Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I think I experienced the onset of my first bonk today.

Ah. (Was unsure about that definition.) Was that down to under prepping, or is that obvious?

I took 5 mins of my time yesterday which I put down in part to a midweek blast. A completely different experience.

Today I took a nephew out for a ride. The adults looked a bit shocked at how knackered he looked when we got back. Don't think he's done 6 miles before.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In other news, I think I experienced the onset of my first bonk today. Fortunately I was just approaching a large village and was able to stop there and refuel in a Co-op. It was a really unpleasant experience, my head was all over the place, when I saw the village I was filled with joy, but I soon started to panic again was I was really disorientated and didn't know where the shop was. Not fun!
The nearest I got was being in Bognor knowing I didn't have 'enough in the tank' to get home.
I walked into the petrol station and let my body decide the best cure.

King sized Marathon, Lucozade, and diet Pork Scratchings.

I got home fine and dandy after that, and it only cost 200 Swiss Francs :lol:

Today I took a nephew out for a ride. The adults looked a bit shocked at how knackered he looked when we got back. Don't think he's done 6 miles before.
What was that, 1 mile per year!!?!!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to admit this on here, but in September I'm signed up for a sprint triathlon. I currently have SPD-SL pedals on my road bike and over the last couple of days I've started to wonder about the transitions, I haven't really got a clue what the transition area/layout will be like, but I'm a bit concerned about having to run in my road shoes with the SPD-SL cleats from where I collect the bike until I can mount it (and vice versa for the second transition). I do have some SPD pedals and some mountain bike shoes where the SPD cleats are sunk into the sole, which would be easier to run in.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or recommendations?

In other news, I think I experienced the onset of my first bonk today. Fortunately I was just approaching a large village and was able to stop there and refuel in a Co-op. It was a really unpleasant experience, my head was all over the place, when I saw the village I was filled with joy, but I soon started to panic again was I was really disorientated and didn't know where the shop was. Not fun!

Transition is essentially a car park for bikes and kit. It will have several lines of scaffolding bars to hook your saddle on in your position (which may be numbered). Put your helmet on your bars, number belt (get one - about £5 and will make your life so much easier!) in your helmet, and shoes on your carefully-placed towel next to your front wheel. If you happen you use a brightly-coloured towel (obviously only to stand on and dry your feet with) all the better; although it is against the rules to 'mark' you place in transition a towel IS allowed (and bloody helpful when you get back in from the bike leg - looking for your bike when you're holding it will not aid your race!) You don't HAVE to run in the bike shoes - a fast walk will probably suffice. Put your running shoes (with elastic laces in) behind your bike shoes. If the bike shoes are Velcro-fastening only you can (so I'm told!) attach them to the pedals pre-race and slide your feet in on the move. I've never done this, but have slid my feet out and run barefoot back into T2. Re-hook your bike in the same place, slip on the running shoes and enjoy the jelly-leg pain!

What race are you doing?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Blimey, the crests of departure towns in the Tour of Poland.

You're taking geekdom to new levels JG, if I were wearing one I'd doff my cap to you.

Just been down that part of the world. Wroclaw and Katowice. Gotta say it's a lovely part of Europe. Especially as you can get a beer for a quid.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Any fixed gear/single speed riders on here?

Fairly recent convert, bought an entry level bike last year and currently spending a bit of time/money doing it up.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Fairly recent convert, bought an entry level bike last year and currently spending a bit of time/money doing it up.

I am in a sense. However I ride classic/vintage fixed gear/single speed bikes. Not the actual "fixies" of today in question.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Me! I commute on a fixed wheel Fuji Track bike. Single speed is the same as geared but with broken shifters!

Hang on - "spending time doing it up" = converting a road bike to SS?!?! ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fabulous finish to today's Tour of Poland.

DO NOT SEE A SPOILER, JUST WATCH THE LAST 10KMS.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hang on - "spending time doing it up" = converting a road bike to SS?!?! ???
Don't answer that Seagully.

Your time on this thread could be very short.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Hello all, I am cycling from Dieppe to Paris next week over a couple of days with my kids. I am looking to follow Donald Hirsch low cycling traffic route (http://www.donaldhirsch.com/dieppeparis.pdf) Has anybody tried it and if so anything to look out for. Bit worried about getting lost in the forests outside Paris!

On another note I only found out recently to my peril that you cannot bring bikes back with you on the Eurostar unless they go as cargo all the way to St Pancras International (we were hoping to get off at Ashford Station) unless you pack them into the size of a rubix cube. Great to see the cyclist are again never even considered in planning of any rail service grrrrrrr

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Don't answer that Seagully.

Your time on this thread could be very short.

I'm happy for him to stay. I might just have to refer to him as "that rapist", depending on the answer (and the frame), obviously! :)

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I'm happy for him to stay. I might just have to refer to him as "that rapist", depending on the answer (and the frame), obviously! :)

Haha, I bought a fairly cheap fixed gear bike to see if I enjoyed riding it. I'm now adding some more expensive/aesthetically pleasing components to get it how I want it. I.e. bullhorn bars, new wheels, better brakes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hello all, I am cycling from Dieppe to Paris next week over a couple of days with my kids. I am looking to follow Donald Hirsch low cycling traffic route (http://www.donaldhirsch.com/dieppeparis.pdf) Has anybody tried it and if so anything to look out for. Bit worried about getting lost in the forests outside Paris!

On another note I only found out recently to my peril that you cannot bring bikes back with you on the Eurostar unless they go as cargo all the way to St Pancras International (we were hoping to get off at Ashford Station) unless you pack them into the size of a rubix cube. Great to see the cyclist are again never even considered in planning of any rail service grrrrrrr
You need to listen to 'The Bike Show on Resonance FM' podcast. Tour de France edition.

Jack was talking to a fella who got the train from England to Mount Ventoux before he cycled to Alp d'Huez.
It sounded like a fabulous trip.
Anyhoo the trip nearly didn't happen because of Eurostar, and fella in question went into great detail as to how he got them to make an exception for him.

Worth a try.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
You need to listen to 'The Bike Show on Resonance FM' podcast. Tour de France edition.

Jack was talking to a fella who got the train from England to Mount Ventoux before he cycled to Alp d'Huez.
It sounded like a fabulous trip.
Anyhoo the trip nearly didn't happen because of Eurostar, and fella in question went into great detail as to how he got them to make an exception for him.

Worth a try.

Thanks, I will check it out. It is interesting when I spoke to the Eurostar person she told me they receive lots of calls just like mine so sounds like something they need to address

Are there any Eurotunnel options?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Haha, I bought a fairly cheap fixed gear bike to see if I enjoyed riding it. I'm now adding some more expensive/aesthetically pleasing components to get it how I want it. I.e. bullhorn bars, new wheels, better brakes.

You're safe!

I've never ridden bullhorns. I quite like riding drops. If you're riding it fixed then I'd highly recommend foot retention to give yourself more control. Brakes are a must-have too. We'll need regular updates, and ideally pictures too!

:)

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
You're safe!

I've never ridden bullhorns. I quite like riding drops. If you're riding it fixed then I'd highly recommend foot retention to give yourself more control. Brakes are a must-have too. We'll need regular updates, and ideally pictures too!

:)

Thanks, I'll keep you posted for sure!

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Are there any Eurotunnel options?

I think so but the idea was to get the Ferry over to Dieppe then enjoy the cycle to Paris. For something that seemed fairly simple has become a bit of a nightmare. Like the fact that when you try and book a ferry with a child and adult it will only let you book 1 bike for both of you! so then you have to go off and book that separately. I am sure that it will be all worth it when we are cycling along the cycle friendly Champs-Elysees (just like in the Tour, right?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here