Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycling to the AMEX on matchdays.

For those in the know, what is the route going to be like for cycling from Brighton or Lewes to the AMEX once all the road alterations etc are completed? (ie- is it going to be fairly safe-ish?) And any idea where the bike park will be at the stadium?

Many thanks.

I refer the Right Honourable Gentleman to the Club's comprehensive update on travel arrangements for the Amex Stadium, dated 11 June 2011.

Amex Transport/Travel Arrangements

I hope you're now as reassured as I am.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would agree but I have found that this is most evident in cyclists who seem to consider that they are immune from laws etc and that people who drive cars and pay for that priveledge shouldnt be on the road.

Having been behind the wheel of a car, the handlebars of a bike and on my own two feet, it's my experience that it isn't any more prevalent in cyclists than in any other. If you just stop and think about the number of people who park illegally and speed, and everyone who gets behind anti-speed camera campains, and everyone who condems ticket wardens for giving tickets to cars that park illegally. Is this not a sign of drivers thinking they are immune from the laws? Of course it is and it is at least as equally widespread as cyclists that go through red lights or cycle the wrong way.

A good cyclist goes unnoticed. Bad cyclists stick out. It doesn't mean bad ones occur more often, just that you notice them more.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm a daily cyclist and as a breed i find us more bad than not. When telling one of my lot that he was an idiot for almost knocking over an old man limping across a pedestrian crossing he threatened to knock me out. Not all of us are bad, but we're untrained and generally make up our own rules as we go along. I imagine i was more perilous a pedaller until squashed into a coma.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
First prize for ridiculous response. Anyway try being me (or any other person unable to walk) there are steps up to the walkway/cycle lane, so I can't get my wheelchair up there. Also not very clever for cyclists come to think about it.
Sorry you have lost me. I accept that witha wheel chair you cannot get up steps but how does that affect whether the bike lane should be restricted to just bikes and not allow it to be used by pedsestrians. My point is it should be for either pedestrioans or bikes not both.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
nice innocent question ...mostly replied by plonkas who've lost the plot..we all know there are bad car drivers...bad cyclists and inconsiderate pedestrians

imho

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just my point it should be either a bike lane or a pedestrian walkway not a choice and mixture of both.

The car/pedestrian mixed usage roads in Brighton seem to work well. Ever considered the problem might be you?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Brighton isnt safe for pedestrians to walk because of the bikes and the riders tend to disregard one way streets and traffic lights so I shouldnt worry too much. Left to me they would have a communial bike park on West Pier for the cyclists of Brighton.

i expect you took part in yesterday's naked brighton ride? a relaxed liberal progressive dude such as yourself

The car/pedestrian mixed usage roads in Brighton seem to work well. Ever considered the problem might be you?
That certainly seems to be the case on the approaches to Falmer (from both the Brighton and Lewes directions), where cycle use of the shared paths seems, in any event, to be higher than pedestrian use.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
There are twats on bikes, there are twats in cars, there are twats on foot. It's not the mode of transport that's the problem, it's the twattishness of people

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I refer the Right Honourable Gentleman to the Club's comprehensive update on travel arrangements for the Amex Stadium, dated 11 June 2011.

Amex Transport/Travel Arrangements

I hope you're now as reassured as I am.

Do you know, Alex, Alex Dawson oo! oo! I read your very comprehensive and well-thought out question on Ask The Club the other day with great interest. However, I also read it with a heavy heart, being fairly certain that like every other question related to AMEX travel arrangements it was likely to illicit the time honoured “This morning I had meetings with colleagues and others and, in addition to my duties on NSC, I shall have further such meetings later today” response.

I know its not Insider's fault as travel arrangements aren't his remit and he is probably as frustrated as everybody else that he cannot tell us anything useful at this point. But the other day Lord Bracknell intimated that the Club has appointed a Travel Manager. Who is this person? I'm sure they are doing a great deal behind the scenes, but I wish they would start to outline their strategy and the detail therein.

Oh well.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
silly bugger should have been watching where he was going!

I don't think that was the point of the video. People park all over the bike lanes in New York so to avoid them you have to go on the main road. The problem is that you get a ticket from the cops for being on the main road, so it's a lose / lose situation which is stupid.

Last edited:

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
For those in the know, what is the route going to be like for cycling from Brighton or Lewes to the AMEX once all the road alterations etc are completed? (ie- is it going to be fairly safe-ish?) And any idea where the bike park will be at the stadium?

Many thanks.

Remember to lock it with some u-locks if Palace fans are down; light fingered.

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
Bens Grandad - Dangerous and very bigoted views - do you read the Daily Mail by chance?
Cars kill, cyclists rarely do. You are 250 times more likely to be killed on a pavement by a car than a cyclist. Yes, we have a few idiots on bikes in this City, but there again we have many that drive cars. Your user name implies you are mature...please grow up and stop fishing and re enforcing views that all cyclists are dangerous and public enemy number one. Where you a Nazi in a previous life?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here