Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dan Harding

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Correction: Harding was offered £800 for the first year of his new contract, £900 the second year and £1,000 the 3rd year, he was on a lot less before hand.

Still, go ahead and Boooooooo him if it means he has a shitter :thumbsup:

ah right, that is a bit shite for someone who was a starting left back. I would assume players like Cox (I appreciate not in the same position but the same principle) are on a lot more than that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The fact that they were both so key to the team at the time they played ought to be a clue as to why fans feel so strongly about them leaving. You could lob Dean Hammond into the mix too. It's an indirect but very real acknowledgement of a players skill and worth to the club.

Little boys pull the hair of girls they like - they don't know why and I guess the little girls don't like it - but that's how it goes.

God what crap. Leon Knight had gifted feet and a misguided head and to say he was glad Brighton were relegated as he is alleged to have done merits the animosity he gets from us (and probably every other club he goes to).

As for your comment regarding Harding and Hammond skill and worth. I don't hate them but I certainly wouldn't welcome them back. I never considered either of them to be key to the team and it was good business when you consider what we got for them. However, it is the manner in which they and their agents handled the situations that pissed of fans. If you want a transfer, say you want a transfer rather than holding out for a bosman (although I doubt even Harding thought Leeds would have to pay £850k for him).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
God what crap. Leon Knight had gifted feet and a misguided head and to say he was glad Brighton were relegated as he is alleged to have done merits the animosity he gets from us (and probably every other club he goes to).

As for your comment regarding Harding and Hammond skill and worth. I don't hate them but I certainly wouldn't welcome them back. I never considered either of them to be key to the team and it was good business when you consider what we got for them. However, it is the manner in which they and their agents handled the situations that pissed of fans. If you want a transfer, say you want a transfer rather than holding out for a bosman (although I doubt even Harding thought Leeds would have to pay £850k for him).

Like I said - you pull their hair but you don't know why. Bit harsh to dismiss some broadly accepted psychological analysis as crap tho.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
So the Brighton website are putting something nice about him up so we dont boo him again. As WW said i was also at Leeds and booed him like mad and called a ****, twat, traitor, etc. But then i have no idea why?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Like I said - you pull their hair but you don't know why. Bit harsh to dismiss some broadly accepted psychological analysis as crap tho.

I can only speak for myself but if you asked anyone that knows me you will find out that during their playing careers with Brighton I never rated either Hammond or Harding, hence the reason I think we got excellent deals for them. I don't hate the players (are any player for that matter) but do resent the manner of their departure and therefore on the basis of that and the fact I don't think they are great players I would not want to see either of them back at Brighton.

So you can keep your 'broadly accepted psychological analysis' to yourselves

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I believe Dan Harding is a Leeds fan. You can hardly blame him for joining the club he supports when the opportunity arose can you?

By the way, do Leeds have a scouting network or do they just sign anyone who plays well against them at Elland Road (ala Carole)?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
So the Brighton website are putting something nice about him up so we dont boo him again. As WW said i was also at Leeds and booed him like mad and called a ****, twat, traitor, etc. But then i have no idea why?

That's quite a sad confession.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I rated Dan Harding and feel, in retrospect, he would have done better to stay here for another couple of seasons to improve rather than stepping up to a club with way higher expectations whilst he was still learning his trade. He hadn't even had a full season as 1st choice LB when he let the glitter of money cloud his vision.

Well given that Mayo was a seasoned pro probably in his prime and Harding had just came out of the youth team I dont see that as much as surprise!

I'm looking forward to booing him on Friday, hopefully it has the same effect as last time and he has a shocker :thumbsup:

although he was an England international at the time............

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yes, that was it - Harding claimed throughout the season that he was going to sign for us, then jumped ship for Leeds, and had the audacity to claim he was a Leeds fan.

Tosser.

if you were in dans situation and was offered a contract at a higher club at the time what would you do ?

Be honest about your intentions maybe?

I'm sure that most Albion fans have no problems with players moving on to better themselves. What pisses us off is when the likes of Harding strings along the club that turned him into a footballer and then pisses off to Leeds after saying he'd sign a contract with us. Hammond is no different to Harding-just a different set of circumstances. If you want to move on to earn more money that isn't a problem-just have the balls to admit that that is what you're doing. You may not be as popular as you once were but at least the fans would respect your decision and the way you conducted yourself.

Act like those two did-expect grief from Albion fans.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Just been reminded about him on the official site (Fond Memories for Harding | Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest | Latest)

However, I CAN'T remember why we hate him.
I remember going MENTAL at him at Elland Road with 1000 others, but why was that? It can't have just been because he didn't sign a contract, surely?

"hate" is a strong word , but I have a feeling it's something to do with him failing to show interest in actually battling and playing once his agent filled his head with shit ( he was a fantastic player for us until all this talk about playing for Rangers,Everton etc.. came about)

after that he was never the same player and I feel some of the fans were let down by that attitude

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I went to school with him. Thats good enough for me. Wonder if we tried to get him before Richards came back?

You must have gone to school with DJ and co. then?

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Just been reminded about him on the official site (Fond Memories for Harding | Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest | Latest)

However, I CAN'T remember why we hate him.
I remember going MENTAL at him at Elland Road with 1000 others, but why was that? It can't have just been because he didn't sign a contract, surely?

I don't hate him. It wasn't the fact he didn't sign another contract, if a player gets a better opportunity you can't blame him for going but it was the way he did it. Virgo and Revell moved clubs but they did it with respect for Brighton, players like Harding and Hammond didn't.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
To boo, or not to boo: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The abuse and vitriol by outrageously signing for Leeds,
Or to take arms against a seagull supporter causing trouble,
And by having a shocker end them?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
RE: the booing thing , SURELY the easier option is to shun?

no?

ok then , fair enough *heads out of door*

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i was also at Leeds and booed him like mad and called a ****, twat, traitor, etc. But then i have no idea why?

Ah, I think I can help you with this one.

Is it not because you are a sad little sheep who always repeats what your mates say / do? :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here