’s still polishing the final details, but plays me a full-length cut. At the time of writing, I’m one of just a handful of people to have heard it from start-to-finish. What I hear comes as a genuine surprise. (More on that, too, later.)
Not dissimilar to Martin Tuner who recorded Argus from scratch in 2008 using current recording techniques and also changed the track order to how it would have been released if vinyl constraints hadn't intervened.

Will be interesting to hear Roger Waters recording when it surfaces.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not dissimilar to Martin Tuner who recorded Argus from scratch in 2008 using current recording techniques and also changed the track order to how it would have been released if vinyl constraints hadn't intervened.

Might be similar to when George Lucas, 22 years after making A New Hope said, wait till you see what I can do now I have the money and technology to make the trilogy of films I really wanted to make…

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Atom Heart Mother is their most 'experimental' album, some lovely stuff on it. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is my favourite PF Track.

So...Marmalade, I like Marmalade...

I first listened to AHM in a booth in Beals in East Street and thought WTF. One of my favourite albums. I saw Pink Floyd at the Dome when they performed “Breakfast” live on stage with a primus stove to fry the eggs. Brilliant.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have always found interviews with Roger Waters and his attitude to other members of the band to be very arrogant and bitter. He does seem to have serious issues with so many people and things. He is a flawed genius imo, some of his songs are so depressing whilst also having brilliant lyrics. I think that he is a troubled and very bright soul.

Gilmour, however I find very warm with empathy. I believe he was the one who tried the hardest to help Syd when he lost it, even overseeing his two solo albums.

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I have always found interviews with Roger Waters and his attitude to other members of the band to be very arrogant and bitter. He does seem to have a serious issues with so many people and things. He is a flawed genius imo, some of his songs are so depressing whilst also having brilliant lyrics. I think that he is a troubled and very bright soul.

Gilmour, however I find very warm with empathy. I believe he was the one who tried the hardest to help Syd when he lost it, even overseeing his two solo albums.
Well worth a read

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Slightly different but I remember reading an interview with Jon Hopkins who said that the idea for his masterpiece Singlariy had always been in his head but he never had the experience, knowledge and means to actually make it until he had success with his previous work.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I think it’ll be good

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If you get on YouTube and look for the Pulse Concert you will note how much Gilmour, Mason and Wright are enjoying themselves, a certain other member having flounced... It is a great concert by the way.
I often listen to that on Spotify and watched it on YouTube a while back. I would love to have been there (although I was 11, so probably wouldn't have appreciated it!)

I did go and see Roger Waters in Toronto a few years ago when he did his Us and Them tour. The music and choreography was fantastic but he just can't help bringing politics into it and stopping the music to have his say. He spent a large portion of the show on an anti-Trump crusade, which I'm sure the vast majority of people there agreed with, but that's not really why we went to see the show.

I followed his Facebook page for a while but got tired of his rants. People would often comment on his posts telling him to wind his neck in and stick to the music.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Prompted by this thread I sat and listened to the whole album tonight, for the first time in a couple of years. I first listened to it 40 years ago in the family front room, in front of the open fire with a beer, with headphones on as the rest of the Bodians were in the room. I remember as the last notes died out thinking along the lines of: 'WTF have I just heard, that's amazing'.

In those 40 years, what a lot has changed in the world, and for each of us personally. The internet was a world away, and unimaginable, cars needed checking over weekly and the radiators filling and tyres pumping up, I was just starting out in adult life and about to leave school wondering where I was going to end up - and so on.

I'm not one for introspection usually - but some things just don't leave us do they. Some things are a constant. Tonight I have been sat here in my own front room, in front of my wood-burning stove, with a glass of whisky, with my headphones on so the domestic manager doesn't tell me off for waking the neighbours. And as the last notes die out, I think 'what an amazing album that is'.

And of course - we're in the top division, and looking forward to a possible cup run!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If you get on YouTube and look for the Pulse Concert you will note how much Gilmour, Mason and Wright are enjoying themselves, a certain other member having flounced... It is a great concert by the way.
Didn’t the self important twat go to court to stop the other three touring as Pink Floyd as his ego was so massive he thought it was his band, so if he wasn’t in it it wasn’t Pink Floyd?

Edit - my memory does not fail me :smile:

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Didn’t the self important twat go to court to stop the other three touring as Pink Floyd as his ego was so massive he thought it was his band, so if he wasn’t in it it wasn’t Pink Floyd?

Edit - my memory does not fail me :smile:

Waters has, more recently, acknowledged he was wrong about that but he was in theory, correct. The band had become fractured, the final cut had mixed reviews. The 2 albums post Waters were Gilmour solo projects in all but name, should have released them under a different guise

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here