Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Fantasy wise, from the Top Ten I have 1,5,7,9,10. I didn't have any bets riding as I couldn't decide from anyone of at least 20. Hopefully Pantani will have a 1-4 deal instead of a 1-3.

Relatively low scores all round, i was surprised to move up a place with my picks.

Amstel is going to be difficult, I'm never really sure how it'll play out.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The moment Stybar is out of contention at about 2.02.

Still can't really see what happened, looked like something at lower level hitting his bike or something, then those blasted few seconds trying to get his shoe back in the clip....arrrrhhhhhh.

Just a discussion point, but obviously the race is all about dealing with adversity, but in this instance, should the front 2 perhaps have allowed him to get back on? Would have cost them a couple of seconds ???

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The moment Stybar is out of contention at about 2.02.

Still can't really see what happened, looked like something at lower level hitting his bike or something, then those blasted few seconds trying to get his shoe back in the clip....arrrrhhhhhh.

Just a discussion point, but obviously the race is all about dealing with adversity, but in this instance, should the front 2 perhaps have allowed him to get back on? Would have cost them a couple of seconds ???

Maybe in a different type of race but the cobbles are all about momentum and they don't know if he's just cocked up/had a mechanical. PR is one race where people accept that mishaps are just part of the racing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would have been fantastically funny to see just how titsy FC would have got after a further 15kms of Stybar just sitting on his wheel.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
ZS had 1 plan, and even in that little clip, he was going to stick to it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It would have been fantastically funny to see just how titsy FC would have got after a further 15kms of Stybar just sitting on his wheel.

Just that clip alone shows some quality wheelsucking :lol: I know a lot of fans moan about wheelsucking as though it's the football equivalent of playing for Stoke or something, and I can understand that in a way, but I just don't see it in quite that light. All the riders know Canc is the strongest and to lose his wheel for a just a moment could be race over so to me it's just intelligent racing. Like you say too about pissing Canc off - just imagine the psychological one upmanship Stybar is doing on him there, got to love that surely!?. In the cold light of day that incident is even more gutting as it would have been great to see Stybar potentially do a Ciolek. But top marks for Canc too for mixing it up tactically for a change. Also, what fantastic bike handling skills from ZS to stay upright! That was some race yesterday. Still buzzing from it now.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Just that clip alone shows some quality wheelsucking :lol: I know a lot of fans moan about wheelsucking as though it's the football equivalent of playing for Stoke or something, and I can understand that in a way, but I just don't see it in quite that light. All the riders know Canc is the strongest and to lose his wheel for a just a moment could be race over so to me it's just intelligent racing. Like you say too about pissing Canc off - just imagine the psychological one upmanship Stybar is doing on him there, got to love that surely!?. In the cold light of day that incident is even more gutting as it would have been great to see Stybar potentially do a Ciolek. Also, what fantastic bike handling skills to stay upright! That was some race yesterday. Still buzzing from it now.

They weren't far off having two OPQ against Cancellara and it would have been a very different race.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just that clip alone shows some quality wheelsucking :lol: I know a lot of fans moan about wheelsucking as though it's the football equivalent of playing for Stoke or something, and I can understand that in a way, but I just don't see it in quite that light. All the riders know Canc is the strongest and to lose his wheel for a just a moment could be race over so to me it's just intelligent racing. Like you say too about pissing Canc off - just imagine the psychological one upmanship Stybar is doing on him there, got to love that surely!?. In the cold light of day that incident is even more gutting as it would have been great to see Stybar potentially do a Ciolek. But top marks for Canc too for mixing it up tactically for a change. Also, what fantastic bike handling skills from ZS to stay upright! That was some race yesterday. Still buzzing from it now.
It's amazing how infuriating being proper wheelsucked is. I couldn't do it, I'd be such a peloton bitch, in the final 10km and then really pe'ed off with being 'used'.
But with that said there's no point taking a pull for Cancellara, all you're doing is guaranteeing the loss.

I know there's a lot of 'he would say that wouldn't he', but mixing hindsight and foresight, I don't think ZS will have a better chance to win a Classic.

FC, would have had no choice but to ride to the line.
FC, didn't have the final attack to ride away from thingy, for which thingy has Sagan to thank.
ZS, had no intention to 'help' FC, weakening him all the way.
A 2 or 3 way sprint is ALWAYS won by the fella who least deserves it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That's one time we can definitely forgive a double post. We'll done guys - never done it but I know the cobbles are brutal.

Surprised to see quintana do so well today, the TT was obviously hillier than I thought.

Well done to Pogue Mahone & Hamilton, reckon you've earnt that drink there! Have a great day tomorrow watching the race, and hopefully it'll be a cracking race to take your mind off all your aches & pains.

Great stuff chaps, well done.

What he said.

Well done fellas! An accomplishment to be very proud of.

Thanks, one and all.

It was a brilliant trip, and as [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] says, recommended. But once only...

We had a 40 mile acclimatiser on the Friday, and we all wondered why they hadn't taken us out on some paves, so that we could see what the fuss was all about. They knew better - if we had done this, several people may have pulled out of Saturday's sportive!

On Saturday, we got the coach to the start at Busigny, and set off in slightly better weather than we'd expected. The first 18km was simple enough, then we turned left and I was taken completely unawares by the first set of cobbles. A category 3 set (or could have been 2, can't remember). Immediately it became clear that this was going to be tough - and the thought going through our minds was "What must cat. 4 or 5 be like?"

On we went - a relentless combination of headwind and frequent, long, bone juddering cobbles. Each section is exhausting, you need a rest after each one - give me a hill anytime, and I'm definitely no mountain goat.

The Arenberg Trench was...absurd. Ridiculous. We saw Sean Kelly being filmed here - I only realised it was him tonight, watching the highlights, I'd been talking to a guy earlier about how despite watching him on Eurosport for years, I still wouldn't recognise him. I was right. Bugger. I'd like to have had a photo with him.

But seriously, it was like riding on Brighton Beach. Getting through it was a great feeling. But we still had over 100km to go...

On it went - won't bore you too much - but it hurt. The base of my spine, my hands (you should see the blisters), my wrists, thighs, upper arms, you name it. Sector 4, L'Arbre, was another Cat. 5, and by being so much nearer the end it was even worse than the Arenberg. And Sector 3 followed immediately.

From there on in we ground it out, got there, welled up in the velodrome...then sat in tension in the coach back to the hotel watching BBC news updates of the Albion game. Kaz saved our day from being spoiled.

I've wanted to do this for a while. I don't want to do it again. It was unrelenting in its brutality. Have I mentioned this?

I enjoyed the race on Sunday so much more than I would have done if I hadn't experienced the conditions myself, and will always appreciate one of my favourite races even more than I have previously.

I may post later about Sunday, race day.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
1, 3, 4, 19 in the race. I still had Sagan in the team - I'd gone to France and couldn't change. Would probably have gone for HH if I'd changed, so a few points went begging there. Still, I'm happy with that, and got the chance to cheer on Fabian and Niki in their respective sprints. What a race.

Mar 12, 2008
Thanks, one and all.

It was a brilliant trip, and as [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] says, recommended. But once only...

We had a 40 mile acclimatiser on the Friday, and we all wondered why they hadn't taken us out on some paves, so that we could see what the fuss was all about. They knew better - if we had done this, several people may have pulled out of Saturday's sportive!

On Saturday, we got the coach to the start at Busigny, and set off in slightly better weather than we'd expected. The first 18km was simple enough, then we turned left and I was taken completely unawares by the first set of cobbles. A category 3 set (or could have been 2, can't remember). Immediately it became clear that this was going to be tough - and the thought going through our minds was "What must cat. 4 or 5 be like?"

On we went - a relentless combination of headwind and frequent, long, bone juddering cobbles. Each section is exhausting, you need a rest after each one - give me a hill anytime, and I'm definitely no mountain goat.

The Arenberg Trench was...absurd. Ridiculous. We saw Sean Kelly being filmed here - I only realised it was him tonight, watching the highlights, I'd been talking to a guy earlier about how despite watching him on Eurosport for years, I still wouldn't recognise him. I was right. Bugger. I'd like to have had a photo with him.

But seriously, it was like riding on Brighton Beach. Getting through it was a great feeling. But we still had over 100km to go...

On it went - won't bore you too much - but it hurt. The base of my spine, my hands (you should see the blisters), my wrists, thighs, upper arms, you name it. Sector 4, L'Arbre, was another Cat. 5, and by being so much nearer the end it was even worse than the Arenberg. And Sector 3 followed immediately.

From there on in we ground it out, got there, welled up in the velodrome...then sat in tension in the coach back to the hotel watching BBC news updates of the Albion game. Kaz saved our day from being spoiled.

I've wanted to do this for a while. I don't want to do it again. It was unrelenting in its brutality. Have I mentioned this?

I enjoyed the race on Sunday so much more than I would have done if I hadn't experienced the conditions myself, and will always appreciate one of my favourite races even more than I have previously.

I may post later about Sunday, race day.

Immense effort, well played chaps. The first time I've ever watched the race, brutal stuff.

Think I'll stick to being a wannabe mountain goat.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1, 3, 4, 19 in the race. I still had Sagan in the team - I'd gone to France and couldn't change. Would probably have gone for HH if I'd changed, so a few points went begging there. Still, I'm happy with that, and got the chance to cheer on Fabian and Niki in their respective sprints. What a race.

Good report, sounds like an experience of a lifetime. I can especially imagine the welling up of emotion as you entered the velodrome. I even had the tingle factor last year standing there amongst the crowds as Boonen entered and that's just a smidgen compared to what you experienced. Did they give you seats in the grandstand bit by the finish line as part of your package? If nothing else you earnt the right to sit down in comfort to watch the finish. When we went we was stood right about where Canc did his track stand yesterday.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
@ Pogue Mahone excellent reading that. I'm genuinely in awe of what you both did; I'd be struggling out of bed for day 2.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's if he could sit down.

Great report [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], I enjoyed reading it, so I for one would you like plenty more.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Also meant to ask...how did your wheels & tyres hold up? I saw an interesting pic earlier of what the cobbles can do to the tyres but unfortunately it won't upload.

Love the official race poster too.

pr-race-poster-2013.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here