Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Cashman - our best prospect!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Does our resident youth team expert [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] agree?

If we're looking at youngsters of scholar age (U-17s and U-18s) then Aaron Connolly is currently ahead of Cashman. He is the year above Danny and signed his first professional contract with the club in the summer.

I hardly ever get to see the youth team so it's difficult to comment, but I was very impressed with U-16 Teddy Hoare in the friendly against Rangers last month; a midfielder, he has already captained England at U-15 and U-16 level.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
If we're looking at youngsters of scholar age (U-17s and U-18s) then Aaron Connolly is currently ahead of Cashman. He is the year above Danny and signed his first professional contract with the club in the summer.

I hardly ever get to see the youth team so it's difficult to comment, but I was very impressed with U-16 Teddy Hoare in the friendly against Rangers last month; a midfielder, he has already captained England at U-15 and U-16 level.

do you really live in Phoenix Arizona and nip over for the odd youth game here and there ?

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Looking at that photo of Swansea's Mason Jones-Thomas, my money is on him to be BetFred World Snooker Champion 2019.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

The guardian article is limited to first year scholars (Sep 2000 to Aug 2001) so pretty limiting. Would have thought Molumby is actually our best young prospect?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Indeed. Whenever I read about rashfords rise I do wonder whether he'd still be waiting for his chance or whether he would have dropped down through the divisions had Man U not been forced to use him for a European game when he made his debut. A lot of the lads on these lists are probably good enough for the top level but just don't get the opportunity.

Not forgetting that he only got that opportunity because we had James Wilson on loan who was thought to be the better prospect at the time.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Not Trent Alexander Arnold? He's made about 20 first team starts for Liverpool!

Also, surprised if people don't know Marcus Edwards. Been a real star of all the England age group teams at the various tournaments for the last 5 years. Going to be quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoqnWPu1dh8

One for you to enjoy. Quite jerky footage annoyingly, but maybe it's just my browser.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was going to suggest a thread title change, but maybe not! Nice one.
It’s a snippet in time that just shows how hard it is to call a young player’s progress.

Turns out The Guardian focussed in on a guy who is now the best player in a National League South team. Teddy Hoare I think became Teddy Jenks and is now at Forest Green, though I’m willing for AZ to correct either of those facts as the googling rather drops off a cliff.

AZ himself correctly called that the most likely to progress direct to first team was Connolly, who it’s best you & I don’t discuss 😉

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Am I the only one bothered by the way he didn't celebrate with the guy that was instrumental in helping him score? That wasn't an individual goal
No, his assister ran towards him, and Cashman ran away from him. I don't like that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It’s a snippet in time that just shows how hard it is to call a young player’s progress.

Turns out The Guardian focussed in on a guy who is now the best player in a National League South team. Teddy Hoare I think became Teddy Jenks and is now at Forest Green, though I’m willing for AZ to correct either of those facts as the googling rather drops off a cliff. (Edit looks like they loaned him to Ross County).

AZ himself correctly called that the most likely to progress direct to first team was Connolly, who it’s best you & I don’t discuss 😉
We got an unusual opportunity to assess this particular cohort (though not actually Cashman), as Potter went and played a lot of them together against Villa's first team in the League Cup!

The real stand outs (IMO) were Teddy Jenks, who showed terrific composure, under extremely challenging circumstances, and 16 year old Hayden Roberts.

The ones who were supposed to be better - Taylor Richards and Tudor Baluta - were underwhelming. Remember being fairly impressed with Ryan Longman.

Jul 20, 2003

Turns out The Guardian focussed in on a guy who is now the best player in a National League South team. Teddy Hoare I think became Teddy Jenks and is now at Forest Green, though I’m willing for AZ to correct either of those facts as the googling rather drops off a cliff. (Edit looks like they loaned him to Ross County).

Jenks was the kid the guardian featured. His dad was a regular in a pub where I worked.

He's started the last few for Forest Green having come off the bench in the early games (Teddy, not his dad).

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Guardian running their yearly pick of the best prospects at each Premier League club -

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...0-of-the-best-talents-at-premier-league-clubs

Great to see us mentioned in these articles but a look back at the previous years doesn't show a great deal of success at higher level.
Interesting how few of these boys have had a career in the professional game. Obviously, some exceptions with Hudson-Odoi, Anthony Gordon, Nathan Collins and Curtis Jones. Oliver Skipp is also having a career in the Premier League, although not for much longer as he's awful and being found out.

Light_Bulb

Aug 20, 2024
Why is there an advertising hoarding with Arsenal on it?! Do bigger clubs sponsor smaller clubs these days?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here