Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Looking at the back of last Saturdays programme we have a smallish squad of 20 senior pros (relative to pros in squads of other EPL teams). Well, we did move on and clear out some deawood last summer!

We are probably going to break our EPL points record this season and possibly finish in our highest EPL position. That makes it difficult for younger players to get game time when our pros are usually playing so well.

I think Alzate is worth more game time. IMO he is a better holding midfield Bissouma replacement than MacAlister if Macs last Saturday's performance is anything to go by. Sarmiento and Ferguson look promissing but IMO they need more gametime in the Championship, say for the first half of next season, to gain experience in first team pro-football.

I can see Van Hecke, Undav, Sima and Koslowski being involved with our first team next season. Maybe Mitomo too after he stars with Japan in the World Cup.

We need to move on the cheating and diving Connolly (he would fit in at Everton or Palace). Duffy would suit a Championship Club and there are quite a few fringe players who probably IMO will make better Championship rather than Premier League players; eg Clarke, Molumby (now gone to WBA), Karbownik, Jenks, Cochrane, Taylor Richards, Tolaj. As much as I like the effort Maupay puts in, if we aspire to be a top half EPL club, sadly he will need to be moved on too because to be a top half EPL goal scorer you need to be a clinical finisher.

The bottom line is U23 players need to earn their game time and when given a chance they need to shine. A case in point is Ferguson. When he has come on as a sub this season he has put in the effort and tried hard, but heclearly lacks experience and knowhow against seasoned full time pros. He needs a season in the Championship.

He is currently the top scorer for a team that is 1 place off the top 10...

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Whatever legacy Ashworth may have left at West Brom, there isn't much evidence of it now. Team not doing well, very disgruntled and unhappy fans and nothing vaguely modernising or innovative on the managerial front.

Yep, long term vision is often (continually?) blurred by unforeseen bumps and dips. Ashworth being a prime example.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I'm not sure why you've paired Connolly and Alzate. One is a flash-in-the pan liability while the other is a decent bench option that has never let the club down.

Apologies

I really rate Alzate and I am sure his attitude is first rate. The point I was making is he has suffered with illness and injuries and his career has probably not kicked as everyone would have liked.

Totally agree with you about Connolly

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Looking at the back of last Saturdays programme we have a smallish squad of 20 senior pros (relative to pros in squads of other EPL teams). Well, we did move on and clear out some deawood last summer!

We are probably going to break our EPL points record this season and possibly finish in our highest EPL position. That makes it difficult for younger players to get game time when our pros are usually playing so well.

I think Alzate is worth more game time. IMO he is a better holding midfield Bissouma replacement than MacAlister if Macs last Saturday's performance is anything to go by. Sarmiento and Ferguson look promissing but IMO they need more gametime in the Championship, say for the first half of next season, to gain experience in first team pro-football.

I can see Van Hecke, Undav, Sima and Koslowski being involved with our first team next season. Maybe Mitomo too after he stars with Japan in the World Cup.

We need to move on the cheating and diving Connolly (he would fit in at Everton or Palace). Duffy would suit a Championship Club and there are quite a few fringe players who probably IMO will make better Championship rather than Premier League players; eg Clarke, Molumby (now gone to WBA), Karbownik, Jenks, Cochrane, Taylor Richards, Tolaj. As much as I like the effort Maupay puts in, if we aspire to be a top half EPL club, sadly he will need to be moved on too because to be a top half EPL goal scorer you need to be a clinical finisher.

The bottom line is U23 players need to earn their game time and when given a chance they need to shine. A case in point is Ferguson. When he has come on as a sub this season he has put in the effort and tried hard, but heclearly lacks experience and knowhow against seasoned full time pros. He needs a season in the Championship.

Regarding younger players, Potter has given them their chance. There is no position in the EPL where we would play more.
Alzate is neat and tidy, but makes no difference to the team. His type of player won't help us push on.
Not sure what you were watching on Saturday, but Mac Allister was a close second to Welbeck for MoM.
Sarmiento may well go on loan, but I think he is already regarded as first team ready.
Shame you spoilt a decent post by referring to Connolly as 'cheating and diving'. I'm sick of alĺ the insults that go his way.
Maupay may not be a clinical finisher, but we can't afford them. And he certainly puts in a shift. I don't think many see Sima getting a sniff at the first team next season. Nailed on for another season in the Championship.
It will be fun to see what happens to build on this season's success and which fans get it right on player recruitment.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
We made a huge mistake a couple of years ago when we could have picked up Iniesta and Ibrahimovich on free transfers. I very much hope we will not miss the boat with anyone out of contract this time round

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Think he will need to recruit some better under 18's for Newcastle - they lost 13-0 to Man City yesterday!

Going to be interesting to see if he comes back to the Albion for any of our young players. I suggest TB may make it VERY difficult

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First I've heard of this - what's that all about?

"And Ashworth's handling of racism allegations while with the Football Association was also scrutinised".

Explained at the bottom of the link (sort of). Apparently to do with Mark Sampson's comments to Eniola Aluko. First I knew of it either :shrug:

Still. I'm sure getting Ashworth and Brailsford in to sort out a sport they have no background in will be a runaway success.

*cough* Rob Andrew at Sussex *cough*

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Explained at the bottom of the link (sort of). Apparently to do with Mark Sampson's comments to Eniola Aluko. First I knew of it either :shrug:

Still. I'm sure getting Ashworth and Brailsford in to sort out a sport they have no background in will be a runaway success.

*cough* Rob Andrew at Sussex *cough*

Sir Clive Woodward at Southampton was also a runaway success! Very funny and random.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
(fixtures?) Now reported in the Athletic that Brighton and NUFC have reopened negotiations for Ashworth to exit his Albion contract. Also says Paul Barber has signed a new long-term contract with Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here