Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My journey to the dark side is complete...

the-dark-side1.jpg

IMG_5922.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bases covered. Road, Winter Hack / X, MTB. Nice.

Shame I've got a bad neck and can barely turn side to side! :facepalm:
I've currently got a bad everything else, but that's all self inflicted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh a word to the wise, fellow Geeks, I finally eradicated the horrible clicking/grinding noise from my bike.

Everything worked well until about 5/10 minutes into every ride.
Then the clicking started but only when pedaling.
From then on it got progressively worse, before hitting the high point, riding under pressure out of the saddle, almost deafening!

My bottom bracket was a fair few years old, so naturally I assumed it was that, and had it replaced.
Still noisy.

Seat and post, plus headset and handlebar clamp cleaned up and covered with grease.
Still noisy

Finally I stripped out the entirety of the back wheel.
Cleaned, re-greased, then put back together.

I then stripped it out again, re-greased and then put ALL of the pieces back together, this time including the Wheat Crunchie shaped 'sleeve' I'd missed.

Et voilà, not only is the Stat Steed now silent it's also running the smoothest it's ever been.

Check your wheels chaps!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi chaps, thanks for all the expletives on Strava :smile:

Just to say the Isle of Wight was a great ride which I do recommend as a day out.

Granted I live on the edge of acceptable distance to ride the whole lot but it's a simple ride from further afield.

- The catamaran terminal is at the back of Portsmouth Harbour train station.
- The boat itself is well set up for bikes with racks etc.
- The Island has a specific well signed cycle route.
riwaclk.gif
(There are a couple of miles Colin 'finessed', as their route takes you away from 'tourist' roads)
- To do the full Island you need to make sure Cowes chain ferry is open and you have 40p :ohmy:
- The route is only about 62 miles, and as you can see, looks great on Strava!
Or you can shorten it, cutting across from Yarmouth through Newport.
- If the wind makes you want to ride one way, there's a specific cycle path from Havant to Gun Wharf Quay and the train station.

As said it couldn't be easier and is well worth the trip if you fancy something different, but still simple and close to home.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I managed to lose my cheapo Planet X shades the other day, so begrudgingly I replaced them.

As the shades were only £15 (with 3 sets of interchangeable lenses :thumbsup:) I bought this bundle deal for £20.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BN107AB/autumn-bundle

First impressions of the kit is it's bloody good value.
If there's a couple of bits you need, or would like to try, for me that's the arm warmers, the rest would seem to be a right bonus.

I wouldn't be surprised if the snood becomes a firm favourite.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
That's a good deal, I need some new cycling glasses, usually just wear my Oakley Hollbrook 'fashion' sunnies, but they're a bit scratched up now. I don't need anything from that kit, but think I'll take a punt at the sunnies.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's a good deal, I need some new cycling glasses, usually just wear my Oakley Hollbrook 'fashion' sunnies, but they're a bit scratched up now. I don't need anything from that kit, but think I'll take a punt at the sunnies.
They aren't ever going to be confused with Oakley's and have a 'disposable' feel to them.
But I had the last 'temporary' pair for a good 6 months and have been very happy with them, to the point of it being a no brainer to order up another pair.

As for the other stuff, I doubt I'd have bought any of it on it's own.
I've been thinking I 'needed' some arm warmers but couldn't justify their £20-£40 price tag.

The overshoes seem pretty solid, a skull cap is a skull cap and who could turn down a 'Flanders' beanie hat!.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
So why does my new garminge5 deal with random starting elevation points? It is anything from 200 ft too high or low. I'm not gonna correct it anymore because I'll lose elevation. The funny thing is, last time I did that it took me down to sea level when I crossed the river Medway on a high bridge.

So, can wheels fall apart? I noticed today that my rear wheel is not running 'straight'. Tried to correct it but can't. Fukken thing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So why does my new garminge5 deal with random starting elevation points? It is anything from 200 ft too high or low. I'm not gonna correct it anymore because I'll lose elevation. The funny thing is, last time I did that it took me down to sea level when I crossed the river Medway on a high bridge.

So, can wheels fall apart? I noticed today that my rear wheel is not running 'straight'. Tried to correct it but can't. Fukken thing.

It's a Garmin thing, if it's going to have a strop it'll strop over elevation.
Just click the 'elevation?' feature and it'll be fine.
I don't know if that'll sort it out in the long run, but I certainly haven't had that 'problem' for a while.

As for wheels, as said above, there's no harm in pulling the whole thing apart cleaning it up and putting it back together again.
I don't know if my bog standard wheels are the reason why it was easy, but the whole process only needed 2 spanners (and one to perform the job).
With that I cleared the whole lot off the wheel, freehub (cassette) included, cleaned it all up and re-greased.
Now the wheel couldn't be happier, and I can't believe it wasn't a job I'd done before.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol:

image_16353_1_195315_1_38903_1_48_1_600358.jpg

I might have to get the mug version of this, until a few more are ticked off:-

image_16353_1_195315_1_38903_1_48_1_860987.jpg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
It's a Garmin thing, if it's going to have a strop it'll strop over elevation.
Just click the 'elevation?' feature and it'll be fine.
I don't know if that'll sort it out in the long run, but I certainly haven't had that 'problem' for a while.

As for wheels, as said above, there's no harm in pulling the whole thing apart cleaning it up and putting it back together again.
I don't know if my bog standard wheels are the reason why it was easy, but the whole process only needed 2 spanners (and one to perform the job).
With that I cleared the whole lot off the wheel, freehub (cassette) included, cleaned it all up and re-greased.
Now the wheel couldn't be happier, and I can't believe it wasn't a job I'd done before.

Well, in 24 hours, where I live has risen about 900 feet.

I ain't taking nothing apart. This morning I got the wheel to run without rubbing the break pads but it still looks anything but round. As long as it makes it to the next service, that'll do. As for the noises, sounds like mudguards are on but they ain't. Wish I had put them on, never known it so wet without rain. I cornered and descended like a little girl this morning. Not a single smegging cup.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, in 24 hours, where I live has risen about 900 feet.

I ain't taking nothing apart. This morning I got the wheel to run without rubbing the break pads but it still looks anything but round. As long as it makes it to the next service, that'll do. As for the noises, sounds like mudguards are on but they ain't. Wish I had put them on, never known it so wet without rain. I cornered and descended like a little girl this morning. Not a single smegging cup.
I'm trying to banish thoughts of cups and PB's till next Spring.
Hopefully it'll all be about the miles for the next few months, dreaming of next years PB's.

I've managed to 'borrow' a set of Gatorskin tyres from Phil and have changed my brake blocks, so fingers crossed I'll be able to stop now.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've managed to 'borrow' a set of Gatorskin tyres from Phil and have changed my brake blocks, so fingers crossed I'll be able to stop now.

I've been meaning to raise Gatorskin grip. Even on dry tarmac I've felt the rear slipping on a bit of steep-out-of-the-saddle push. Puts the willies up me a bit. Might be my riding style though; I like to take my weight through my arms so really lean on the bars.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been meaning to raise Gatorskin grip. Even on dry tarmac I've felt the rear slipping on a bit of steep-out-of-the-saddle push. Puts the willies up me a bit. Might be my riding style though; I like to take my weight through my arms so really lean on the bars.
I slip about a fair bit when the gradient gets stoopid, probably for the same reason.
The gatorskins were free and considerably better than what I was using, so it's a bit of a win/win.
There's a big thread about winter tyres on bikeradars forum in the 'buying advise' section.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I slip about a fair bit when the gradient gets stoopid, probably for the same reason.
The gatorskins were free and considerably better than what I was using, so it's a bit of a win/win.
There's a big thread about winter tyres on bikeradars forum in the 'buying advise' section.

I've just upgraded to Gaterskin Hardshells for the winter. Very wet and slippery this morning what with all the fallen leaves. Felt OK grip wise.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Man, its tough to make the podium these days. I only made it by 10 feet of elevation. No wonder SB wanted me to 'correct' it.

:)

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
[uQUOTE=Motogull;7135379]Man, its tough to make the podium these days. I only made it by 10 feet of elevation. No wonder SB wanted me to 'correct' it.

I missed out by 0.1 of a mile to Tricky, and on the same ride too. :tantrum: :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here