Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth - Is he the problem?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Neither Potter nor Hughton spent that money, you would be naive to believe that Ashworth had nothing to do with outing Hughton, the club wanted something new and inspiring.

100% Correct. CH wasn't spending the money.

You only have to look at how many supposed upgrades on the full backs that were brought in. Only for him to have to keep reverting back to the 30 somethings Bruno and Bong.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Personally I don’t have a problem with Ashworth at all. Since he’s come in, the general quality of our signings has significantly increased and his contacts have helped us sign players such as Lamptey, Lallana and Welbeck.

I felt at the start of the season, and still do, that we finally had a Premier-League quality squad, and should be somewhere around mid-table this year. So where’s it gone wrong? Organisation, team picks and coaching:

- too many poor goals conceded on the break when the team have been playing a high line. Teams know how to beat us at home, and this hasn’t changed - last night was the latest example.

- no plan B when teams put 10 men behind the ball - teams know we can’t pass through them. Sheff Utd, Palace, Burnley, West Brom have all done it, and walked away from the Amex with points,

- really poor organisation at set pieces. Whoever is coaching these needs to go straight away - with a coach with strong Premier League experience brought in.

- failure to convert chances - see above re coaching. Our front players are now shot to bits, confidence-wise.

None of the above are Ashworth’s fault. Dropping Maupay when he’d been rested and his pecker was back up wasn’t Ashworth’s fault.

I don’t buy the “need a rest” point either. Leeds and Burnley both played the same teams that played on Sunday (more or less) and both won last night.

Sadly, because I had genuine high hopes and liked the guy, I’ve come to the conclusion that Potter’s coaching team is out of its depth. What I don’t know is whether we need wholesale change, or a bit of tinkering (but I’m leaning towards the former after last night).

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Personally I don’t have a problem with Ashworth at all. Since he’s come in, the general quality of our signings has significantly increased and his contacts have helped us sign players such as Lamptey, Lallana and Welbeck.

I felt at the start of the season, and still do, that we finally had a Premier-League quality squad, and should be somewhere around mid-table this year. So where’s it gone wrong? Organisation, team picks and coaching:

- too many poor goals conceded on the break when the team have been playing a high line. Teams know how to beat us at home, and this hasn’t changed - last night was the latest example.

- no plan B when teams put 10 men behind the ball - teams know we can’t pass through them. Sheff Utd, Palace, Burnley, West Brom have all done it, and walked away from the Amex with points,

- really poor organisation at set pieces. Whoever is coaching these needs to go straight away - with a coach with strong Premier League experience brought in.

- failure to convert chances - see above re coaching. Our front players are now shot to bits, confidence-wise.

None of the above are Ashworth’s fault. Dropping Maupay when he’d been rested and his pecker was back up wasn’t Ashworth’s fault.

I don’t buy the “need a rest” point either. Leeds and Burnley both played the same teams that played on Sunday (more or less) and both won last night.

Sadly, because I had genuine high hopes and liked the guy, I’ve come to the conclusion that Potter’s coaching team is out of its depth. What I don’t know is whether we need wholesale change, or a bit of tinkering (but I’m leaning towards the former after last night).

I’m still Potter in, but you raise some very good questions and observations. Great post [emoji106]

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Neither Potter nor Hughton spent that money, you would be naive to believe that Ashworth had nothing to do with outing Hughton, the club wanted something new and inspiring.

Naive ?

Give it a rest ..... I’m not for one moment suggesting Ashworth didn’t want CH gone because I don’t know.

But neither do you, so passing off opinion as fact means very little.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Naive ?

Give it a rest ..... I’m not for one moment suggesting Ashworth didn’t want CH gone because I don’t know.

But neither do you, so passing off opinion as fact means very little.

I was just quoting some facts to illustrate that we are currently worse off under GP than CH

And that under Ashworth we are worse off points wise since he turned up

And wages are the key stat, not transfer fees

Ok

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I was just quoting some facts to illustrate that we are currently worse off under GP than CH

And that under Ashworth we are worse off points wise since he turned up

And wages are the key stat, not transfer fees

Ok

Not really anything factual to prove sacking CH was a mistake though is there.

Appointing Potter might well prove to be an error, but Potter doing marginally worse than CH doesn’t make sacking Hughton a mistake.

Haven’t yet been in the bottom 3 under Potter, and haven’t completed two seasons under him either.

Yes you can claim the last 17 games under Potter have been poor, however no worse than the last 22 under CH.

And then of course there is the compete anti football end to the 2018/19 season which was quite frankly and embarrassment ... and compare that to what we are attempting to do now.

I can completely see that in some eyes currently appointing Potter was a mistake. But I can’t see anything which makes me think sacking CH was a huge mistake.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Did he? Sheffield Utd are struggling in the second season yet last season Chris Wilder was the bees knees around here. Bloom panicked after one dodgy Hughton season he should of known better.

We looked terrified in every game and played with no enterprise and 10 defenders.
It was embarressing and the anti football had to go.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We looked terrified in every game and played with no enterprise and 10 defenders.
It was embarressing and the anti football had to go.
Didn't here that when we beat Palace 3-1 at the Amex he also lost the pace in the side when Jose picked up his injury funnily enough it was the same game. On the flip side the expansive football project isn’t working either :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here