Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Not enough for hand biting by a long way.

£170 million is the prize for promotion.

That's pretty much the perfect answer.

No Premier Club will make a loss now. The money up there is just too great. Even the small clubs will make profits. If the Chairman want his club to start making money we need to go up. To do that we need to keep the best players.

Not at any price and by price I don't mean transfer fees for players. I mean by price that the players we retain need to want to continue to play for Brighton. So that's what we need to do in the coming days is make sure that the players in question are still focussed on Brighton. That's the challenge. Turning down Transfer money is the easy part.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
We paid £2.5m or so from CMS. We had to pay his whole contract and got nothing back. That's the way it goes. Stephens is an excellent player, he's improved further since joining us and prices have gone up in that time too. How much we paid is irrelevant really.

Has he told you he wants to go? The fact that he only has a year left does make it more difficult for us, but we really want to get promoted this season, and that becomes a lot harder if you sell someone as important to the side as Stephens.

Losing Stephens will be a big dent to our promotion hopes. Losing him for £5.5m would be complete stupidity.

I'm just trying to be realistic, of course I don't think it's the ideal situation and I'd much rather we kept him, but £5.5m if a huge amount to forfeit. Let's not forget, we can't afford to offer 1901 free tea and coffee, and we charge £250 per person to enter a bar.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm just trying to be realistic, of course I don't think it's the ideal situation and I'd much rather we kept him, but £5.5m if a huge amount to forfeit. Let's not forget, we can't afford to offer 1901 free tea and coffee, and we charge £250 per person to enter a bar.

Not really seeing the relevance of your tea & coffee / bar comments and, sorry, £5.5M is a p1ss-take in today's market...

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Not really seeing the relevance of your tea & coffee / bar comments and, sorry, £5.5M is a p1ss-take in today's market...
Like most clubs in the Championship we need to cut our cloth accordingly, and 'losing' that sort of money is crazy. Don't get me wrong, I want to keep Stephens, and I hope we do, but I just can't see the club writing off such a valuable asset on a gamble. That said, with Tony Bloom it wouldn't surprise me if he did go for the gamble!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Like most clubs in the Championship we need to cut our cloth accordingly, and 'losing' that sort of money is crazy. Don't get me wrong, I want to keep Stephens, and I hope we do, but I just can't see the club writing off such a valuable asset on a gamble. That said, with Tony Bloom it wouldn't surprise me if he did go for the gamble!

You do know we have turned down the bid, right!?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Spot on.

5.5 million is derisory and insulting to us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm just trying to be realistic, of course I don't think it's the ideal situation and I'd much rather we kept him, but £5.5m if a huge amount to forfeit.
With today's prices, I don't think £5.5m is that much for a player that we know is integral to our team.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd think the club have looked at possible replacement for any of the players that might leave, and if they think Stephens might go they'd probably bid before selling, so both deals could be done at the same time.

Course they would......will have been looking for weeks. Whether they can get any of their contingencies in is another issue......

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
With today's prices, I don't think £5.5m is that much for a player that we know is integral to our team.

Agreed. I think £5.5m is nowhere near enough.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not sure it is with less than a year left on contract......that said the market is just mental.

Burnley have £150M plus in their pocket (us next season, hopefully!) so, yes, it is taking the p1ss...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Best we can hope for is a bidding war I reckon.......

Best we can hope for is Dale stays and signs an improved contract... Burnley get relegated with the Scum, and we get promoted...

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
For me it's all about us signing a quality striker. If we do then we have a realistic chance of going up and I would say keep Dale and risk losing him on a free next summer.

If we don't sign a top striker now then sell him for £7/8 million as we won't be going up anyway and will need to put the money towards our huge losses.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Get Dale to sign a new contract for three years in return for letting him go for £10m+. We get better money, he gets a cut of the dough and a big pay hike in the Prem. That would suit everyone if he's going anyway.

something like this ....we need him back on the park and 100% committed to the cause......the ginger dalek :)thumbsup:).....can get real or do one...!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here