Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daily Mirror - not bad article

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Flipping marvel Kazenga LuaLua uncorked the last of the somersault wine and the Seagulls are still flying high.

But as Brighton were robbed, it should have been interfering linesman John Farries who was for the high jump.

Let’s lance the boil right away, because diplomatic incidents have started from lesser controversies than a fractious climax at the Withdean Stadium.

Bournemouth should not have been awarded Marc Pugh’s stoppage-time penalty equaliser. Referee Darren Sheldrake correctly signalled for a free-kick outside the box for hand-ball by Tommy Elphick, but changed his mind and pointed to the spot on the unreliable advice of his assistant.

John Farries, John Farries, John Farries. There you go, sunshine – you’ve got your name in the Daily Mirror. Now go and perform an unlikely act of gynaecology with that flag.

LuaLua’s stunning free-kick to put the League One leaders in front, and his family’s signature head-over-heels celebration, scored high marks for artistic impression in an otherwise dreadful spectacle.

Albion manager Gus Poyet has not banned his on-loan Newcastle winger from acrobatic routines, even though 19-year-old LuaLua’s brother Lomana broke his foot in an unhappy landing after scoring for Portsmouth against Arsenal four years ago.

Poyet said: “I know his brother hurt himself like that once but I’m not going to stop people celebrating goals – if he gets injured, it’s his mistake, not mine.

“Kazenga’s goal was worth the celebration because we had worked on that free-kick in training and players always believe in drills when they work.

“He is a great striker of the ball. We have been trying to take advantage of his precision and power, and he is a talented boy.

“I remember going with Dennis Wise to watch him in a reserve game between Sunderland and Newcastle three years ago – he was only 16 but even then he could fly. As soon as I got the chance to bring him down here, I took it – and credit to him for coming to Brighton. We tried to get him for the whole season but Newcastle were reluctant to let us keep him beyond January.

“We are still hopeful that he will stay for longer because he enjoys playing for us and we would like to do a deal now, but it’s up to Newcastle and the player himself. One thing is for sure – you can’t perform somersaults like that when you are sat on the bench in a dugout, but we were lucky to have him last year and we are grateful to have him back this season.”

Two years ago this month, Poyet walked the plank with Juande Ramos at White Hart Lane as Carling Cup glory, Tottenham’s only trophy this century, quickly unravelled into muchos cobblers.

But, as Poyet observed, let’s see when Spurs win another pot – and he’s doing fine without them now. Brighton are on course for the Championship, they are moving to a new £93million stadium in Falmer next season and on good days their passing is smoother than the old smoothie himself, celebrity Brighton fan Des Lynam.

As for Bournemouth, one pilfered point does not make them hardened burglars. A week after they were shafted by another linesman along the south coast at Southampton, the Cherries accepted their payback with alacrity.

Penalty saviour Pugh claimed: “From where I was, it was definitely hand-ball and definitely inside the box - although at first I thought it was one of our lads (Steve Fletcher) who had handled it.

“Last week two penalty shouts went against us, but this week luck was on our side and we were really fortunate.”

Amid transfer embargos, firesales and points deductions, Cherries manager Eddie Howe has procured a minor miracle.

Bournemouth have come on in leaps and bounds, but on this evidence Brighton are better-equipped to spring through the loft hatch - especially if LuaLua is around to provide the jump leads.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Penalty saviour Pugh claimed: “From where I was, it was definitely hand-ball and definitely inside the box - although at first I thought it was one of our lads (Steve Fletcher) who had handled it.

sums it up :laugh:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
John Farries, John Farries, John Farries. There you go, sunshine – you’ve got your name in the Daily Mirror. Now go and perform an unlikely act of gynaecology with that flag.

That sums it up for me. I hope he is ashamed of himself!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Penalty saviour Pugh claimed: “From where I was, it was definitely hand-ball and definitely inside the box"

Where was that exactly? A parallel universe?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here