Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
image.jpg

How long before this becomes the norm for us mere mortals. Rear suspension on a road bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd say a very long time - its just not really necessary. To quote Sean Kelly just now on Eurosport - "you don't need it today, no bike is going to make a donkey into a racehorse"!!
Need and want are to very different beasts.

They'll be on the market just as soon as they've sold 'gravel' bikes to all the mugs that 'need' one. :wink:.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Quick update on my Holdsworth (for those that I know are definitely NOT interested...) I got the crank bolts off with a Laser 16mm magnetic spark plug removal socket. It has a really thin gauge and fitted over the bolts nicely. I went into 3 car garages and 3 bike shops and no one could fit those bolts, so I went in the Auto Parts shop on Vale Rd and they had this tool. As it happened the bolts came out fairly easy which is no doubt the cause of my creak when peddling.

Bottom bracket was crunching a bit so I've had that serviced with new bearings, and I can now rebuild the bike with new Shimano WHR501 wheels, 10 speed cassette, so fingers crossed, should all nicely work with my Shimano 600 friction shifters. In the end, this should turn into a very usable bike again!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Quick update on my Holdsworth (for those that I know are definitely NOT interested...) I got the crank bolts off with a Laser 16mm magnetic spark plug removal socket. It has a really thin gauge and fitted over the bolts nicely. I went into 3 car garages and 3 bike shops and no one could fit those bolts, so I went in the Auto Parts shop on Vale Rd and they had this tool. As it happened the bolts came out fairly easy which is no doubt the cause of my creak when peddling.

Bottom bracket was crunching a bit so I've had that serviced with new bearings, and I can now rebuild the bike with new Shimano WHR501 wheels, 10 speed cassette, so fingers crossed, should all nicely work with my Shimano 600 friction shifters. In the end, this should turn into a very usable bike again!

:shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a bit like disc brakes on a road bike, just don't see the point. Nice bike though.
Hydraulic disc brakes will be better than conventional brakes.

But, BUT when regular disc brakes are on everything from a Carrera upwards then the manufacturers have taken a step back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I have the day off does anyone fancy a:-

GEEK CLUB RIDE SATURDAY 11.07.

Time, distance, and location to be arranged according to who's going.

A general rule of thumb from the past has been:-

- Palace Pier 8:30.
- 60 mile ride.
- lumpy but no climbingfest.

Or we go and be humiliated by IL, in the New Forest.

:bounce:

Ok geeks can anyone commit to a ride on Saturday morning?
The earlier the better for me, I appreciate there's a big difference between my early and everybody else's.

My opening gambit for a route would be to head north in a devils dyke direction getting to Haywards Heath and Lindfield cross country (although I don't have the local knowledge for that).
From Lindfield turn right to Sharpthorne via Highbrook.
Coming back down to the Beacon parallel with the A275, through the likes of Horsted Keynes, Scaynes Hill and Wivlesfield.

I think that'll come in at about 60 miles.

Obviously that can all go out of the window in favour of a route specifically tailored to those who are riding.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just started riding myself, can manage about 15 miles before death starts to become an ever present thought.

I'll pass on this Stat.
Granted 15 to 60 is quite a jump, but you're more than welcome roll out, even if it's just for a couple of miles to say hello.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
It's a bit like disc brakes on a road bike, just don't see the point. Nice bike though.

I thought that too - but heavily laden panniers commuting into London Bridge on a wet morning has changed my view. Lots of braking for the TLs wears down my rims too fast on a wet day so my next commuting steed will have discs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] - going to have to drop out of the geek ride on Saturday. Our dentist has worked a bit of a trick and got us an emergency consultation with a paediatric dental expert in Brighton. Despite being a clearly over emotional, over reacting wimp of a parent, thought it might be worth doing our best to save his front tooth!

Enjoy the ride, I will have to make the next one. :thumbsup:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I thought that too - but heavily laden panniers commuting into London Bridge on a wet morning has changed my view. Lots of braking for the TLs wears down my rims too fast on a wet day so my next commuting steed will have discs.

Heavily laden panniers? That means you must have a pannier rack :ohmy: :lolol:

We are not talking about bikes for beardy weirdies to ride to country pubs here. Proper road bikes, where the thought of attaching more than two bottle cages would be aesthetically displeasing, that is what most of are thinking about.

Yes, I am joking, a little, but some of my point stands. If you have panniers you probably want more stopping power, don't think anyone would disagree with that, but on a pure road bike they are unnecessary. I think it is safe to assume that unless otherwise stated that people on here are talking about some sort of dream machine weight weeny carbon fibre bike. We do all after all still like to think we could be just a bit faster if we had one of those.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] - going to have to drop out of the geek ride on Saturday. Our dentist has worked a bit of a trick and got us an emergency consultation with a paediatric dental expert in Brighton. Despite being a clearly over emotional, over reacting wimp of a parent, thought it might be worth doing our best to save his front tooth!

Enjoy the ride, I will have to make the next one. :thumbsup:

A wise move! I'm afraid I'm unable to ride on Saturday as well, although I have nothing like the decent excuse that you have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here