Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
And Pantani isn't the only one missing this race. Only 8 of us doing - down another 2 from the paltry 10 doing San Sabastian :( Unless we get fresh blood next season I can see it all fizzling out on here. I'm half minded to give it a miss myself even to be honest. And no, that's not me doing a flounce because I'm last in Eneco and SB has finally found a race he's good at :lol:

I've been away! Back for the next one.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Great performance from mo today but can you imagine the crap he'd be getting if he was a cyclist - massive performance jump, trips to remote Kenya training camps etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great performance from mo today but can you imagine the crap he'd be getting if he was a cyclist - massive performance jump, trips to remote Kenya training camps etc.
Not to mention winning 'easily' at events riddled with drugs cheats.

At least Mo's coaching staff have been talking a very good 'marginal gains' game, for a couple of years now.

But you're right, and it's such a shame pro sport has to now come with this raised eyebrow of suspicion.
For which an unhealthy amount of blame has to be leveled at cycling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jessica Ennis' coach was on something I was listening to, the other day.

He kept repeating 'no other sport tests more than athletics'.
He must have said it 4 times, it and the rest of his comments then sounded so hollow.
He sounded like he was protesting too much.
He was way too adamant about the cleanliness of athletics you'd think he was in denial.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

I've been thinking "God I hope he's clean" for longer than any doping ban he'd get if he isn't! I don't suspect him as such, no more than anyone else, but I now have a (probably unhealthy) cynicism about most athletes (in the wider sense). The IAAF aren't too bad though...

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Did a different route this morning. Less climby that my normal one, so I spun it up a bit. Fine for a couple of hours. Top half of legs really started hurting. Last 5 miles or so felt like walking pace. Maybe I should have aimed lower after a couple of weeks off? I'm happy to do 50 miles in under 3 1/2 hours though. Better keep mobile now.

How come you've worn your old tyres out Jay? Nothing on strava!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Exciting racing at Eneco Tour now. Groups all over the road! Gone for watching this over listening to our match commentary.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exciting racing at Eneco Tour now. Groups all over the road! Gone for watching this over listening to our match commentary.
That's a big shout, I don't think I can go that far into geekdom.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's a big shout, I don't think I can go that far into geekdom.

Well the gamble paid off.

0-0 as per usual against the Brummies (at half time) and got to see the last 30 odd km of a great stage. Thoroughly recommend catching any highlights. Semi spoiler - Dumoulin was immense working on his own in the 2nd group to gain GC time, and the sprint kick from Stybar at the end was bloody amazing! I haven't revealed whether the break was caught though or who won the stage.

Back to 2nd half Albion commentary now. Perfect:)

Edit: If you think I've gone ott with claiming that to be a great stage then dip into the thread on that board filled with moaning miserables who declare every race and stage to be boring....even they were impressed!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jnr Stat has just done his first sportive.
The 12 mile loop for the Evans Ride It event at Plumpton College.

He did really well, once he calmed down and started concentrating, it turns out as couple of falls is good for focusing the mind!!.

Loads of encouragement from the other riders.

He had to really dig deep over the last few 3 to 5% climbs, but as always tenacity and fear of failure saw him through.

You chaps have been holding out.
I didn't realise the amount of smokin hot lady competitors had gone up 10 fold.
There were a couple I have know idea what bike they were riding :lolol:

mrbigshot

Dec 15, 2009
Mid Sussex
Afternoon Geeks.

Looking for a bit of help on which road bike to buy. Rode a lot when I was younger and I've got back in to it recently riding a lovely old Dawes road bike which is about 40 years old. However I feel it's time, to treat myself to a lovely new shiny road bike. Budget is around £550. Found a couple already and would appreciate your advice and recommendations. The Specialized allez 2013 and the Trek 1.1 c h2 2013. Cheers.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-compact-2013-road-bike-ec040963#features

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/11-c-h2-2013-road-bike-ec040340#features

And SB before you hint at it I will think about one of the cycling caps!!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Afternoon Geeks.

Looking for a bit of help on which road bike to buy. Rode a lot when I was younger and I've got back in to it recently riding a lovely old Dawes road bike which is about 40 years old. However I feel it's time, to treat myself to a lovely new shiny road bike. Budget is around £550. Found a couple already and would appreciate your advice and recommendations. The Specialized allez 2013 and the Trek 1.1 c h2 2013. Cheers.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-compact-2013-road-bike-ec040963#features

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/11-c-h2-2013-road-bike-ec040340#features

Both are good entry level bikes.

It's all about your local bke shop - if you are near South Downs cycles in Amberley, go Spesh, get it from them. I favour Specialized over Trek anyway (and even more so after Lance, who made them a fortune, and all that went with that) so I may be biased.

But check out local bike shops rather than Evans - the relationship that you will build with them is important, a bit like a marriage...

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Afternoon Geeks.

Just had a closer look at the links - both bikes reduced to £495, can't be bad. So buy the Spesh from Evans, then develop your relationship with your LBS!

Hamilton (who is away until next weekend) has got the 2013 Allez - he loves it. He is quite a recent convert to cycling, but the Allez really affected him - so much so that he has now upgraded to a Tarmac - so beware, if you get the bug, it's gonna cost you!

mrbigshot

Dec 15, 2009
Mid Sussex
Just had a closer look at the links - both bikes reduced to £495, can't be bad. So buy the Spesh from Evans, then develop your relationship with your LBS!

Hamilton (who is away until next weekend) has got the 2013 Allez - he loves it. He is quite a recent convert to cycling, but the Allez really affected him - so much so that he has now upgraded to a Tarmac - so beware, if you get the bug, it's gonna cost you!

Thanks. Similar thing happened to a friend of mine also got the Allez a couple of weeks ago and loves it. Hasn't upgraded but most definitely caught the bug!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep more of the same.

You must have done some homework to arrive at a price that is spot on for all major manufacturers entry level bikes.

It's sale time and LBS' are keen to clear out 2013 stock, they'll price match.

Pretty much all bikes at this level will have pros and cons, so there's no right answer.
Your heart needs listening too as well, you will ride THE bike more than A bike.

Shop around try as many bikes as you can, you'll quickly get the feel for not only the bike, but the shop too.

Does your budget needs to take into account of accessories, again a good shop might help you out a little.
Helmet, clothing, etc. At some point you might want specific pedals and shoes.

You will need a decent track pump with gauge (£20max)

Sorry, no caps, they were a one time deal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and cheers, Moto.

My Garmin his him over 20 mph a couple of times. :facepalm:
He averaged 10 mph, and he really had to work hard up some of the inclines.

He was keen to start eating his banana after 3 miles, bless him.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
How long would one you seasoned cyclist's say it would take to cycle from the the top bit of lewes road by the stadium into the city centre? (going straight down lewes road)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here