Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daily Mail reporting Albion have rejected £4m from Burnley for Dale Stephens

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Is this just tabloid speculation then or anything more concrete?
I did think it was a bit odd bringing in Norwood unless one of our existing midfielders was off.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
If the rumor is correct and the offer is £7 mill, then the club have to either get him to sign an improved contract or except the £7mill.

or refuse the offer on the basis that it does not meet BHA's valuation of the player.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Perhaps we believe there to be a better offer out there or perhaps the way the 7 million is structured doesnt suit our valuation ie the up front part is to low and the add ons to push it towards the 7 million too unlikely to be achieved.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps we believe there to be a better offer out there or perhaps the way the 7 million is structured doesnt suit our valuation ie the up front part is to low and the add ons to push it towards the 7 million too unlikely to be achieved.

Well we have 21 days to come up with a better offer.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Or for Stephens to sign a deal. There seems to be little or no real evidence that this bid exists.

I would love him to sign another contract before the end of the month with Kayal also.
Give them both improved contracts with a buy out figure that the club is prepared to accept.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
or refuse the offer on the basis that it does not meet BHA's valuation of the player.

What do we achieve with that? £7 mill is a massive offer for Stephens,

Tony may think that the promotion odds are increased with Dale in the team, and is willing to risk £7m to gain £150m.
Of course, it depends on the players mental state. If he has said he wants to go, then we'll have to sell ala Bridcutt/Buckley/Barnes.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
We don't have to or need to accept any offer. He's our player for the next 12 months at least.

Promotion is much more valuable than any offer we are likely to receive for any of our players.

True but what makes you think promotion is going to be achieved this season, you are now gambling with (if it is truly the offer) £7 million!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If we sell we don't want promotion.

I am convinced of this.

I say we gamble and keep him and if we fail then fine he walks away for free. If we go up we could pay him the Premier League riches or he could walk for free (but promotion would mean any loss of fee is offset)

The ONLY caveat I have is if Stephens does a Buckley or Bridcutt then I say sell. But Dale doesn't strike me as that sort of player.

Thin end of the wedge. Question is do we want promotion or not? What happens next will answer it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
7M for a championship midfielder (albeit a very good one) with a year left on their contract ? The world has gone MAD :mad:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Tony may think that the promotion odds are increased with Dale in the team, and is willing to risk £7m to gain £150m.
Of course, it depends on the players mental state. If he has said he wants to go, then we'll have to sell ala Bridcutt/Buckley/Barnes.

Bit unfair on Barnes. He only wanted a modest increase to stay. He also didnt "withold" his labour like the other two shits.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
True but what makes you think promotion is going to be achieved this season, you are now gambling with (if it is truly the offer) £7 million!!

TB has been gambling a much bigger cumulative stake than that. I would say this is the strongest hand TB has held for a while, seems like an odd time to fold.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
From what i can tell some people are speculating that there has been a £7m bid from Burnley and AN says a deal isn't close.... is this correct or am i missing something?
HITC website getting it wrong again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here