Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Why would you expect him to have signed by now ? I wouldn’t - if I was in his position I’d wait and see what other options there were. He doesn’t need to rush into anything - he knows he’s in demand.

He might even be on holiday somewhere! I had an interview for a job in the week before my wedding, and it wasn't till I came back from honeymoon that I signed any contracts or anything.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
But it’s not all about football, take your blue and white specs off. Let’s say, for example, Palace offer him 50% more money and a 3 year deal ? He’s not career-focused now, he isn’t going to get a call-up, he’s a footballer with maybe 3-5 years left to maximise his earnings. He’ll follow the money as long as it suits his personal circumstances (moving to China, US or Turkey might not).

Oh agree. That’s why I’m saying for football reasons we surely win. The only reason he’ll be choosing another team will be for financial improvements. I don’t see a better placed club then us, ie a top 6 side, coming in for him.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
But it’s not all about football, take your blue and white specs off. Let’s say, for example, Palace offer him 50% more money and a 3 year deal ? He’s not career-focused now, he isn’t going to get a call-up, he’s a footballer with maybe 3-5 years left to maximise his earnings. He’ll follow the money as long as it suits his personal circumstances (moving to China, US or Turkey might not).

He might have different ideas though. He might understand that he's already set up for the rest of his life. He might want to play as much football as he can, at the highest level that he can.

I do realise that, at the moment, your interpretation is the more likely.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
If he hasn't signed by July 1st he won't.

In 11 days time he is out of contract and we stop paying him. If he's going to stay after that why take a break in his pay ?

I don't think that is true, is it? I thought it was established on here a few years ago that in football, it has become a "thing" that players coming to the end of their contracts at clubs, get an additional month's pay if they haven't already signed a new contract with another club (goodness knows why that became standard, but I'm under the impression it has become the norm).

Am I wrong?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
He might even be on holiday somewhere! I had an interview for a job in the week before my wedding, and it wasn't till I came back from honeymoon that I signed any contracts or anything.

You had your honeymoon before you signed your marriage contract? Good man, always best to have a trial period 👍

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I don't think that is true, is it? I thought it was established on here a few years ago that in football, it has become a "thing" that players coming to the end of their contracts at clubs, get an additional month's pay if they haven't already signed a new contract with another club (goodness knows why that became standard, but I'm under the impression it has become the norm).

Am I wrong?

No you are right.

However I’ve only ever heard it applying to players who have been ‘released’

So I don’t know if the same applies if you have been offered a new contract and not signed it ?

But it absolutely exists in some form.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
What was the injury he sustained at the Man City game ? Could be that's holding everything up , nobody knows but it would be nice to get his signature for another season at least .

Starting next season without Wellbeck and not adding to what we have is a tad risky .

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
What was the injury he sustained at the Man City game ? Could be that's holding everything up , nobody knows but it would be nice to get his signature for another season at least .

Starting next season without Wellbeck and not adding to what we have is a tad risky .[/QUOTE]

Risky but not completely out of the question.

Last summer we lost out on Darwin Nunez on the 5th September which left us scrambling for a striker.

The season kicked off on the 12th September and we didn't sign Welbeck for another 6 weeks.

I've no doubt we made contact with Welbecks representative as soon as we lost Nunez, but they held out until last possible moment before committing, probably waiting for a better offer.

It happened before and may happen again.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Risky but not completely out of the question.

Last summer we lost out on Darwin Nunez on the 5th September which left us scrambling for a striker.

The season kicked off on the 12th September and we didn't sign Welbeck for another 6 weeks.

I've no doubt we made contact with Welbecks representative as soon as we lost Nunez, but they held out until last possible moment before committing, probably waiting for a better offer.

It happened before and may happen again.

We wouldn't have made contact with Welbeck's agent as he was still under contract with Watford when we missed out on Nunez. There is very little chance he was a potential target until he was released from that contract on October 5th. From the time he became a free agent to him signing with us was less than 2 weeks.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Alzate 5.0 Million

Bissouma 4.5 Million

Blimey he must be off to Arsenal then .

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Danny Welbeck signs a new one year deal :thumbsup:

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2177528/welbeck-signs-new-deal/

Brighton & Hove Albion are delighted to confirm that Danny Welbeck has signed a new one-year contract with the club.

The 30-year-old initially joined Albion in October 2020 on a one-year contract, going on to score six goals and assisting three times in 24 Premier League outings.

Albion head coach Graham Potter said, “We’re delighted that he’s with us for next season. Danny has demonstrated what is expected of a top professional from the moment he arrived here. As soon as the season finished, extending his stay at the club was a top priority.

“He is a brilliant role model to have around the place and his experience at the very top end of the game is invaluable for helping us continuing to improve as a team."

Welbeck began his career with boyhood club Manchester United, going on to win the Premier League, the League Cup and Community Shield both on two occasions, as well as the FIFA Club World Cup.

He departed for Arsenal in a £16 million move in 2014 where another trophy followed as the Gunners lifted the FA Cup in 2017.

His time at the Emirates came to an end in 2019, before spending a season with Watford.

The striker also has 42 England caps to his name, scoring on 16 occasions.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just signed a new one-year contract with us.

Yay!

Graham Potter said, “We’re delighted that he’s with us for next season. Danny has demonstrated what is expected of a top professional from the moment he arrived here. As soon as the season finished, extending his stay at the club was a top priority.

“He is a brilliant role model to have around the place and his experience at the very top end of the game is invaluable for helping us continuing to improve as a team."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here