Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Wilson At Swinedon

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
According to rumours down here, Wilson has only been given a few games to sort out Swindon, starting before Tuesdays home defeat to Charlton.

Alan Curbishly is rumoured to be waiting in the wings...

All rumours I know, I did not expect Swindon to be so bad this season.

oh well....shame....

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry for Danny, but I thought they'd struggle this season. Arguably over-achieved last time, lost a couple of big players, Austin injured quite a bit this campaign...always going to be tough. If they had gone up, I don't think they'd have anywhere near as many points as Millwall have got.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not surprised to see that DW is in trouble. It would be a bit harsh if he got the boot but that's what things are like these days I suppose.

Can't see Curbishley getting the gig however. This is a guy that was on the ENgland manager shortlist a few years back and has been a top achiever in the Prem. He'd surely want a Championship job at the very least.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
They lost Paynter and Greer though. Having seen Swindon on several occasions in recent years the cynical me thinks they were punching above their weight a little last season (given the strength of Norwich and Leeds too), and it would've been tough to replicate that this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Alan Curbishly is rumoured to be waiting in the wings...

Hasnt he often said he isa premiership manager and wouldnt take a job outside of the prem or at the least in the play offs of The Championship. So I would think that this is wishful thinking by the Swinedon fans, who think they are a big club.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
feel for him but yes they overachieved last year and they lost two of their three key players so not too surprising they are struggling a bit. Tuesday was a surprise though and won't have helped his cause even though they are still only a few points off the play-offs (isn't everyone pretty well?)

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
feel for him but yes they overachieved last year and they lost two of their three key players so not too surprising they are struggling a bit. Tuesday was a surprise though and won't have helped his cause even though they are still only a few points off the play-offs (isn't everyone pretty well?)
Its not just losing Greer and Paynter, loan players including Danny Ward were crucial to their success last seaon, and they haven't all come back. My Swindon mates locally are convinced that Charlie Austin will be gone in January, gates are falling as the team declines and they look to be in real trouble all round, and privately will acknowledge that the loss of Greer was a disaster. But why would Curbishley take on Swindon ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wilson fights sale of Greer.
Board go above him and sell him anyway.
Defence falls apart.
Board sack Wilson.

Harsh.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Swindon were relegation fodder before Wilson joined weren't they? He deserves better than that tinpot club imo anyway.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Remember the Swindon fan giving it LARGE on here about the couple of signings they made from Celtic and how they're going to beat us first game of the season.

And THAT thread about Greer saying that they had better.

Oh dear :laugh:.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
They lost Paynter and Greer though. Having seen Swindon on several occasions in recent years the cynical me thinks they were punching above their weight a little last season (given the strength of Norwich and Leeds too), and it would've been tough to replicate that this season.
They also couldn't get back Danny Ward who they had on loan for a lot of last season, another top player at this level that's hard to replace.

Curbishley has been out of the game too long now really, he probably won't get a Premiership job. Still would be shocked if he went as low as Swindon though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Curbs and Wilson are old mates, too. Can't see him taking Danny's job, if Swindon shit on him.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I would be very surprised to see Curbishley take the Swindon job if DW is sacked, you'd have thought he'd get something a bit better than that. During the build up to the big kick off this year, the Swindon supporters were telling us that they had some of the richest directors in football backing them, if that is true it makes you wonder why the took the profit on Greer and why they didn't use some of their huge wealth to replace him. Something doesn't seem quite right there, I hope the Swindon owners have the clubs best interests at heart.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
I would be very surprised to see Curbishley take the Swindon job if DW is sacked, you'd have thought he'd get something a bit better than that. During the build up to the big kick off this year, the Swindon supporters were telling us that they had some of the richest directors in football backing them, if that is true it makes you wonder why the took the profit on Greer and why they didn't use some of their huge wealth to replace him. Something doesn't seem quite right there, I hope the Swindon owners have the clubs best interests at heart.

Thats what they keep telling me about the directors, now apparently the "rich" directors want to get the County Ground up to Championship standards before they worry about promotion.

Plus permission has not been granted for ANY ground improvements, Plus the ground is owned by Swindon Council.

Now what use is a championship ground in Div 2?

I have also been told the said rich directors dont want promotion this year, would Wilson stand for that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here