Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclone Yasi

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think someones been a bit creative with that picture.

I don't ever recall hearing about twisters coming out of hurricanes. Tornados form over land.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

I don't ever recall hearing about twisters coming out of hurricanes. Tornados form over land.

Apart from anything the little rain shower in that picture looks about one or two miles across. Isn't Yasi about five hundred miles across?

And if it was a cyclone you'd expect the sea to be a bit rougher than that. Nay, a lot rougher than that.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Amazingly calm sea for a cyclone of winds of 180mph too.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Apart from anything the little rain shower in that picture looks about one or two miles across. Isn't Yasi about five hundred miles across?

And if it was a cyclone you'd expect the sea to be a bit rougher than that. Nay, a lot rougher than that.

This, that isn't a picture of the cyclone, that's just a picture of a normal thunderstorm. That looks very similar to a picture or part of video I saw that was taken off the coast of Turkey with the multiple vortexes!

We'll see the damage it's caused once daylight hits. It ain't gonna be pretty.
The amazing thing is that it's forecast to continue to cross central Australia (obviously not as a typhoon) where it's due to give flooding rains to places like Alice Springs, which hardly sees any rain!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Indeed.
Its going to be bad enough as it is, but some people can't resist putting a 2012 Roland Emmerich slant on it as well, just to shit people up even more.

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
My daughter has been in Queensland since autumn. First the floods and then this. My wife spends most of her time trying to contact her in case she has been either washed or blown away. Latest reports from Brisbane say its going to stay at the very north of Oz.
She had a good day yesterday ... she killed three spiders who were trying to break in.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There was a stronger storm than our '87 effort, but there were no leaves on the trees and the ground was not so damp, meaning destruction was not as advanced.

Hopefully Queensland will have had a recent dry spell... oh... :nono:

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Button down the hatches! Very good :lolol:

Picture 33.png

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Isn't it batten down the hatches?

Either way, that was nasty and even though its been downgraded, there is still a long way to go...

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
When I was in Cairn's we got hit by what they thought would be the worst storm in history. Luckily it lost some of it's power by the time it landed. It still tore the place apart. Those pictures are immense, and I hope all my mates over there are okay.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Tis certainly alarming when they say that they aren't even sure if houses build after the 1970's (when building regs made houses withstand something like 160kph) would survive as they were predicting up to 200 kph....what is the world coming to...

Stu1

Sep 21, 2004
Leeds
I ve been stuck in Brisbane airport before with lightning striking the runway and the surrounding areas around the airport with golf ball sized hail, everything stopped and closed for a few hours, then everything started again like nothing had happened! This storm looks an absolute beast even though Queensland is used to it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here