Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Having reached the top ten without him, can we now stop the renting of clothes over the price we sold BDB for? We got £13m+ for a now thirty year old centre half when we were 9th in January. As we have now finished 9th, it hasn't cost us any money in loss of earnings from potential finishing position. It made us a £10m profit, minus what we paid Wigan in sell on fees, but plus what we saved on his wages for the second half of the season. Another way of looking at it is that, following very decent service, Dan made us a profit that would buy the next Jakub Moder, two Moises Caicedos or ten Joel Veltmans. Its a small point, but I'm just a bit fed up with people arguing that we sell our players on the cheap and using BDB as an example. He was sold at a fair price and just because it turned out a good deal for all parties, doesn't mean that he should have been worth twice as much.

Just stop, with this sensible logic.....
(well said)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having reached the top ten without him, can we now stop the renting of clothes over the price we sold BDB for? We got £13m+ for a now thirty year old centre half when we were 9th in January. As we have now finished 9th, it hasn't cost us any money in loss of earnings from potential finishing position. It made us a £10m profit, minus what we paid Wigan in sell on fees, but plus what we saved on his wages for the second half of the season. Another way of looking at it is that, following very decent service, Dan made us a profit that would buy the next Jakub Moder, two Moises Caicedos or ten Joel Veltmans. Its a small point, but I'm just a bit fed up with people arguing that we sell our players on the cheap and using BDB as an example. He was sold at a fair price and just because it turned out a good deal for all parties, doesn't mean that he should have been worth twice as much.

Who are we renting our clothes to? Is it by the hour, by the week, ormfor,how long? - and do they lose their deposit if they don't wash/dry clean them before giving them back?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Great business for Brighton and Newcastle. Proving that he is a good CB which is a position he rarely played for us. I can never see Howe playing him at FB or WB which is where he mostly played for us

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Who are we renting our clothes to? Is it by the hour, by the week, ormfor,how long? - and do they lose their deposit if they don't wash/dry clean them before giving them back?

I should have used 'rending'. I've looked it up and it seems that, although the adjective is rent (torn), the verb is to rend (tear). Therefore if we were renting our garments and then rending them, they would end up rent and we wouldn't get back the deposit on the rent when we rendered them back unto Moss Bros.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
...it hasn't cost us any money in loss of earnings from potential finishing position.

I am not suggesting we undersold Burn (I don't think we did all things considered), but we don’t know that we wouldn’t have finished higher than 9th, and increased our earnings, if Burn had stayed, or for that matter finished lower.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I should have used 'rending'. I've looked it up and it seems that, although the adjective is rent (torn), the verb is to rend (tear). Therefore if we were renting our garments and then rending them, they would end up rent and we wouldn't get back the deposit on the rent.

:thumbsup:

Hadn't thought of it before, but I guess it's the same rules as bend and bent, lend and lent, send, etc.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I am not suggesting we undersold Burn (I don't think we did all things considered), but we don’t know that we wouldn’t have finished higher than 9th, and increased our earnings, if Burn had stayed, or for that matter finished lower.

True, but I said this just to refute the argument being made at the time that we'd lose more in prize money than we'd get in transfer fee. Having finished where we did, for this to be true, we would have had to finish third had we kept him. I'd hazard to suggest that, given that Chelsea already had 47 points when BDB was sold, this wasn't a realistic outcome.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...oney-2021-22-how-much-every-team-earn-1644024

Incidentally, yesterday's second half turnaround made us £8.8 million in 45 minutes!

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
True, but I said this just to refute the argument being made at the time that we'd lose more in prize money than we'd get in transfer fee. Having finished where we did, for this to be true, we would have had to finish third had we kept him. I'd hazard to suggest that, given that Chelsea already had 47 points when BDB was sold, this wasn't a realistic outcome.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...oney-2021-22-how-much-every-team-earn-1644024

You are forgetting potential European money had we finished in top 7 and that is part of the prize money.

I was someone who felt he shouldn't have been sold , i am certainly not ripping my clothes in anguish because he went.

Selling him was a gamble that ended with no discernible negative impact because we finished 9th , hind sight is great isn't it

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Incidentally, yesterday's second half turnaround made us £8.8 million in 45 minutes!

6th or 7th would have given us more than just the £2.2M per rung on the ladder though. It was good business, it just sadly coincided with problems with Webster being out and Dunk not on best form after returning from injury.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
6th or 7th would have given us more than just the £2.2M per rung on the ladder though. It was good business, it just sadly coincided with problems with Webster being out and Dunk not on best form after returning from injury.

I think his sale cost us a place in Europe. But all things considered, we really can't complain....

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You are forgetting potential European money had we finished in top 7 and that is part of the prize money.

I was someone who felt he shouldn't have been sold , i am certainly not ripping my clothes in anguish because he went.

Selling him was a gamble that ended with no discernible negative impact because we finished 9th , hind sight is great isn't it

Your points about more money being made for European spots is obviously correct, but the argument being made in January wasn't 'Don't sell him as we won't reach Europe without him.' Few of us had that level of hubris. The argument being made was 'We'll slip down the league and this will cost us what we make from the transfer in terms of our share of the prize pot.' That's the only argument my statement was concerned with.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think his sale cost us a place in Europe. But all things considered, we really can't complain....

On the other hand our fantastic uptick in form came when Cucurella went to left of a three and Trossard played wider, which may not have happened if Burn had stayed.

Of course it also coincided with Caicedo's arrival alongside Bissouma in Central midfield, giving us way more energy in there.

And with Gross pushed further forward. And with March playing a lot on the right. And with Welbeck getting a run as sole striker. And with MacAllister given a lot of freedom in the centre.

Lots of moving parts in football, but we came across something that worked beautifully.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

I don't care what you say. I loved him, and I miss him and I hate Newcastle and it all made me very confused and angry inside.

So there.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
gt49er said "Hadn't thought of it before, but I guess it's the same rules as bend and bent, lend and lent, send, etc."

... or "mend" and "ment" ("mended"), just to show that trying to make rules for the English language (grammar and spelling) just doesn't work very well. How non-English speakers ever learn it I just don't know (and, really, what is that "k" doing at the front of "know").

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I’m just glad that Veltman has had the amount of game time that he deserved. He was looking to be on the bench earlier in the season but has been quite brilliant in how he has adapted to wherever he is put.
Selling Burn was good business. Whilst Newcastle got safe in the end with his help, the bits I have watched on telly haven’t always shown our Dan up in the best of lights.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Your points about more money being made for European spots is obviously correct, but the argument being made in January wasn't 'Don't sell him as we won't reach Europe without him.' Few of us had that level of hubris. The argument being made was 'We'll slip down the league and this will cost us what we make from the transfer in terms of our share of the prize pot.' That's the only argument my statement was concerned with.

We did slip down the league but as has been said other factors came into play Mwepu back (for some games) , Caicedo has been a revelation , Dunk got back to form etc and we got back to winning ways. No one can say for certainty whether we would have finished higher if we had kept him but we looked a weaker side at the back after his departure and lost games we might have taken some points from.

It's all irrelevant really we finished a brilliant 9th.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
It took us until march , to get the players in the right system , to deal with the departure of Burn , Now we are not missing him in the team , but we still need 2 more CB , as I am sure Duffy will be off as well .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here