Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daily Mail reporting Albion have rejected £4m from Burnley for Dale Stephens

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Pure speculation based on one on-line rumour. I'd be inclined to go with AN's latest tweet on the subject.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Andy Naylor who famously leads Albion fans up various wrong paths: "And now the one you've
been waiting for...". It would help if a) Naylor actually supported the Albion b) Naylor didn't use to sell dodgy Timeshare apartments in Tenerife in the late 80s (FACT) c) The Argus employed a journalist who was a bit less lazy when tapping his keypad.
a) completely irrelevant

b) potentially libellous (good luck)

c) matter of opinion

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Yeah good one. Nothing wrong with being concerned and having an opinion. You are aware the season has actually started and finding a replacement with less than 4 weeks to go till the end of the window will be difficult yeah?

Don't you think that our recruitment team will have a list of target replacements lined up? I'd be surprised if they haven't.

Hopefully he'll sign, but if he doesn't I'm confident we have other irons in the fire.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Yes, you're right, Barnes didn't 'down tools', but I thought he made it clear that he wouldn't be signing a new deal as he knew Burnley were interested and Dyche made him feel wanted. At that point the club decided it best to cash in, rightly or wrongly.

Barnes definitely wanted to stay, but some of the people at the club at the time mucked him around (and others), and he got fed up (according to his Dad, who I bump into every now and again - only one side of the story, but his dad seems like a genuine bloke).

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Barnes definitely wanted to stay, but some of the people at the club at the time mucked him around (and others), and he got fed up (according to his Dad, who I bump into every now and again - only one side of the story, but his dad seems like a genuine bloke).
Barnes was swayed by the cacophony of groans heard from the stands everytime he missed a sitter.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes, but they are still seen as a lot more likely to stay up than we are to go up...................including by Stephens presumably

Actually I am not sure that's true. If you asked pundits to pick their three relegated and three promoted teams between the Premier League and Championship, I think a few would pick Albion to go up but I doubt any wouldn't pick Burnley or Hull to go down. Doesn't mean they are correct but I find it hard to believe either will survive unless they make some great signings over the next few weeks and I wouldn't regard Stephens as a great signing for them.

Stephens won't care about next season. He'll see a chance to get a pay rise, move back up north (which some are suggesting he wants to do) and play in the Premier League. If Burnley do go down and he does well, another Premier League team may sign him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So is he going or is it all still bullshit and rumours?

Can I start to believe that he might decide to/ be forced to stay?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

That's your prerogative. Only thing we know is that the report on 7m bid accepted was bullshit... doesn't mean Burnley aren't still trying and won't continue to try until the end of the month.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Will be interesting to see if he starts tonight. If he does, given the team we're putting out, I think it's a fair assumption that he's no nearer to leaving. If he doesn't it will lead to debate about whether the slight injury story in the Argus yesterday is correct or he's in Burnley now set to sign.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Well if Burnley offer enough he'll be gone so instead of this cat and mouse shit why doesn't the club tell them £14m or look elsewhere as it's getting tedious.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
[/B]

Don't you think that our recruitment team will have a list of target replacements lined up? I'd be surprised if they haven't.

Hopefully he'll sign, but if he doesn't I'm confident we have other irons in the fire.

Exactly. Some of the comments on here amaze me. People do realise that we'd have players lined up if we got a huge late offer. This is not the same scouting system as two years ago. We've proven it works and need to trust them. On top of this, we'd still have Kayal, Norwood, Sidwell and Towell even if we couldn't sign anyone to replace Stephens. Sidwell and Kayal did pretty well at the weekend at Derby.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Well if Burnley offer enough he'll be gone so instead of this cat and mouse shit why doesn't the club tell them £14m or look elsewhere as it's getting tedious.

Because we don't want to sell him. Also, that doesn't mean Burnley will offer £14 million, they'll continue to put offers in below that.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Just cant see that he will start tonight, whatever the real scenario.. if he is recovering from a knock we wont risk him, if he is on his way we wont risk him. If he is in the squad and doesn't get on, then that may be more indicative but not necessarily..

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Just cant see that he will start tonight, whatever the real scenario.. if he is recovering from a knock we wont risk him, if he is on his way we wont risk him. If he is in the squad and doesn't get on, then that may be more indicative but not necessarily..

The club don't want to sell so I can't see why they would not 'risk' him, if he gets injured and Burnley are put off, fine.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Again, we can't stop them bidding. We may have said he's not for sale. There's no proof Burnley have bid again so it may just be these random Twitter sites making up rumours

We'll if Stephens plays Friday either from the start or comes on from the bench then I'll be more convinced he's staying but any more bullshit about he has a cold or hurt his toe nail so couldn't be selected then he's definitely leaving if the price is right.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is this something else I can blame BERK for ?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We'll if Stephens plays Friday either from the start or comes on from the bench then I'll be more convinced he's staying but any more bullshit about he has a cold or hurt his toe nail so couldn't be selected then he's definitely leaving if the price is right.

I can see where you're coming from but his injury in pre season was clearly an injury. He's not been sold and he played at Oxford and at home to Lazio. If he misses tonight and Friday, I'm sure suspicions will be roused but a player who is wanted by another team can be injured at the same time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here