Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists riding in the dark no lights & wearing black

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If you ride a bike at night you should be made to wear a high-vis and have some sort of standardised lights. Not those f***ing minors lights that are angled right into the face of motorists.

So if a cycle path is provided,are cyclists legally bound to use it,and if not,why not ?

No, cyclists are not legally bound to use them. I sometimes don't use them, because a significant proportion are clearly designed by people that don't ride bikes and are not fit for purposes. Many of them aren't wide enough for two bikes side by side, meaning no overtaking and being stuck behind a slow cyclist. A fair few (in Cambridge at least) are shared use; i.e. a pavement with markings indicating that one side of the path is to be used by pedestrians and one by cyclists. This requires being constantly aware of pedestrians (likely to not adhere to their side of the path, wear dark clothing at night, and generally ignorant of cyclists using the lane) as well as other bikes.

Bike lanes can be a great boon, and very useful in helping to encourage cycle use. However far too many are completely ridiculous. As an example, there is a bridge here where the cycle lane starts (on the upward slope) on the left hand side of the carriageway, as normal. Then, on the downward slope approaching a junction the left hand turn lane for cars suddenly starts to the left of the cycle lane, meaning that cars have to cut across the cycle lane to reach the lane. Try doing that at rush hour, when there's a practically constant stream of cyclists and cars. It is genuinely the most idiotic thing I have ever seen.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I was in the West End early Saturday evening and was astonished at the number of cyclists riding without lights.

Should see them all coming down Charing Cross Road and into Trafalgar Sqaure about 5.30. bedlam.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
I,m both a cyclist and a driver so can see it from both sides and I think there are a proportion of people out there who are just tossers whatever they are driving/riding. I don't think you can just blame one group of road users.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Cyclists in the road going the wrong way down a one way street is a new favourite of mine now I have to turn onto Trafalgar Street on a regular basis.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I was not suggesting that the cyclists I saw were tossers. I was just astonished at the number of people who would take so little concern over their own safety. Cycles with lights of any sort were much easier to see, and I was walking, not driving.

As for cycle lanes I rarely use them.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I totally agree that cyclists need to make themselves very visible and should use lights when appropriate. HOWEVER, before car drivers start slagging off cyclists they should look VERY carefully at their own driving behaviour first.

My experience is that cyclist are virtually invisible to most car, van and bus drivers (HGV drivers being the exception). I always wear high vis clothing and use lights even when they are not essential and that has not stopped me being knocked off my bike a number of times though no fault of my own.

What am I doing at the moment.............recovering from a broken collar bone caused by being knocked off my cycle by a bus who's driver failed to see me and turn infront of me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here