Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] D Day 80th Year Anniversary

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I went to school in Newhaven. The contribution to D-Day and the Normandy campaign was never mentioned. Genuinely, I was pleasantly surprised to hear it on regional news this week. Similarly, Shoreham Harbour.

You literally only ever heard about Portsmouth or Weymouth.

A positive thing in 2024 .... wondering if people have woken up to these things, the wider story.
I didn’t go to school in Newhaven, but have long known its role in DDay. I think it’s there to learn about if you want to. If I haven’t heard about something it doesn’t mean it’s forgotten. That word does sell books and act as clickbait though. Same with untold.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I take issue with the liberal use of the forgotten tag by historians. It’s so disingenuous! New haven isn’t forgotten, nor any other port nor anybody that took part. Everyone’s had a mention down the years. The frontline chaps rightly get the limelight over say a factory worker (even though thousands also died in industrial accidents); but doesn’t mean others are forgotten. Just not enough time to go into everything every year on the anniversary. But if you care to look and read or visit over the years as I have then I honestly don’t believe a single story has been missed in the general sense. Every contribution has been acknowledged, even though the canvas is vast. They certainly aren’t forgotten and never will be by those interested in like you and I.
I totally get what you're saying but, why isn't Newhaven (or Shoreham) mentioned in the same breath as Portsmouth or Weymouth anymore, as @Weststander says?
Why isn't it acknowledged by the main news outlets, when presenting D Day coverage every year, as one of the major embarkation points?
Why isn't Newhaven mentioned in the Ranger battalions story as being a training ground for scaling the bluffs at the now infamous Point du Hoc?

In that respect it has become a forgotten part imo.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulberry_harbour

a few years ago while walking round Lepe Beach near Southampton, we stumbled across places where they had built heavyweight stuff which was towed across the channel after D-Day. The whole “logistics” exercise was astounding.

and then reading bits about Worthing (where I was brought up) on the local Facebook pages has long been fascinating.

and where I now live (Chandlers Ford) there has been an exhibition mounted about things around the war and D-Day - I haven’t seen it yet, being away in Scotland, but everywhere had their part to play to a greater or lesser extent.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I totally get what you're saying but, why isn't Newhaven (or Shoreham) mentioned in the same breath as Portsmouth or Weymouth anymore, as @Weststander says?
Why isn't it acknowledged by the main news outlets, when presenting D Day coverage every year, as one of the major embarkation points?
Why isn't Newhaven mentioned in the Ranger battalions story as being a training ground for scaling the bluffs at the now infamous Point du Hoc?

It's very on brand for Newhaven that all the other channel ports get to be associated with D-Day, while Newhaven is mainly known for the unmitigated disaster of the Dieppe Raid.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

It’s not forgotten because we’re aware. As are many many more. It’s like anything, the news dumbs it down and has to an extent. Be a very long list otherwise for everything. No mention of Thames Estuary, Belfast, Liverpool…Scapa Flow either. Similar to Dunkirk in some respects, the Little Ships get the attention mostly when we all know the Navy did the heavy lifting. But legends are born and it makes a better story / plays to a narrative. That’s all, was ever thus. For just about everything and anything. Those that have the slightest interest know such things beyond common understanding.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20240608_115321_WhatsApp.jpg

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I don't think we ever directly learnt about any wars as such, unless you count The Troubles (which you probably should but again was more to do with the 500 years leading up to it than the actual Troubles themselves). And the trip to Flanders to visit the First World War cemeteries and memorials there.

One of the deputy heads / IT teachers was very into his history and I suspect was responsible for arranging a trip up to Newhaven Fort to listen to a survivor of the Holocaust talk about their experience, which I'm sad to admit I don't remember in anywhere near as much detail as I should do.
saxons , normans and the moores.....nothing of any use.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here