Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
The thing that worries me is when I look at Dan Ashworth on twitter, I see a lot of West Brom fans say they started going downhill when he left them. If he goes then he is going to be hard to replace. As for questioning his character if he goes to Newcastle, the trouble with that is your ignoring the fact he is going to Newcastle and not Saudi United or whatever people are calling them nowdays. Although I think the Brighton project is more ambitious (as we are doing it without throwing all the money in the world at it) and suited for his skill-set, I can see why he has a decision to make.

It wasn't just Dan Ashworth though was it. Pretty sure Roy Hodgson left WBA for the England job and soon took him to the FA. Sure there was more to it than that as well.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No it's not. Many of my contracts have had a clause stating that if I left I couldn't poach staff. If I did they could have sued me for the cost of replacing said poached staff and any other losses. Obviously the clause was time limited.
Yes but to suggest Newcastle can’t poach any Brighton players for x amount of years because they hired Ashworth is ludicrous, and that was what I was replying to.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As always, I think the club are totally prepared to handle Ashworth's potential departure without missing a step.

David Weir is lined up to take on the top job and looking at his CV it is very impressive. His experience and qualifications appear to make him an ideal successor. He also has a masters in Sports Directorship.

Once again faultless succession planning demonstrates just how well run our club is.

This…..he’s a cog in the machine…….he’ll be replaced, the machine won’t stop. My own sense is the longer this goes on the less likely it is he’s leaving but :shrug:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yeah this.

He was an acquaintance of mine, when he was a teacher in Orpington.
He was a decent enough fella then, I'm sure he sttll is.

He has an opportunity to join one of the country's biggest clubs, with an unlimited budget, to build the best team in the world.
That's the offer. As a football man, that is extremely tempting prospect..

The Premier League had the opportunity to block the Saudi take-over.
Not sure why people think DA should be moralising about the ownership.

This. I can't say I agree with those who say that he would only be going for money. This must be a very tempting offer.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'd go if I were him. It's an amazing project for someone like him, there probably isn't a better one in the world at the moment. Let alone the fact it will sort him and his family financially for life. No-brainer.

I understand reservations about the owners, but that's the business he's in. There won't be another project like this where the money comes from sustainable sources from lovely people.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So you're saying Graham Potter couldn't join Newcastle because of a clause in Dan Ashworth's contract? Nah
Nah.

That's clearly not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that such clauses exist in contracts up and down the country in many industries and are enforceable.

What you are unaware of doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Nah.

That's clearly not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that such clauses exist in contracts up and down the country in many industries and are enforceable.

They are indeed. But in those industries rival companies don't come and BUY those people. I can't see why on Earth we would want to put a clause in like that. What if they came and offered £100 million for Bissouma and we wanted to take it? It would make no sense to have a clause like that, as we can just reject any approach anyway.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This…..he’s a cog in the machine…….he’ll be replaced, the machine won’t stop. My own sense is the longer this goes on the less likely it is he’s leaving but :shrug:

Yep. I'm not saying that he won't be missed, but the people working with/under him would've learned A LOT. Probably enough for us not to suffer much from his departure.

In my mind, it's a *little* bit like when Poyet left. Plenty of people were panicking that the team would go backwards in terms of performances, players and everything else but, looking back, they moved forwards – aside from the Hyypia howler :eek:

So IF he goes, all the best to him, thanks for everything and best of luck to the guy who takes over :shrug:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Nah.

But they're not a 'thing' in football.

And although I'm aware they exist elsewhere, I can't really believe they are enforceable, restricting the employment rights of an individual because of a clause in a different person's contract.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They are indeed. But in those industries rival companies don't come and BUY those people. I can't see why on Earth we would want to put a clause in like that. What if they came and offered £100 million for Bissouma and we wanted to take it? It would make no sense to have a clause like that, as we can just reject any approach anyway.
Which is why I posted above, I doubt it could apply to footballers.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
This isnt a one man club (excluding Tony), but Ashworth, however good he is, is replaceable. Im sure that there are others who can do the job. Pretty sure that his BHA team also learnt from him. I would be more worried if Ashworth took the entire BHA backroom with him - he is not

If he goes, then good luck to Ashworth. I'm not sure whether in the medium/long term this new job will give him the same job satisfaction. Yes, he can build up Newcastle youth/scouting set up, but will any of the players he identifies actually get in Newcastle 1st team? They will continue to buy off the shelf, good to go players for years to come.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

And although I'm aware they exist elsewhere, I can't really believe they are enforceable, restricting the employment rights of an individual because of a clause in a different person's contract.
They are enforceable, but would only delay an employee (and others) moving. Usually they are only for a few months, depends which industry you work in.

As I said above, they are an extension to gardening leave.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
There seems to be a lot of comments on DA's character based on very little evidence that he's actually leaving.

If he is leaving, then I suspect it would have more to do with the potential of winning trophies and building a world class team.

Can anyone post a link to the article?

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...-guimaraes-jesse-lingard-diego-carlos-1428043

Is a very weak story actually. Mark Douglas is the i's Northern Football Correspondent, with sources inside Newcastle and other northern teams. But this article doesn't mention 'Sources at Newcastle', it mentions 'Sources at Brighton'.

So I'm inclined to think these 'Sources' are Paul Barber at the Fans Forum confirming that he's spoken to Newcastle but hoping he'll stay, and maybe various comments on here and other media.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Nah.

Of course such.clauses exist in fact before retirement as HR manager I used to write them. However, it seems to me far more likely that if he wants to go to Newcastle it has been agreed he won't go until the transfer window is shut. This would stop him "poaching" for now. It is highly unlikely any clause would be effective in the next window.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
They are enforceable, but would only delay an employee (and others) moving. Usually they are only for a few months, depends which industry you work in.

As I said above, they are an extension to gardening leave.

I think if I was prevented from making a career move because someone else had a no poaching clause in their contract, I'd be wanting to sue someone for damages.

I'm not party to his contract, why should it affect me?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I wonder if David Weir is though of well enough within the club to step up now he's been promoted to Assistant TD? I suspect that Dan Ashworth's role was to set the blueprint for the role. Someone of his calibre is exactly who we needed to create the Technical Director role at the club in it's current guise and establish a structure and DNA for the future of the club. That's now firmly in place so it'd be interesting to see if someone with a slightly different skillset would be needed for whatever comes next.

Either way, Ashworth has been a revelation and will be sorely missed

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan

Thats not what such a clause would say though. It would say that Dan Ashworth is not allowed to be person involved in the transfer - its a restriction on his activities not anyone else's. If Newcastle could demonstrate that he had no involvement in the transfer of player A from Brighton to Newcastle then all is good - and it would be easy for Newcastle to say that they already were aware of the player before Ashworth arrived.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

It isn't about resticting someone's employment rights - it's about staff being poached. So if I worked for say Cisco and then moved to HP - I personally couldn't approach any of my previous team to join me. They could apply to a vacancy off their own back though. It's all about me enticing them to leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here