Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
One thing Smug is really good at is getting his players playing attacking football, I think he could turn ASM into a consistent top player. We’ll see, but from what I’ve seen of him he is potentially a brilliant player

He has a ‘we’ll score one more than you’ Keegan approach. He did well in the EPL with Bournemouth until the goals dried up. I remember plenty of goals from outside the box from his Bournemouth’s sides, his players shoot when Potter’s players pass, he does not value possession that much.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
ASHWORTH TO LEAVE ALBION

Dan Ashworth has resigned from his position as technical director to take a similar role at another Premier League club.

Former Everton and Rangers player and Scotland international David Weir becomes the club’s acting technical director with immediate effect, having recently been promoted to assistant technical director.

In line with his contractual terms, Ashworth will now begin an extended period of gardening leave, after which he will be able to take up a new position elsewhere.

He will continue to report to deputy chairman and chief executive Paul Barber for any duties required during his notice period, but as is standard procedure with such occurrences, he will not be expected to attend the club’s premises, or matches, after his handover is completed later this week.

Paul commented, “We are sorry to learn of Dan’s decision. He’s been an important part of the club’s senior management team since joining us from The FA, and has made a significant contribution to our club’s progress in the Premier League and Women’s Super League.

“On a personal level, I will be sad to see Dan leave as we’d developed a close day to day working relationship. Dan’s been an excellent colleague and has become a good friend as well. I wish Dan and his family well for the future.

“However, as is the case with all top quality people in any industry, we are always conscious of the risk of losing key staff to a rival. With that in mind, we always put in place contingencies and succession plans that are designed to minimise the impact on our club.

“As such, our assistant technical director, David Weir, will now step up and assume the role of acting technical director. He is someone with an excellent knowledge of the role and of our club’s culture from working side-by-side with Dan.

“As previously, we will conduct a search process for the role of technical director, as it is only right to do so. We anticipate a lot of high calibre applicants but we also fully expect and hope David will be a candidate in this process.”

Chairman Tony Bloom added, “We are extremely disappointed that Dan will no longer be our technical director. He leaves a significant legacy in place and for that we are greatly appreciative.

“Dan’s done an outstanding job and helped build on the progress the club had already made across all of our technical areas. I wish Dan and his family well for the future.”

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Real shame - big how much so many areas of the club improved since he came in will be big boots to fill

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Wonder who we've got lined up. Seeing as this has been rumbling on for a while I assume Bloom already has a replacement in mind.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Leaving a challenging and interesting job for one where he will look at the back page of The Sun, see who the flavour of the week is and throw briefcases full of cash at them.

At least the free time will allow him to launder (in the literal sense) the money he is getting to make it less red.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
six months gardening leave takes him to the start of next season...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
ASHWORTH TO LEAVE ALBION

Dan Ashworth has resigned from his position as technical director to take a similar role at another Premier League club.

Former Everton and Rangers player and Scotland international David Weir becomes the club’s acting technical director with immediate effect, having recently been promoted to assistant technical director.

In line with his contractual terms, Ashworth will now begin an extended period of gardening leave, after which he will be able to take up a new position elsewhere.

He will continue to report to deputy chairman and chief executive Paul Barber for any duties required during his notice period, but as is standard procedure with such occurrences, he will not be expected to attend the club’s premises, or matches, after his handover is completed later this week.

Paul commented, “We are sorry to learn of Dan’s decision. He’s been an important part of the club’s senior management team since joining us from The FA, and has made a significant contribution to our club’s progress in the Premier League and Women’s Super League.

“On a personal level, I will be sad to see Dan leave as we’d developed a close day to day working relationship. Dan’s been an excellent colleague and has become a good friend as well. I wish Dan and his family well for the future.

“However, as is the case with all top quality people in any industry, we are always conscious of the risk of losing key staff to a rival. With that in mind, we always put in place contingencies and succession plans that are designed to minimise the impact on our club.

“As such, our assistant technical director, David Weir, will now step up and assume the role of acting technical director. He is someone with an excellent knowledge of the role and of our club’s culture from working side-by-side with Dan.

“As previously, we will conduct a search process for the role of technical director, as it is only right to do so. We anticipate a lot of high calibre applicants but we also fully expect and hope David will be a candidate in this process.”

Chairman Tony Bloom added, “We are extremely disappointed that Dan will no longer be our technical director. He leaves a significant legacy in place and for that we are greatly appreciative.

“Dan’s done an outstanding job and helped build on the progress the club had already made across all of our technical areas. I wish Dan and his family well for the future.”

This isn't helpful, but looks to have been really well handled by the club. Obviously Ashworth has had his head turned by money, which happens, but he is leaving after the transfer window closes and the garden leave will at least provide some buffers for the club, before this unnamed premier league club gains from all the thinking that has shaped things in our club. The backfill is in place and I wish David Weir the best of luck in his new role. Let's hope he does enough to make this permanent and makes a huge success of his new role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here