Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And it's the one day I can't get on my bike - I have gearing issues that need sorting (and not by me). Enjoy!

Ah, but just think of the satisfaction once you've finally got it all set up.....

....That's after you've launched a few tools and thrown more F*&%^$ into it than you've let slip in an entire year of course :lol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Ah, but just think of the satisfaction once you've finally got it all set up.....

....That's after you've launched a few tools and thrown more F*&%^$ into it than you've let slip in an entire year of course :lol:

Oh, believe me, I've tried...again and again over the years. EVERY time I have made it worse. And yes, a lot of swearing has been involved.

New bike PM?

I've bought myself a winter bike - my LBS gave me a brilliant deal on a Specialized Secteur - same geometry as my Roubaix, but I'm not subjecting her to another winter. I love it, and have put a lot of miles in quite a short time. The cables have relaxed...or something.

Anyway, I am due a free service, so have to drop my bike off tomorrow.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Nice one 10.

I am toying with the idea of getting some bar ends and bringing my MTB back to life for the mucky winter. Even with 'guards, the synae was filthy. She looks fab with all the add ons stripped off after a clean.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What's that path like?

The little bit of it I rode was lovely, albeit very windy today. I just came out from Glynde and turned right towards Lewes and came off it again onto the industrial estate, down by the river then back into Lewes past the Snowdrop Inn.

I have to say I felt a wry smile come across my face as I reminded myself of the car loving whingers on here moaning about that cycle lane being a huge waste of money. I never encountered a single cyclist for the short while I was on it :lol:

I'll be returning there next Spring, GOD willing, with the kids as it will be a lovely day out with picnics by the river and we can go for miles on a relatively flat car free lovely smooth path. Ideal for our littlest on her single speed chunky tyred heavyweight first bike. The next two up can race ahead like they usually do over at Rye bay in complete safety. Everyone's a winner :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This morning I have been mostly listening to cycling podcasts:-

The latest Humans Invent 'cast gives Alex Rasmusen and NSC's finest a bit of a kicking, along with associated others, then some interesting track stuff.

The Bike Show - Resonance FM penultimate 'cast is all about Audax.
Not something I'm particularly familiar with but it did throw up these 2 events.

From the sublime:-
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-888/

To the ridiculous:-

http://www.londonedinburghlondon.com/

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Right chaps. Help required.

Yesterday I noticed a racket which I thought was 'guard related but then I realised it was a bouncing chain when freewheeling. On looking again, I think it is the cassette in 'spasm' i.e. rocking back and forth slightly. Any ideas?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Right chaps. Help required.

Yesterday I noticed a racket which I thought was 'guard related but then I realised it was a bouncing chain when freewheeling. On looking again, I think it is the cassette in 'spasm' i.e. rocking back and forth slightly. Any ideas?

Is your back wheel sitting in nice and tight where's it's supposed to be? May be worth undoing your quick release lever and resetting the wheel?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks 10. It came on after 25+ miles. Bike Radar chaps have diagnosed a dirty or knackered freehub.

I'll be returning there next Spring, GOD willing, with the kids as it will be a lovely day out with picnics by the river and we can go for miles on a relatively flat car free lovely smooth path. Ideal for our littlest on her single speed chunky tyred heavyweight first bike. The next two up can race ahead like they usually do over at Rye bay in complete safety. Everyone's a winner :thumbsup:

Beware, though ... going eastwards, the Glynde cycle lane runs out at Wick Street, Firle, half way along the Firle Straight. From there onwards, the ONLY safe option is to stay off the A27 and use the country lanes. This can add miles to any journey and probably explains why the cycle lane itself always seems to be underused.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Beware, though ... going eastwards, the Glynde cycle lane runs out at Wick Street, Firle, half way along the Firle Straight. From there onwards, the ONLY safe option is to stay off the A27 and use the country lanes. This can add miles to any journey and probably explains why the cycle lane itself always seems to be underused.

It's underused because it goes from outside a tiny village to outside another tiny village. There is already an unused road on the same route that could've been utilised for free. It's one of the "we have to spend this money on cycle infrastructure so this'll do" projects. It's not integrated at the A26 roundabout, meaning anyone riding from the Newhaven direction has no option but to stay on the road to turn right towards Glynde or stay on the road to turn left towards Lewes, and anyone wanting to go towards Beddingham/Newhaven has no safe way to turn left across the A27.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I appear to be too late to register for l'etape. Registration opened today, and sold out before I got home from work.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I appear to be too late to register for l'etape. Registration opened today, and sold out before I got home from work.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Looks to me like the link is still open to join (just without the hour in a queue that I had at work this morning)!
http://www.asochallenges.com/

The reduced rate places are obviously all gone now though, so it's going to be the full price if still available.

Good luck...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here