Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daily Mail reporting Albion have rejected £4m from Burnley for Dale Stephens

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's the 'we already have a replacement waiting in Norwood so no major loss' posts and the like. If anybody thinks ON is going to be as combative and as much of a goal threat as DS then be prepared for disappointment. ON plays deep and was a great signing to give us options away from home, to come on late to see a game out and at worst fill in for injuries.

I would be absolutely devastated if DS leaves and i'd rather save having to find the positives (if any) out of it until such a time as it looks certain to happen. As others have said, if he doesn't get a run out tomorrow it's probably going to hit home, but not because of some trash tweet.

IMO Sidwell will be just as effective as Stephens and we also have Norwood. It's not great but we do have quality cover if Stephens goes, we really did not miss him at all on Saturday imo

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
It's the 'we already have a replacement waiting in Norwood so no major loss' posts and the like. If anybody thinks ON is going to be as combative and as much of a goal threat as DS then be prepared for disappointment. ON plays deep and was a great signing to give us options away from home, to come on late to see a game out and at worst fill in for injuries.

I would be absolutely devastated if DS leaves and i'd rather save having to find the positives (if any) out of it until such a time as it looks certain to happen. As others have said, if he doesn't get a run out tomorrow it's probably going to hit home, but not because of some trash tweet.

Dale Stephens, one of the best Championship midfielders who had a strong season - and contributes goals. We'd miss him.

But ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATED? Really? Thank god you weren't born a Pompey, Bolton or Blackpool fan....

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
But ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATED? Really? Thank god you weren't born a Pompey, Bolton or Blackpool fan....

I am also very thankful i'm not a Pompey, Bolton or Blackpool fan but not for the reasons you're alluding to.

If that's the logic you're following then I should have thrown myself in front of a bus when I was 15.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I am also very thankful i'm not a Pompey, Bolton or Blackpool fan but not for the reasons you're alluding to.

If that's the logic you're following then I should have thrown myself in front of a bus when I was 15.

Excuse me for being thick, but I just don't understand your response.

I was pointing out the fact that your ABSOLUTE DEVASTATION over the potential departure of Dale Stephens seems like an hysterical over-reaction when compared with some of the issues faced by other clubs (ie MUCH MORE DEVASTATING NEWS, LIKE FACING BANKRUPTCY, YES??). I thought I made sense.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Excuse me for being thick, but I just don't understand your response.

I was pointing out the fact that your ABSOLUTE DEVASTATION over the potential departure of Dale Stephens seems like an hysterical over-reaction when compared with some of the issues faced by other clubs (ie MUCH MORE DEVASTATING NEWS, LIKE FACING BANKRUPTCY, YES??). I thought I made sense.

I'm a bit lost really. Seems strange that you are comparing situations and mentioning other clubs since I/we have already been through that and worse in my younger years.

I'd be devastated if DS left yes, we are vying for promotion and irrespective of subjective opinions on his ability, it's a piece of the #together jigsaw removed.

Are you saying that because we have been through utterly shit times (that is us, you really don't need to give examples of other clubs…) that I can't be gutted that a player leaves and everything pales in comparison so c'est la vie?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If the rumoured fee of £6 million is true then I'd be okay selling him. We've already signed another option so we're not going to get ripped off for a replacement and I thought Sidwell was one of our best players on Saturday. It would be a shame to lose him after last season but that is a lot of money for a player with no Premier League experience and a year left on his contract.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
If 6.5 mil is the bid I think that'll be too good to turn down. Great player but we have 2 ready made replacements of a similar standard plus whatever deal we can do as a replacement. Either a backup for Kayal, Sidwell and Norwood or someone else to push them. If he would drop down to the championship Charlie Adam is someone who would improve us, he's aggressive and scores goals like Stephens. Last year of his contract and would be cheaper than Stephens because of his age.... Would depend on how much Stoke are paying him!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If 6.5 mil is the bid I think that'll be too good to turn down. Great player but we have 2 ready made replacements of a similar standard plus whatever deal we can do as a replacement. Either a backup for Kayal, Sidwell and Norwood or someone else to push them. If he would drop down to the championship Charlie Adam is someone who would improve us, he's aggressive and scores goals like Stephens. Last year of his contract and would be cheaper than Stephens because of his age.... Would depend on how much Stoke are paying him!

Charlie is on £60,000 a week at Stoke ???

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I'm a bit lost really. Seems strange that you are comparing situations and mentioning other clubs since I/we have already been through that and worse in my younger years.

I'd be devastated if DS left yes, we are vying for promotion and irrespective of subjective opinions on his ability, it's a piece of the #together jigsaw removed.

Are you saying that because we have been through utterly shit times (that is us, you really don't need to give examples of other clubs…) that I can't be gutted that a player leaves and everything pales in comparison so c'est la vie?

You're still lost?!! Wow.

I'll try one more time: As a FOOTBALL FAN, I was pointing out the term ABSOLUTE DEVASTATION when used in relation to losing a midfielder to another club as somewhat hysterical.I was using the plight of OTHER FOOTBALL FANS AS AN EXAMPLE (Bolton, Pompey, Blackpool were examples). I really don't see the relevance of what you were doing in the 80s/90s/00s etc. Yes I also watched Albion during their torrid times and it makes your response to a footballer leaving the club even more baffling (and he hasn't even left yet!). Especially when the club has been doing so well, had a great season and now resides in one of the best stadiums in the Championship. No-one wants Stephens to leave but jeez some perspective....

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
6.5 million would be a terrible deal and sends out the wrong message to other quality players who are in there last year also.

At the same time you couldn't blame Bloom though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No reason to sell him before transfer deadline day.

The later we sell him, the less time it gives other players to jump ship if they think we are selling last year's team.

About 10:55 pm on transfer deadline day seems about right to me.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
6.5 million would be a terrible deal and sends out the wrong message to other quality players who are in there last year also.

At the same time you couldn't blame Bloom though.

Once a player refuses to sign a deal you have to assume he wants out and is potentially a threat to team moral. 6.5 million would be a terrific deal and he is not worth that much, IMO.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Once a player refuses to sign a deal you have to assume he wants out and is potentially a threat to team moral. 6.5 million would be a terrific deal and he is not worth that much, IMO.

Kayal refuses to sign a contract and it didn't affect his performance yesterday or morale i take it

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No reason to sell him before transfer deadline day.

The later we sell him, the less time it gives other players to jump ship if they think we are selling last year's team.

About 10:55 pm on transfer deadline day seems about right to me.

We will not sell last years team, although deadline day will be a nail biter. It is just Dale (I hope) and only because the guy wants to go. No-one else seems to be in that position. The sad thing is, although he gets to play in the Prem, it'll be a struggle and losing more than winning. But they will probably double his sultry wages, and to be fair, if I was Dale Stephens, I too would go for the dosh.

albionite

May 20, 2009

In today's market £6.5m is cheap if a premier club wants. If he goes to burnley and does well they will be sticking a £20m price tag on him

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Kayal refuses to sign a contract and it didn't affect his performance yesterday or morale i take it

Yes but he has come out and said he will very happily see out his contract. I may have missed it but Stephens has said nothing and Bloom made a point of saying he'd refused to sign, if I remember correctly.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Do we get a better price on transfer deadline day if a buyer is desperate ? ???

Or will a team pay a premium to get the deal done early and stress free ? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here