Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Damien Hirst, The Tate Modern, and the kids.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My kids went to the Tate when they were younger than that and they loved it. We've been back since and are going back again this summer.

Kids are often far more open about art as they don't have any pre-conceived ideas about what art should be (It works in other areas too, I read an article the other day about how kids are often more appreciative of modern classical music than adults are), so I'm sure yours will love it.
I'm pretty sure they'd enjoy the experience.
Even as I was typing I was concious of sounding a bit too Daily Mail nanny state, but the thought of turning a corner and being confronted by half a cow, seems a little extreme.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Is this one of his?

539444_416974678331991_205344452828349_1503727_106763908_n.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Went to a Modern Art museum in Munich last October and they had so surgical tank and pill display by Hirst that really was awful.

The Warhol paintings was excellent though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Take them. I think they'll be fascinated and interested by the whole spectacle of Hirst's art and as another poster pointed out will not have any preconceived ideas; visually I think they'll be amazed.

I saw the skull when it opened in 2007 and it is literally jaw dropping. I also enjoyed the theatre surrounding the piece-I'm sure most of the security guards were actors but it added to the event. And when I was 6-8 of course I'd want to see a huge shark in a tank; who would not?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to a Modern Art museum in Munich last October and they had so surgical tank and pill display by Hirst that really was awful.

ZZZzzzzzz. Dont tell me, your 5 year old could do better?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
FFS. It's an idiom, not a literal statement.

Oh yes, nice change of tack - sort of each way bet I suppose

I know how much you love to have a dig at me but do try a little bit harder in future

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well we're off tomorrow.
The Tate Modern and hopefully The Natural History, new sketch pads, at the ready.

It's not often we get out of Sussex, let alone to 'the smoke'.
I'll probably get stopped by the wallet police again.

th

Lush

Mods' Pet
There used to be a really good Michael Rosen audio-guide for kids (and under-confident adults) telling you the kinds of things to look for (like the little snail in the big Matisse "The Snail") I would imagine it's so out of date now that a lot of the art has been moved around, that I can't see it advertised anywhere.

Anyway this is a nice link to help you on the day.

Tips for families visiting Tate Modern | Tate

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fingers crossed I can side step the gift shop:-

The skull, daubed with "household gloss" paint, is entitled Hallucinatory Head and comes in a limited edition run of 50.
The eye-watering prices were unveiled days after critic Julian Spalding dismissed Hirst's work as "con art" and urged owners of his spot paintings to sell quickly before "the penny drops" and they plummet in value.
For those who cannot stretch to the £36,800 skull, there is a set of 12 china plates for £10,500, a spotted skateboard for £480, a deckchair for £310 and a butterfly-print umbrella for £195. Butterfly-print wallpaper costs £700 a roll.
The gift shop is the final room in the Hirst exhibition, the first major retrospective of the artist's work in Britain.
It includes all of Hirst's greatest hits, from the shark suspended in formeldahyde to the bisected animals and spin paintings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here