Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Jul 20, 2003
14 PL goals in 45 appearances in his first season and a bit says you're wrong. Although I agree he was awful today

lovely lay off in the build up to the March goal, anyway back to Welbeck

Fergusson and Wenger both played him over 100 times. Looking at that 90mins he's fit and he's still in his 20s (albeit only for a few days).

Happy ****ing days :)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have him on a one year contract don't we? Sounds like our contracts dept need to firm up DW's stay.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Brilliant goal today. Hope he stays fit and keeps it up.

When Danny ran through for the goal today I couldn't help thinking of Murray last season being equally 10 yards clear through on goal around the half way line, then making it a few yards towards their goal before deciding to stop, turn around and lay the ball off - knowing he just didn't have the legs. That was painful to watch at the time and that's when I knew Glenn's time was up. Loved Glenn but Danny looks to be a significant upgrade - cheers Watford

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[emoji38]ol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Don't normally do smug history crawling. It was a genuine LOL when I saw 'Aston Villa'.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't really mind if he continues to play like that. I'm not sure he will, mind, but the signs are promising.

i would have been unsure about him signing. But he does seem to add something that was missing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He missed a couple of one on ones v Burnley, and made a mess of a great chance against Villa, so I'm not 100% convinced. That said, his partnership with Maupay worked well and he took his goal expertly, so I'm happy overall.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
He missed a couple of one on ones v Burnley, and made a mess of a great chance against Villa, so I'm not 100% convinced. That said, his partnership with Maupay worked well and he took his goal expertly, so I'm happy overall.
That's harsh re. Burnley. Pope made some top saves: the one with his feet, Danny did everything right.

So many column inches on hear bemoaning lack of quality striker etc. We get one (good enough for Arsenal, ManU, England) and little credit given to the recruitment team.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's harsh re. Burnley. Pope made some top saves: the one with his feet, Danny did everything right.

So many column inches on hear bemoaning lack of quality striker etc. We get one (good enough for Arsenal, ManU, England) and little credit given to the recruitment team.

You're being very precious. I'm not damming Welbeck with faint praise or begrudging him a good review for yesterday. I'm just calling it as I see it. I.e. that yesterday he was decent, against Burnley not so much and that I hope he can convince me he was a good signing in the coming games. :shrug:

I won't be bouncing threads when he has crap games any more than I expect my posts to be bounced on the days he scores - if it turns out that only scores one in 20 matches.

Fingers crossed he turns out to be an inspired signing. Yesterday's was a wonderful finish for his goal.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Must say, I was extremely disappointed with this signing. But, hands up. He's looked superb. He looks sharp, albeit seems to struggle last 10mins. But he is crucial to how we want to play, and would be a big miss if he was out. Big upgrade on what we had.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I thought we should not have offered Wlbeck a contract as I thought he was a spent force not having played much in several seasons and doing very little for Watford.

I am starting to think I might have been wrong if he can stay fit he has shown that he is still a top striker and a perfect partner for our Maupay and Connerly

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere

This. Welbeck is class and will score a hat full when in top form and will continue to miss quite a few as well. The worry is Maupay's form, that chance to go around the Villa keeper to his left was a glaring miss for a pro striker and shows a lack of confidence by trying to get a shot away too quickly.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal]

You're being very precious. I'm not damming Welbeck with faint praise or begrudging him a good review for yesterday. I'm just calling it as I see it. I.e. that yesterday he was decent, against Burnley not so much and that I hope he can convince me he was a good signing in the coming games. :shrug:

I won't be bouncing threads when he has crap games any more than I expect my posts to be bounced on the days he scores - if it turns out that only scores one in 20 matches.

Fingers crossed he turns out to be an inspired signing. Yesterday's was a wonderful finish for his goal.

Think you’re being a little harsh re Burnley as well.

Yes, he should have scored, but then so should have Maupay who has been given quite an easy ride since he’s been here.

But re Welbeck vs Burnley, shouldn’t he have received some credit for being in those positions, particularly as it was his first game for X months?

I quite rated him prior to him signing, and nothing has changed and as you say hopefully he can continue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I noticed how much more aerial ball was going into the box (especially from March) as we have a 6ft 2 target man now.

Those that did their research knew that Welbeck was very good for Watford post Lockdown-1, he has continued that form and easily asserted himself as our number 1 striker.

The longer he stays fit, the higher up the table we’ll climb.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Massively over excited by Welbeck and I’m not pulling that back in check by coming up with reasons to think otherwise.

Many didn’t even expect him to be starting games so soon after no pre-season, but he’s hit the ground well and truly running. He’s missed a few chances because he’s getting chances.

I think his impact is larger than just on the pitch as well. His personality appears to have fitted straight in, a lift around the place. He seems to have ‘got’ Brighton straight away and there is a smile on his face as he plays.

No caveats from me, think he is the real deal. Keep him fit and who knows how many he could get. Great start to his Albion career.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here