Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Here's a rare treat.
It's a mountain biker not stood over their bike, holding a bidon, while pointing off to the middle distance.

Rachel Atherton becomes MTB world champion and World Cup champion

GoPro Run Rachel Atherton - 2015 UCI MTB World Championships / Vallnord, AND

Awesome. And so much better than mincing around on a tight rope with a safety line.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Check out these SolarStorm headlamps off eBay...http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA==/z/JZ8AAOSwHnFVzDg4/$_57.JPG

On my Thursday night club rides one of our guys has a set and at £15 there as good as another guy who has a £200 front lamp, he even said next time he's just buying the £15 ones. They did look the business especially in pitch black down some unlit country lanes we were going down. Getting a set myself.

$_57.JPG

Thanks BS. I'm gonna have to get over the same SB has. After I told some chums of my 500 purchase, I got this reply: Did you get the USB lights(the 7.49 or 7.99 ones)? **** they are bright. Only got a rear but it leaves a red line in your vision for ages if you dare look at it. Well worth the money for the visibility. Probably now blind a car driver into running me over.

I wanna be seen, not necessarily see if you get my drift. Ideally with a USB stylee charge up.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks BS. I'm gonna have to get over the same SB has. After I told some chums of my 500 purchase, I got this reply: Did you get the USB lights(the 7.49 or 7.99 ones)? **** they are bright. Only got a rear but it leaves a red line in your vision for ages if you dare look at it. Well worth the money for the visibility. Probably now blind a car driver into running me over.

I wanna be seen, not necessarily see if you get my drift. Ideally with a USB stylee charge up.

I got a set of these for being seen http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-usb-led-single-beam-light-set/?sku=5360618000 and been really pleased with them, in fact have 2 sets now. They are pretty decent for seeing where you are going too on non flash mode.

Thing is, having gone out on a few night club rides down country lanes with the boys and their headlamps, I realised I was woefully underlit in terms of spotting the all important pot hole.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I got a set of these for being seen http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-usb-led-single-beam-light-set/?sku=5360618000 and been really pleased with them, in fact have 2 sets now. They are pretty decent for seeing where you are going too on non flash mode.

Thing is, having gone out on a few night club rides down country lanes with the boys and their headlamps, I realised I was woefully underlit in terms of spotting the all important pot hole.
Good to see you too.

Last winter I was riding with wee-wee poor illuminating lights, and I overtook a fella lit up like Blackpool.
He then wheelsucked me for a couple of miles, but he was lighting the road in front.

Now I knew there was pothole as you approach the bridge, sadly he obviously didn't.
Unfortunately he was riding so close to me he didn't give himself time to react, there was an almighty crunch and it all went 'dark'.

I've got my eye on these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pdw-spaceship-front-and-radbot-500-rear-light-set/ but I'll need a 'proper' front light for my new bike.

I now want to know what's wrong with this:-
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/hawking-1000-lumen-cordless-cree-front-light-id82495.html

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:bounce:

At the moment I have a surprise day off NEXT Saturday, does anyone fancy a:-

CLUB

RIDE

We have plenty of options, although none to the south!

Traditionally when heading east the meet up point has been palace Pier @ 8:30.
If you want to Go West perhaps meet up at Worthing Pier @ 9am.
Or we could head north from Shoreham.

Are there any takers?

Can I lure anyone to Better Sussex with the promise of an armchair tailwindtastic ride over to start the morning?
I'm happy to come over, (with the outside possibility of bringing my mate Phil) to start at the Pier.

No time is too early!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has anyone heard of this before?

Phil got a p******** this morning and we were joined by a proper gnarly old skooler. (basically my hero)
He was saying how he doesn't get 'those', because he rides with 2 tyres on each wheel.

With 23mm tyres he cuts the beading rim off either a 20mm tyre or a worn 23 then packs it inside his 'outer' tyre, before putting in the inner tube.

I can't work out if it's genius or madness?

Oh and I bought some lights from these guys, Bike-discount.de, in Germany.
What with the current exchange rate they seem quite cheap for some decent quality stuff.

The day after I shopped with them this thread appeared, http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13037879 singing their praises.

Last edited:

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
2 tyres? Yes, I have 2 tyres on my bikes, but it's got to be crackers to go for 2 on each wheel!

Your German website should be good.

I used mistervelo in the summer for some cheap castelli bibs. Their delivery was slow and the address was badly handwritten, so I won't use them again.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Has anyone heard of this before?

Phil got a p******** this morning and we were joined by a proper gnarly old skooler. (basically my hero)
He was saying how he doesn't get 'those', because he rides with 2 tyres on each wheel.

With 23mm tyres he cuts the beading rim off either a 20mm tyre or a worn 23 then packs it inside his 'outer' tyre, before putting in the inner tube.

I can't work out if it's genius or madness?

Oh and I bought some lights from these guys, Bike-discount.de, in Germany.
What with the current exchange rate they seem quite cheap for some decent quality stuff.

The day after I shopped with them this thread appeared, http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13037879 singing their praises.
That takes me back 20 years, proper grizzly old schoolers who put an old racing tub inside a clincher for winter. Weighs a ton, rolls like shit! Just get a gatorskin.

Might have been necessary years ago but the tyres available now are so much better.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Quick bit of advice, the B'Twin Triban 3 was a heavily recommended road bike for a new comer to road cycling on a budget. Can the same be said for the Rockrider 560?

Includes:ROCK SHOX XC32 TK SOLO AIR 100mm travel front fork, 3x10 speed Shimano Deore/SLX drivetrain, Avid DB1 Hydraulic brakes and 26" double-walled AERO rims. high-performance XC aluminium MTB.

As the 2016 model is now out, they've discounted this model to £330, where Bike Radar forums seemed to recommend it at a great choice at £400.

I think I'm ready to give the dark side a bit of a go. Might look 2nd hand too...

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Quick bit of advice, the B'Twin Triban 3 was a heavily recommended road bike for a new comer to road cycling on a budget. Can the same be said for the Rockrider 560?

Includes:ROCK SHOX XC32 TK SOLO AIR 100mm travel front fork, 3x10 speed Shimano Deore/SLX drivetrain, Avid DB1 Hydraulic brakes and 26" double-walled AERO rims. high-performance XC aluminium MTB.

As the 2016 model is now out, they've discounted this model to £330, where Bike Radar forums seemed to recommend it at a great choice at £400.

I think I'm ready to give the dark side a bit of a go. Might look 2nd hand too...

Ha! There you go.

I have no idea if that is a good price...or a good bike. But welcome to the world of the MTB.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Old [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] is like some witchcraft pedlar on here pushing his MTB pills.

Don't fall for all that "I don't know much about it, but welcome to the world of MTB." He's a secret hard core dealer that is pushing his mud splatter amphetamine fuel fat framed springyness at you.

Beware! You'll be in those baggy shorts and not too worried about your pot belly before you know it. Next you'll be playing walking football for the over 50's and Pogue will be there saying "well I don't know much about it, but welcome to the world of walking football."

Meanwhile, he's secretly out there on his Roubaix bagging all YOUR strava segments. Beware geeks. Beware.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Ha! There you go.

I have no idea if that is a good price...or a good bike. But welcome to the world of the MTB.

You two need to have a good hard think about your futures. :down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is this what you want Bold:-

Cycle-in-Cyprus-001.jpg

cos that's what'll happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can't wear clothes like that! Loose and baggy, that's what it's about.
No, what it's all about is pointing off into the middle distance as something you're never going to ride to, up or near, while suckling your Camelbak.

Don't think you can win me over with some Happy Mondays, either.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What lights did you buy from the Bosche SB? My front light is behaving now, but is on a final warning. Wish I'd known about them for my cadenceometer which is now 2 weeks and 2 days since placed order. Might use them for a HRM.

No rides for me due to a boozy 3am on Thursday and and a non boozy late one yesterday. A real pisser given the weather.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What lights did you buy from the Bosche SB? My front light is behaving now, but is on a final warning. Wish I'd known about them for my cadenceometer which is now 2 weeks and 2 days since placed order. Might use them for a HRM.

No rides for me due to a boozy 3am on Thursday and and a non boozy late one yesterday. A real pisser given the weather.

Poor.

I was drinking ALL DAY yesterday, until late. And I got out.

Poor.

:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

This one:-

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/busch-mueller-ixon-iq-premium-led-139357

There's a fella on youtube who does a comparison video for the light that is 100% geek.
I wanted to laugh but i was too busy nodding and stroking my chin :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here