Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
aside wages i cant understand why anyone would be against this. obviously have a lot of faith in our current forwards.

I do have a lot of faith in our forwards, but can see that on the right deal Welbeck would add something to the squad and give us another option.

Like Lallana. You don't play for England that many times and score those goals without having quality.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
If he provided the urgently needed aerial threat/defence then it’s a yes from me too

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
aside wages i cant understand why anyone would be against this. obviously have a lot of faith in our current forwards.

And there you have it - wages.

By getting rid of Stephens, Knockaert, Murray, Duffy, Mooy they've created the budget and a space for the likes of Alzate, Bissouma, Connolly, White, Molumby to fill that tier. I'm not sure how the squad would feel if Welbeck were parachuted in as a top earner whilst having no guarantee of a starting position, especially if he got the game time but didn't deliver.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Personally, I think it depends whether we believe Zeqiri is the real deal or not. If he isn't ready for the first team yet, then I would look at Welbeck. To be honest, I'd probably look at Welbeck anyway because I don't think Connolly is up to it at this level yet, I think he'd benefit from a loan in the Championship.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

By getting rid of Stephens, Knockaert, Murray, Duffy, Mooy they've created the budget and a space for the likes of Alzate, Bissouma, Connolly, White, Molumby to fill that tier. I'm not sure how the squad would feel if Welbeck were parachuted in as a top earner whilst having no guarantee of a starting position, especially if he got the game time but didn't deliver.

If he wants to be our top earner then he wont be signing, if he is realistic and fancies another chance at the top flight then I would like to think he would see sense and take a good reasonable wage...

This is a premier league footballer though we are talking about... I have no idea how grounded and sensible Welbeck is... he seems as footballers go pretty solid on that front

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Absolutely not on £100k per week ! Maybe ok if he stays fit on a one year deal with an option for another year if fits within the £40-50k pay bracket our squad reportedly use.

Some other less well run club will probably offer him £100k a week but no one sensible would . He’s got a lot to prove that is the player he was even 2 years ago .

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Like Lallana. You don't play for England that many times and score those goals without having quality.

Welbeck, Sturridge, Wilshere - 102 England caps, 26 goals, all have played for England in last 4 years, all without clubs.

Maybe they should give Steve Bruce a call - he gave Andy Carroll a one-year extension this summer after 31 Prem matches without a goal.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
These players must get stuck in ruts somehow . . . . If theyre getting paid a shit load to do nothing ( Barry) and are ok with it, it says something abpout their ambition and/or drive

or maybe they just need a good manager/coach hoof up the arse to kick start their careers?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I do hope the likes of Alzate, Bissouma, Connolly, White and Molumby have recovered from the injury prone Lallana being ‘parachuted in as a top earner whilst having no guarantee of a starting position’. Poor lads.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If he wants to be our top earner then he wont be signing, if he is realistic and fancies another chance at the top flight then I would like to think he would see sense and take a good reasonable wage...

This is a premier league footballer though we are talking about... I have no idea how grounded and sensible Welbeck is... he seems as footballers go pretty solid on that front

exactly. shouldn't break the bank structure to get him, but should have a conversation with him, bags of experience, talent, and the sort of forward we need. (if he stays fit).

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Past it? he's 29, we just loaned out a 37 year old who wasn't past it the last few years in his mid thirties

How has Welbeck performed in his last few seasons in the PL?

If we’re going down the veteran root I’d rather have Glenn back.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Welbeck, Sturridge, Wilshere - 102 England caps, 26 goals, all have played for England in last 4 years, all without clubs.

Maybe they should give Steve Bruce a call - he gave Andy Carroll a one-year extension this summer after 31 Prem matches without a goal.

Sturridge had his contract cancelled in Turkey after getting banned for betting on games.

Maybe he's one of the many who has gambling issues?

Goal ratio is good, and could still do a job for someone imho if his off field issues can be resolved?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
How has Welbeck performed in his last few seasons in the PL?

If we’re going down the veteran root I’d rather have Glenn back.

Injured until Watford, he played well in every Watford game I watched. I think he would do great if he has a run of games and could stay fit - similar to Lallana.

Don't worry, it won't happen. But I'd be happy if he came to compete - and all of Maupay, Connolly and Zeqiri would learn from a former Man U, Arsenal and England striker - just as I'm sure, others learn off Lallana.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here