Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dan Harding. Am I missing something?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Are we absolutely sure that it is the same Dan Harding that plays for us that is in the under21-s and has Everton and Cardiff after him? Is it definitelty the same Brighton & Hove Albion he plays for? Why can't I see this supposed promising talent? Surely both Virgo and Hinshelwood are better players than he is?

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
Agree 100%. Have never reted Harding. When ever the ball comes to him in the air, he cannot head the ball straight on and he turns his head to one side.

May be Ok on the deck, but cannot head a ball.

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
Quality player who for some reason seems to be made a scapegoat for every goal we let in..

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
i agree that he has some talent, under coppell when he was used sparingly as a left sided midfield player he looked very promising but at left back i really cant see what he offers that mayo doesn't? surely we would benefit from a midfield of:

L Harding Nicolas Carps. Currie R

given that curry is both footed he can cut inside on either foot and with mayo behind him maybe harding would prove a better proposition.
having said that i do agree he is worth taking a risk on but so far this season through individual errors alone he has cost us three or four goals. but he is improving.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
fourthteamtillidie said:
i agree that he has some talent, under coppell when he was used sparingly as a left sided midfield player he looked very promising but at left back i really cant see what he offers that mayo doesn't? surely we would benefit from a midfield of:

L Harding Nicolas Carps. Currie R

given that curry is both footed he can cut inside on either foot and with mayo behind him maybe harding would prove a better proposition.
having said that i do agree he is worth taking a risk on but so far this season through individual errors alone he has cost us three or four goals. but he is improving.

I thought he was awful in midfield last season, never took anyone on and spent most games passing the ball back to Mayo. When he came back into the side early this year at left back he looked good, it just seems that since the play offs his confidence has been shot to pieces. However the last couple of games he has looked better.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think he's great - for such a young player to be in one of the most pressurised positions on the field, and to carry it off with composure and skill is something to admire.

I am amazed at the consistent quality and assuredness of our young players. It's a fantastic tribute to all of our coaching staff and the club that we can produce so many quality players - and in pretty difficult financial and physical conditions.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
He is good. Also, a decent left sided player that is composed on the ball is a rarity in the England set ups.

He will mature into a good player; people need to stop making him a scapegoat.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
fatboy said:
He is good. Also, a decent left sided player that is composed on the ball is a rarity in the England set ups.

He will mature into a good player; people need to stop making him a scapegoat.

My take on it is he has been made a scapegoat as he made a number of mistakes in the first few games and they seemed to always lead to goals. Also Mayo was in better form but McGhee stuck with Harding, which did not seem correct.

I do doubt whether he will sign that contract, McGhee's comment on Ceefax yesterday that they can never set a meeting up with his agent, does sound like Dan is being touted to other clubs.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I think Dan will want to stay here.

He is only young, his family and friends are here, his girlfriend is here and the many other girls he "knows", he likes the big car coming to pick him up and take him to the airport. Mark McGhee said he will benefit from another year or two of first team football here.

He is not a stupid boy. I think he will stay.

And if he doesn't, Charlie will get him.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't reckon he'll sign either. I'm not that bothered to be honest. I'm not saying he is a bad player or making him a scapegoat, just that I still can't believe he is in the under-21's. Don't reckon he'd make it at a higher level than this, I'd be suprised if he spends the majority of his career outside the bottom two divisions. Problem is I don't rate Mayo either. Whats happened to Jones? He never seems to be in contention anymore.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
fatboy said:
I think Dan will want to stay here.

He is only young, his family and friends are here, his girlfriend is here and the many other girls he "knows", he likes the big car coming to pick him up and take him to the airport. Mark McGhee said he will benefit from another year or two of first team football here.

He is not a stupid boy. I think he will stay.

And if he doesn't, Charlie will get him.

Sadly I think money talks and if he see's what a few of the lads on the U21 trips have he may decided to try and get some of that himself.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Maybe the reason he has been blamed for a couple of goals is that whoever is playing left mid is not helping him much? I rated him loads last season, but he looks a bit more nervous this season and needs to put on weight and then get the confidence to be able to get stuck in.

I agree 100% with titanic that our youth system must be awesome, think of the number of players we now have in and around the first team who are very very good and who we haven't had to buy off anyone. Our youth system must be the most positive thing to have come out of the archer nightmare. Would we have put so much energy into it without the crippiling financial problems we have?

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
lost in london said:
Maybe the reason he has been blamed for a couple of goals is that whoever is playing left mid is not helping him much? I rated him loads last season, but he looks a bit more nervous this season and needs to put on weight and then get the confidence to be able to get stuck in.

I agree 100% with titanic that our youth system must be awesome, think of the number of players we now have in and around the first team who are very very good and who we haven't had to buy off anyone. Our youth system must be the most positive thing to have come out of the archer nightmare. Would we have put so much energy into it without the crippiling financial problems we have?

I don't think that it is so much an awesome Youth set up but a manager who can get the best out of young players. Just look at last time we were in this division with the Hinshelwood babes. Marney and co are now all playing non league.

As for Harding he is average and we should make the most of the England U21 manager having faith in him and flog him just in case Hull get sick of Taylor juggling 2 jobs.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Commander said:
Are we absolutely sure that it is the same Dan Harding that plays for us that is in the under21-s and has Everton and Cardiff after him? Is it definitelty the same Brighton & Hove Albion he plays for? Why can't I see this supposed promising talent? Surely both Virgo and Hinshelwood are better players than he is?

Yes clearly you are missing something. He is a left sided player!:lolol:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
don't get me wrong i'm not trying to make him a scapegoat but it's correct to say that in the first few games he made mistakes directly leading to goals that cost us points in situations where we could have got points. some people on here seem to mistake constructive and factual criticism for blind disregard for a players worth. he is improving but is not the finished article. maybe a spell on the sidelines would make him more consistent and maybe less exposed. plus he really needs to improve his distribution but i'm surethat will improve with theu21 training etc.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Commander said:
Whats happened to Jones? He never seems to be in contention anymore.

That is because he is no fuc*ing good! :dunce:

And stop slagging-off Dan on here. His mum and dad may be on here as they are true Seagulls fans!

LDH

Sep 22, 2004
I still think he's been wrong blamed for'all these goals' we let in. Against Plymouth Mayo played him a terrible ball, twice for both of his booking and I pretty sure their bloke dived for the pen too.. I think he's been pretty solid this season as he was towards the end of last. He must be doing something right if MM, Pete Taylor and Cardiff and Everton all rate him.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
3gulls said:
That is because he is no fuc*ing good! :dunce:

And stop slagging-off Dan on here. His mum and dad may be on here as they are true Seagulls fans!

Somewhat hypocritical.

What if Jones or his family are reading!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here