Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dagenham & Redbridge Photo's

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Arrived at the stadium with my Wife and 2 Sons at 10.40am only to be told it was called off 20 minutes earlier - Oh how we laughed !!!

Still at least they let onto the pitch to do our own pitch inspection - it was rock solid !! ........ and I got a programme. Now that could become a collectors item !

Nice one for the album..................the family in front of an advert for a funeral directors................yes !

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Complete bollocks that Gus had it called off. Referees do not give these decisions over to managers. If they think its playable it's game on and if we refused to play we would forfeit the game. FACT.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Complete bollocks that Gus had it called off. Referees do not give these decisions over to managers. If they think its playable it's game on and if we refused to play we would forfeit the game. FACT.

Is the very much correct answer. Any one who thinks the decision would have been left to the respective managers is a fool of the highest order.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
So you travelled there, inspite of being fully aware that it has been sub-zero for the past few days and no efforts were being made to thaw the pitch.

And you expected what, exactly? A game of football. Really?

Bry Nylon you my friend are a complete :tosser. Spoke to the Daggers club secretary on Christmas eve. given weather at the time and expected weather, the game would be on. Word has been on this board today, confirmed by their secretary that our man Gus influenced the postponement

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Exactly. Gus will give his opinion of course, but it's the ref's call, end of story. Claims the ref has said the game will be played and Gus has refused are therefore complete shit.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Err, no. It has been minus 7 at night in Essex every night for the past ten days, rising to no more that minus 4 during the daytime.

Frankly, why anybody even considered travelling to Dagenham today is beyond me :shrug: The game was never going to be played.

Blimey mate, you've just succeeded in making me feel like a complete dullard. Yesterday morning, when I checked the 2 Club's websites and they both said the game was on, like an idiot, I began the 2 hour 15 min drive to deepest darkest Dagenham. I tell you what, at no point did I remotely consider IGNORING the fact that the game was described as 'on' and staying at home staring at my 2 tickets! Any chance of you cranking up that crystal ball of yours and revealing what next week's lottery numbers are for us could you?

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Blimey mate, you've just succeeded in making me feel like a complete dullard. Yesterday morning, when I checked the 2 Club's websites and they both said the game was on, like an idiot, I began the 2 hour 15 min drive to deepest darkest Dagenham. I tell you what, at no point did I remotely consider IGNORING the fact that the game was described as 'on' and staying at home staring at my 2 tickets! Any chance of you cranking up that crystal ball of yours and revealing what next week's lottery numbers are for us could you?

Actually, that's being a bit harsh on BN.

Considering every other fixture across the country in our division apart from Hudders (who funnily enuf are the only ones with under-soil heating) was cancelled as well I'd say it was pretty bleedin obvious the match wasn't going to be played and I said so like many others on the main thread on the subject at this time yesterday morning without the help of a crystal ball, Mystic Meg or Paul the bleedin Octopus!

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I don't live in Dagenham, I live 40 miles away.
If watching the weather forecast and then being able to form my own decisions makes me a smart arse / prick, then okay :shrug:

Still, you must be disappointed. Was it a school trip?

Why would it be a school trip? At 31 its been a while since i went on one of those! Is that the best you can do? Not really disappointed myself (other than not seeing the game) as only got 15 minutes up the road.
When next "making your own decision" lets hope you f*** up and miss a game that everyone else gets to see. Seems you take such delight in other peoples misfortune.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Actually, that's being a bit harsh on BN.

Considering every other fixture across the country in our division apart from Hudders (who funnily enuf are the only ones with under-soil heating) was cancelled as well I'd say it was pretty bleedin obvious the match wasn't going to be played and I said so like many others on the main thread on the subject at this time yesterday morning without the help of a crystal ball, Mystic Meg or Paul the bleedin Octopus!

Blimey! There's 2 of you now. Am I going mad? The Albion and the Daggers were saying the game was on, I like to get to away games at least an hour before kick off and I had a 2 and a half journey to do.......Of course I wondered if it might get called off at the last minute but I still had to start driving or I would have missed the kick-off. Think we'll have to agree to disagree....oh and I really don't think I was 'harsh' on anyone btw.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Blimey! There's 2 of you now. Am I going mad? The Albion and the Daggers were saying the game was on, I like to get to away games at least an hour before kick off and I had a 2 and a half journey to do.......Of course I wondered if it might get called off at the last minute but I still had to start driving or I would have missed the kick-off. Think we'll have to agree to disagree....oh and I really don't think I was 'harsh' on anyone btw.

No, you're not mad. I did exactly the same.

What's more stupid? a) setting off in good time risking that it would be postponed on the way or b) being at home when the game kicked off, because "nearly every other game had been postponed."?

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
The referee may seek the managers opinion which in this case may have been no, but the DECISION to abandon the game has to be the refs, if he left it up to the managers hed be in big shit, hes responsible, not the teams managers, i heard this rumour banded about yesterday and its utter bollocks, obviously started by someone who got to the ground to find it off.

I would be much more surprised if Gus had wanted to play, if the description of the pitch being rock hard by our own fans is accurate, what do these numpty fans want, half the team injured??

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I was told that the Ref was happy to play if the managers were. I used fact b'cos it seems to be the North Stand Chat way. Makes sense to me.

I suggest you stop listening to whoever told you that then, because that is simply NOT how things work. If the ref says play, then it goes ahead, it matters not one jot what the managers think.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Why would it be a school trip? At 31 its been a while since i went on one of those! Is that the best you can do? Not really disappointed myself (other than not seeing the game) as only got 15 minutes up the road.

Sorry. My mistake. When you called me a "smart arse" and "a prick" for expressing an opinion I naturally assumed you to be one of the schoolkids that like to roam this site during the school holidays.

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
The wife and I booked tickets for our 5 year old twin boys to see the Albion against Notts County last Friday. It was going to be their first game. We had to make a delivery of our Jams to 'Grocer and Grain' in Surrey Street on the way, so we checked with the club at 5 pm who told us the game was still on. Unfortunately by the time we got to the ground at 6.30 there had been another inspection at 6 pm, and the game had been called off. The temp in Hove was below zero, definitely not football weather.

The point I'm trying to make is that whether it was called off at 5 or 6 it wouldn't have helped the Notts County fans who would have made a wasted journey. I appreciate that it must be difficult to balance all options, but the travelling fans should receive more consideration than they do, especially when the weather is as harsh as it is at present.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
If it was pay on the gate then no, I probably wouldn't have bothered risking it.

Having shelled out £35 for the tickets though, and being told up until a couple of hours beforehand that it was on, you don't have much choice but to travel really.

Bearing in mind the conditions, I called their main telephone number and was put through to their club secretary on Christmas Eve morning. When asked he stated quite clearly the pitch will be playable and the game will be on. When pressed on this, he then said he was relaying the comments from his groundsman. I did question the issue of sub zero temperatures at night, but no yet again he restated the game will be on. Terrible PR if you ask me.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Bearing in mind the conditions, I called their main telephone number and was put through to their club secretary on Christmas Eve morning. When asked he stated quite clearly the pitch will be playable and the game will be on. When pressed on this, he then said he was relaying the comments from his groundsman. I did question the issue of sub zero temperatures at night, but no yet again he restated the game will be on. Terrible PR if you ask me.

Tin pot club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here